Utility MTB..ie pub/shopping bike.(show us yours)

brauluver

Utility MTB..ie pub/shopping bike.(show us yours)

Postby brauluver » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:44 pm

Hey there, this is my first post in this sub forum.
Ive gotten back into cycling in the last 6 months and have got the bug bad(can't have enough bikes/options).

Back in the 90's I had a repco max tracks with slicks as my everything bike, and its long since gone.

My current stable is as follows 1: Haro Revo BMX (02) Hard rubbish score rebuilt.
2:Giant Bowery S/S(09).
3:Super Elliot (40's) Track bike hard rubbish score (awaiting rebuild)
4:Repco/Giant Cro Mo road bike rebuild (in progress)
5:And last but not least a Standish Barossa rigid fork/hardtail MTB (hard rubbish score).

I have been looking around for an old school MTB for a while and was stoked to pick up the Standish.All it needed was a good clean and service to make it A1 again.
I've fitted some flat bars in place of the riser and swapped the plastic pedals and only need to get some hand grips now to complete it.
It has a side stand and a carrier rack too.
It's solid and heavy but rides pretty darn comfortably with its gel/flexy saddle.
This bike will serve the purpose of a shopping/taking the eldest(9) for rides along linear park and dirt trails type bike.Sling our bikes on the car rack and drop in on the track somewhere for an hour or so.

It's really got me excited about just riding on a forgiving tank of a bike that won't let me down..

Just curious if any of you guys have something similar in your stable that fills in the utility/pub bike gap(pics maybe).

Cheers Dave

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:53 am

nice find!

It looks like you just need some handle bar grips....
Andrew

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:00 pm

Lark2004 wrote:nice find!

It looks like you just need some handle bar grips....
yep, just fitted some now, just need a window to open up and I'll take it for a quick fang around the block.

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:31 pm

sounds like me... It's been raining all morning, and now there is a break in the weather, I was getting excited about going for a ride, but a friend just called and needs help with their car.......*(&%$&^&*(*)()*& :x

I really feel like being selfish and telling them "tuff luck, go see a mechanic..."

Then I thought, I'll ride over there, kill two birds with one stone......till SWMBO tells me I have to take the kids too.... :roll: The youngest would never make the ride there and back..... so no ride for me......again.....
Andrew

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:43 pm

Surely I'm not the only one with an old tank utility bike on here?

xx68

Postby xx68 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:12 am

Nah , of course not ! Here's a couple of mine ....

My favourite shop bike ,No -One will ever steal it , esp as its geared about 36-13 !

I have a couple more 80's MTB , but the tyres have shagged out on them - the're on the resto list !
I picked up a nice ricardo road bike the other day ( off the rubbish) pumped up the tyres ,which are rooted and used it the ride in the rain ! Rather than get my 'fancy mans bike ' wet n dirrty ....People just throw good stuff out !

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:51 am

This is my shopping bike. It started as a bike for my wife, but it didn't fit her well so I bought her a hybrid.

Fletch

Postby Fletch » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:09 pm

My cruiser

cro moly frame full Deore Xt 6 spd groupset

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:46 pm

Fletch wrote:My cruiser

cro moly frame full Deore Xt 6 spd groupset
That's a tough lookin bike right there.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:50 pm

2003/4 Raleigh M200 from neighbours garage sale a few years ago for $15

Crank, pedal, seat, post, stem, bars, derailleurs, brakes and levers all upgraded with hard rubbish parts

Heavy, clunky SR Suntour front forks replaced with 'suspension corrected'* :wink: Shogun CrMo hybrid 700C forks and front wheel with Maxxis Overdrive tyres, all from hard rubbish

A $20 front shopping basket from Velogear this week has doubled the amount of hard cash I've spent on this bike! :lol:

A bit small for me, but ok for popping down the Post Office on, and riding some small local trails with my five year old :) And it weighs a respectable 12.5kg

*The 700C fork and front wheel has kept similar steering geometry to original, and it rides quite nice with the 26" rear

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:13 pm

kukamunga wrote:Image
2003/4 Raleigh M200 from neighbours garage sale a few years ago for $15

Crank, pedal, seat, post, stem, bars, derailleurs, brakes and levers all upgraded with hard rubbish parts

Heavy, clunky SR Suntour front forks replaced with 'suspension corrected'* :wink: Shogun CrMo hybrid 700C forks and front wheel with Maxxis Overdrive tyres, all from hard rubbish

A $20 front shopping basket from Velogear this week has doubled the amount of hard cash I've spent on this bike! :lol:

A bit small for me, but ok for popping down the Post Office on, and riding some small local trails with my five year old :) And it weighs a respectable 12.5kg

*The 700C fork and front wheel has kept similar steering geometry to original, and it rides quite nice with the 26" rear
I think that would be classified as a hybrid with all those bits :lol:

Bitsa's are the best especially at that price.