saturday's courier-mail magazine story

winona_rider

saturday's courier-mail magazine story

Postby winona_rider » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:44 pm

it was a 4 or 5 page cover story about cycling in Brisbane.

it focussed on the guy that was struck down in a hit-and-run on kelvin grove road - the same road (more or less) where I was hit by a car 4 years later.

he spent ages in hospital and has permanent brain injuries and has separated from his wife as a result. pretty tragic.

I skimmed over the article as I didn't have much time to read it... but it seemed to be a little less hostile to cyclists and less factually idiotic than most stories I read about cycling in the papers. I wouldn't call it "balanced" - but it may signal an improvement in journalism towards cycling in queensland.

john lister - a cbd bug member and the organiser of the RBH/Bowen Bridge Road protest ride - was quoted.

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:14 pm

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:55 pm

Yes John was interviewed as was I for the artical.
I was a little disappointed that it did focus on a single incident. what really disappointed me was the final line
"People don't take a lot of notice of a war until someone gets killed."
what a great promotion for cycling

That said it was a vast improvement over others that have been written in the past.

Another thing that annoyed me was it gave a little to much praise to the BCC for the $100 million in the budget over the next for years. Great cycling is getting money but it means nothing if it is not well targetted. :roll:

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:28 pm

Yeaah i did flick through same article it was well written and worth reading but fell flat at the end. :(
We all feel for Matthew Coley and his family and we know
that cycling is more dangerous than it should be, for now at least.
But we ride to live and the conclusion of the article should have had a more constructive punchline i think. :?:
At the risk of being preoccupied with these things i have heard that a cyclist was seriously injured at the intersection of Simpson's Rd and Chiswick Rd (Bardon) yesterday about 11 am.
Does anyone know more about this accident?
Elantra