Perth Bicycle Show

TonyS

Perth Bicycle Show

Postby TonyS » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:27 pm

It is early days, but Bikewest is investigating the idea of coordinating a local annual bicycle expo along similar lines to the Perth Motor Show, Perth Motorcycle and Scooter Show etc.

It would probably be run over three days (Fri, Sat, Sun) and include the standard things such as retailer/wholesaler displays, fashion parades, test track etc.

I thought that a number of you may have visited similar bike shows in other parts of the world and may have seen something worth including in our Perth show. If so, please feel free to comment.

cavebear2

Re: Perth Bicycle Show

Postby cavebear2 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:52 pm

TonyS wrote:It is early days, but Bikewest is investigating the idea of coordinating a local annual bicycle expo along similar lines to the Perth Motor Show, Perth Motorcycle and Scooter Show etc.

It would probably be run over three days (Fri, Sat, Sun) and include the standard things such as retailer/wholesaler displays, fashion parades, test track etc.

I thought that a number of you may have visited similar bike shows in other parts of the world and may have seen something worth including in our Perth show. If so, please feel free to comment.
Na I never have, but definitely would if it was on here in Perth :!:
It would beat boring motor / boating / caravaning shows hands down.

nimm

Postby nimm » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:02 am

yes please
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:11 am

Sounds great!
I doubt parking will be less of a problem than the 4WD/Caravan/Car shows... ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:23 am

You're asking if the drug addicts would like free access to the pharmaceutical company showroom? Hell yeah!!!! :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

subseacyclist

Postby subseacyclist » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:21 am

Great idea.
Best one i've seen is the Cycle Expo held for the Argus Cycle Tour in Cape Town. Registration for the event is at the show, so that guarantees them at least 35 000 people at the show over 3 days, plus all their mates and partners (they always go along to keep a lid on the spending). Fantastic show - and usually a spending frenzy. Plenty of demos, shows, new products etc.
It will be tough to get the bike manufacturers to a small show when it starts out, but companies like Polar and Garmin seem keen to promote themselves. Even if the local shops and distributors only support it, it should get enough people like myself to go along.

2-Fathers

Postby 2-Fathers » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:15 pm

Fantastic idea. I would imagine that it would be similar to a 4WD show, in that it would be for all types of cycling plus associated industries like tent maunfacturers, camping shops, general sports clothing as well as the bloke who sells vegetable peelers who seems to make enough money to travel around Australia to these shows. :wink:

Ideally, the show would be outdoors and would include a BMX-style track or similar with riding displays and maybe an XC/trial type setup for people to try out the latest mountain bikes. Stands promoting the Munda Biddi trail, Kep Track and the Perth Bike Network would great.

Also, workshops run by clubs on issues like fitness, correct cadence, climbing, racing, etc would be great.

let's hope this goes ahead. I can't wait for the freebies.

cricetidae

Postby cricetidae » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:09 pm

This idea sounds better and better the more I think about it.

How about we start small and tie in with the camping/4WD expo or similar and then once we have gauged the interest can expand or go out on our own. The only downside I can see is the staggering cost of indoor venues which I am finding out about at the moment with trying to organise an event for 2010.

Hmmm actually I think I might jot a few ideas down and then float them. This is could be a goer if done right. More to follow over next few days...

Oh it probably might not be a good idea to tie in with Sexpo. :lol:
Todd

Masi Nouva Strada '06
Scott Scale 50 '08

2-Fathers

Postby 2-Fathers » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:23 pm

cricetidae wrote:Oh it probably might not be a good idea to tie in with Sexpo. :lol:
Why not? I've heard they sell some pretty funky rubber seatposts there......well they looked a bit like seat posts......

TonyS

Perth Bicycle Show

Postby TonyS » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:02 pm

Thanks for all the feedback folks. We were originally thinking about joining an existing show, but after doing some initial research we think there would be enough interest for a three-day stand alone bike expo. We were thinking October would be a good time to hold it, with the weather improving and Xmas shopping about to begin.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:20 pm

Somewhere accessable by bikes & public transport, but also with easy car access and parking for purchases to be lugged home.

not the convention centre.

maybe claremont showground, gloucester park, langley park,

cricetidae

Postby cricetidae » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:17 pm

You forgot the Old Freo Passenger terminal that place is huge and good food not far away..

That is good news Tony and hopefully you will be able to get all the distributors and bike companies over East involved but October seems like a very short time to get things organised.
Todd

Masi Nouva Strada '06
Scott Scale 50 '08

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:49 pm

cricetidae wrote:You forgot the Old Freo Passenger terminal that place is huge and good food not far away..

That is good news Tony and hopefully you will be able to get all the distributors and bike companies over East involved but October seems like a very short time to get things organised.
Yep, Freo Pass Term sounds good.

Hopefully the show could help generate interest in local bike development, for example the Gekko folding bike which sold until recently in USA for only USD129 -169. Believe the bike was developed in Perth.

wilko72

Postby wilko72 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:43 pm

I think this is brilliant....October/ November who cares we need to start small and learn from the first show - we can grow next year. I have spoken to a couple of people who would commit to exhibit with bells on i.e. frams, seats, et cetera. I guess venue wise it is a case of lets find the cheapest venue that will suit - would be good to fit it in with the City of Perth bike ride thou so everyone could head over afterwards "Perths Bike Weekend" Count me in to help if anyone needs me...

Wilko

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:06 pm

Guys, it takes much more than a couple of months to get these things up and running. Don't expect to see a bike show until next year.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

cricetidae

Postby cricetidae » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:17 am

The event I am organising is for 2010 and you really need that lead in time with most of the time getting a venue confirmed. That doesn't mean that the bike expo will not be up for this year as we are not sure how much work Tony has put in and I am sure are few of us will volunteer to help out for a few freebies.

Hopefully it can come off this year but anytime is fine with me and it would be good to have something decent over this side of the country. Missed out on Miguel Idurain when he was in Adelaide...
Todd

Masi Nouva Strada '06
Scott Scale 50 '08

pvb123

Postby pvb123 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:11 pm

Hello,

Count us in! Would love to show our bikes to the public but there is limited opportunities as far as bike shows go....

All the best with organising this....

Paul. :D

TonyS

Postby TonyS » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:09 pm

Sorry, should have mentioned that we are aiming for Spring 2009 with the initial Show. Tony.

IdealCyclesWA

Postby IdealCyclesWA » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:13 pm

The dates Friday, Saturday , Sunday October 23, 24, 25 2009 would get bums on seats & might encourage a few brands to come over from the East. That is the weekend the ITU Triathlon Worlds is in town & would be a good date to kick start it. Would have to be near the foreshore location though .

cricetidae

Postby cricetidae » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:12 pm

It the Triathlon is being held along the river then I think that the Cockroach would be a perfect location. Close to the Esplanade and public transport but it is just such an ugly place to park if you need to bring your car and the parking price is ridiculous.

Unless we could utilise on of the function rooms as storage area for the bikes we rode in on and pay a nominal fee just like a cloak office.

Would they close of the dual pathways along the river while the event is on as well as the roads?
Todd

Masi Nouva Strada '06
Scott Scale 50 '08

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:19 am

given that triathalon riding is just one form of riding, an elite form at that, i think a dpi supported event should be more focussed on transport/commute cycling alternatives, ie a location readliy accessible by bike friendly public transport, out of a car congested area would be ideal for those people sans bikes who may purchase at the show.

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:06 pm

All successful shows have top of the range items on display, its what people slaver over and gets them to the event. When there, they then also look at the other more useful and affordable items. Its why car shows always have luxury sports cars on display.
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

roller

Postby roller » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:58 pm

would be keen to attend

good luck with getting something off the ground. :)

kellyu

Postby kellyu » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:21 pm

That would be brilliant!

How is the planning going? Is it still going to be on, considering the GFC (Global Financial Crisis)?

marty1968

Postby marty1968 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:49 pm

sign me up , just think how many people on and off this forum ride both to commute and socially would love something for us 2 wheeled self propelled nuts