Apollo, Avanti or Fuji Hybrid Bike?

nevf

Apollo, Avanti or Fuji Hybrid Bike?

Postby nevf » Tue May 22, 2007 10:09 pm

Hi, we are in the process of buying two hybrid/comfort bikes for riding on bike paths, primarily. Max we've done so far is 30KM on some borrowed 5+ year old Giants. We only started riding again at Xmas after a 20+ year break, and are realy enjoying it.

We (wife and I) have ridden an Apollo Shadow and an Avanti Discovery and liked both. We hope to ride a Fuji Crosstown 1.0 this week. We both weigh around 70KG's. We are looking at around $500 per bike.

The Fuji Crosstown 1.0 seems to offer more bang per buck, but I don't know much about Fuji other than they've only recently been reintroduced into Australia. It has Shimano Deore derailleurs which is a plus over the Apollo and Avanti.

The folks at the Avanti Shop were very helpful and I'm sure we'd be fine with the Discovery.

So any advice on which of these to buy or other suggestions most welcome.

Neville Franks
Last edited by nevf on Tue May 22, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue May 22, 2007 10:43 pm

They are all fine brands Neville. Buy the ones you fall in love with and which fit the best. Don't be surprised if your choice is different to your wife's. Have fun and keep us posted on your adventures.

Richard

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue May 22, 2007 10:43 pm

As one that has a 2005 Discovery and a 2007 Pionear I am happy with Avanti. The Discovery was handed over to my other half after over 4000kms and is still as good as the day i got it. I just wanted a new toy :P .

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Tue May 22, 2007 11:48 pm

As you've been riding Giants you could also consider their comfort hybrid range. I've got a 2006 Elwood SE, very happy with it except for the name!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue May 22, 2007 11:55 pm

twowheels wrote:As you've been riding Giants you could also consider their comfort hybrid range. I've got a 2006 Elwood SE, very happy with it except for the name!
You'd prefer it was called the Jake? :twisted:

nevf

Postby nevf » Wed May 23, 2007 3:55 am

twowheels wrote:As you've been riding Giants you could also consider their comfort hybrid range. I've got a 2006 Elwood SE, very happy with it except for the name!
Thanks for that. I wanted to check out the Giant Cypress but haven't seen one in the shops yet, nor the Elwood!

gururug

Postby gururug » Wed May 23, 2007 8:28 am

I got a flatbar before I got my road bike. Don't use it much but thats my personal experience. Bike paths are pretty narrow and the narrower road bike is a bit safer (albeit, a bit less comfortable)

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed May 23, 2007 12:50 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
You'd prefer it was called the Jake? :twisted:
Elwood sounds so daggy, reminds me of Dagwood.

By the way just noticed Giant's web site now features the 2008 models and their colour selection is much better thatn the baby !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! browns they had on offer in 2007, so you should be able to pick up a new 2008 model soon or a bargain 2007 model.

nevf

Postby nevf » Wed May 23, 2007 7:09 pm

I've just checked the two borrowed Giant bikes we've been riding since xmas and one is a Cypress. I can't believe I hadn't looked before now. It is pretty good, but I think the three bikes I mentioned at the start are better. Mind you this one is a few years old now, so the current Cypress is probably improved.