Cycling to Jerusalem

jaserius

Cycling to Jerusalem

Postby jaserius » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Hey People,

I was thinking that in a few years time I might like to cycle from Sydney to Jerusalem (obviously using a ferry to get across the waterways)

I'm rather new to cycling, although it has been love at first sight - I'm just wondering if the more experienced among you could estimate how long that might take and whether it is a completely absurd idea or not?

Thanks for your help!

Jason.

pine

Postby pine » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:55 pm

:shock:
Last edited by pine on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cycling to Jerusalem

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:49 am

Hi, sounds like an exciting journey.
My first step would be to estimate how far you can ride in a day - or what is the likely distance considering you will want to stop at some places and spend longer. I would work out some various routes (options) - from Sydney, where can you catch a boat of plane and to which country will you go to next - eg, through Indonesia or perhaps straight up to Thailand. Consider that the path you may take may not always be the most direct route.

If you guess 6 months, I would bump it up to give yourself time to enjoy.

I don't know if it is absurd, depends on finances, which route you would take and ability to stay connected and keep safe.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

sharktamin

Postby sharktamin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:08 pm

It may depend on the middle eastern political situation at the time. From India would you go to Pakistan and Afghanistan, or through Iran and Irak?
Or the long way round through China and Russia? Or the Africa overland route - see http://www.africa-overland.net

RetroPilot

Postby RetroPilot » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:59 am

Likewise Im planning to bike in Israel, soon, am beginning planning ....but not quite as adventurous as riding to there,just riding around there on arrival.

Has anyone up to date info re bike luggage on the following four airlines which may be part of legs of the journey..

Qantas, British, Cathay, and then final leg into Israel is likely Royal Jordanian.

Anyone put bikes on these airlines?