self healing slime tubes

mountain tamer

self healing slime tubes

Postby mountain tamer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:38 pm

has anyone had any experience with these tubes? I put some on yesterday and was interested in if they actually work, and if it is worth carrying the extra weight?
The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple:...
The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:56 pm

They work well for punctures and are great for areas with lots of thorns. But if you're expecting them to prevent pinch flats you will be disappointed.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:43 pm

Tubeless ...or cheap tubeless is a better option IMHO....the cheap tubeless option probably only costs the same as those tubes.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:52 pm

The DIY tubeless system is the best option for both puncture resistance and traction/control off the road. However, you're running Kenda tyres which are known to be unsuitable for converting to tubeless (their sidewalls delaminate).

When the tyres you have wear out, investigate going tubeless. In the meantime, normal tubes with Slime added by you is a good option (better than pre-Slimed tubes). As Alchemist said though - don't expect them to work with pinch flats.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:22 am

Kalgrm wrote:However, you're running Kenda tyres which are known to be unsuitable for converting to tubeless (their sidewalls delaminate).

Cheers,
Graeme
Yeah have a set of small block 8s on myself at the minute, the one tyre sealed fine but the other took a good while due to the sidewalls. Was about 2 days of checking and re adding air before they were good. Possibly would of been better if I had the chance to ride it as soon as I fitted them. :?:

mountain tamer

Postby mountain tamer » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:50 am

hmm yer thanks..I will consider tubeless when my kendas wear out.

one question about tubeless..what happens if you are out on the trail and have a freak accident pulling the tire of the rim, what do you do? is it safer to use tubes?
The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple:...
The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:21 pm

Depending on the tyre rim combination you may be able to get it to reseat and inflate with a hand pump, else just put a tube in.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:17 pm

Yep, you carry a spare tube, just as you would now. You'd really only need it if you slashed your sidewall on a rock though.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:41 pm

mountain tamer wrote: one question about tubeless..what happens if you are out on the trail and have a freak accident pulling the tire of the rim, what do you do? is it safer to use tubes?

Only burped a tyre the once in the final race of the winter season last year. Was only carrying 1 co2 canister and it didn't seal, so end of race :(

No problems sticking a tube in though and you'd be away. As Alchemist says depends on rim and tyre combo. I've not tried a hand pump, but ust tyres are pretty easy to seal with a floor pump. Folding tyres with my stans rims are a different story though, and I can only do it with a compressor.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:49 pm

re: tubeless: my thought is that they are safer due to the better traction and greater control they bring.

I burped a tyre off recently, thanks to a combo of too-low pressure (<20psi :oops: ) and the youngster stopping dead in front, forcing me to grab a fistful of front brake - just as I landed the front tyre on the side of a rock.

It wasn't a problem. I just unscrewed and pushed the tubeless valve out, and fitted a standard presta-valved tube, pumped her up and away we went. Took a little while to figure out the valve removal but will be much quicker next time.

If you're doing the ghetto tubeless conversion, just carry in your saddlebag the same tube as you're currently using on your tubes setup and you'll be fine. 8)