Poll - Ranks, do we need them?

Should we get rid of the ranks (blue stars)

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 51
Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:20 pm

why not get rid of post counts as well? or is this taking it a bit too far? :? :)

No posts counts = all animals are created equal, but some (mods) are more equal than others :lol:
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:40 pm

Tom Marius wrote:why not get rid of post counts as well? or is this taking it a bit too far? :? :)

No posts counts = all animals are created equal, but some (mods) are more equal than others :lol:
Wow you are a radical aren't you :?:

Wouldn't phase me personally, but I'm guessing there would be a few of the members with mid thousands post numbers whose ego's may be bruised by such an idea.I suppose your join date would be the only indication of seniority/ dedication to the forum then.
A poll perhaps Christopher?

Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:53 pm

i just think it would be interesting. we'd be pretty different from all other forums out there. why not open it up to democracy again?

From all the people saying they like the idea that on this forum anyone from a noobie to a 'vet' can give good advice, i'd think that it would become more like a club and less like an online forum.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:57 pm

Stars? We doan need no stinkin' stars!
Not even sure if we need titles.
Something for Admin and mod prolly aint a bad idea, not that they have much to do...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

rednaxela

Postby rednaxela » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:05 pm

i voted 'yes' but lets keep the Mods titles and post counts.
thanks,

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:14 pm

Usenet never had post counts and never had any control of aliases, and it existed well along with its famous flame wars and what have you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

colafreak

Postby colafreak » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:47 am

Post counts and ranks are good for promoting activity, but I think they also promote pointless posting.

To generate activity, maybe the mods should have a few prizes like poster of the week, post of the week, most useful post, funniest post etc. etc.

X-wing

Postby X-wing » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:01 am

Oddly enough, I am all for the Mods having some form of differentiation.

I have found that people listen when a Mod steps in to break up a conversation that appears to be going the wrong way.

I'm all for identifying them, because I think it is a big role, and one which I would not want to take on. <Ok, that was a little shameless, I admit it :)>

Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:52 am

colafreak wrote: To generate activity, maybe the mods should have a few prizes like poster of the week, post of the week, most useful post, funniest post etc. etc.
I think thats a good idea, but maybe monthly not weekly? all depends on the dedication of the mods i spose :lol:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:27 pm

Tom Marius wrote:I think thats a good idea, but maybe monthly not weekly? all depends on the dedication of the mods i spose :lol:
Not dedication, I can vouch for that - rather time!
Infact if any members (colafreak hint hint nudge nudge) want to tackle this, it would be fantastic.

--

As many have noticed - the "Senior Member" title has been dropped. Expert and Mod titles remain - also my admin - make it easy for people to contact me particularly with registration issues.

The Mods now have the bicycle sign above their avatar - no heirachy but a nice little identifier. Hope this works for the majority.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

roller

Postby roller » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:32 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Image
Stars? We doan need no stinkin' stars!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!
inflammatory statement or idea