RAM - Paul Einsiedel frames

kukamunga

RAM - Paul Einsiedel frames

Postby kukamunga » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:38 pm

Picked up a couple of nice old Reynolds 531 road frames & forks today. They are labled 'RAM' and have the signature 'Paul Einsiedel' on the top tube. Campag dropouts. Champion BB shell. Nice lugs. Nice parts.......

Any ideas regarding the names?

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:55 am

I have vague memories of seeing bikes with this name on the down tube back in Holland when I worked there many years ago. You got stuff from all over Europe knocking around the racing scene there.
BUT... thinking about it I might be getting mixed up with RIH who are definately from Holland. :?

Richard

531db

Re: RAM - Paul Einsiedel frames

Postby 531db » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:33 am

kukamunga wrote:Picked up a couple of nice old Reynolds 531 road frames & forks today. They are labled 'RAM' and have the signature 'Paul Einsiedel' on the top tube. Campag dropouts. Champion BB shell. Nice lugs. Nice parts.......

Any ideas regarding the names?
Piccies!!!

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Three months later......

Image Image Image Image Image Any clues ?

crog

Postby crog » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:39 pm

Add to that description Haden Concorde Lugs

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:43 pm

There was a RAM frame sold on fixed.org.au awhile ago.

More here.
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:06 pm

crog wrote:Add to that description Haden Concorde Lugs
Hmmm.... They're also very similar to Bocama 'Competition 83' lugs....

Just wondering if the green/ white/ yellow bars of the chainstay RAM logo represent the country of origin's national flag? I'm sure the yellow is not faded orange, so I don't think it's Irish

Einsiedel is of Dutch origin, and I have spoken to one Paul Einsiedel here in Melbourne who knows nothing of these bikes. Not sure if it's the frame builder or sponsored riders name - both frames have this name on them. Actually, that fixed.org bike looks like it's got the same signature on it!

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:49 am

Both frames are actually 531 SL (Special Lightweight) tubing

wheels46

Postby wheels46 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:28 am

Hi just reviving this thread (came across it by pure accident).

I can shed some light on RAM frames. They were built by Paul Einsiedel in the late 70s/early 80s. He was a member of Coburg Cycling Club (as I was I) and IIRC built them from his garage in Pascoe Vale South Victoria !!

Paul was a great rider in his time and from memory narrowly missed winning a Melbourne Cup on Wheels. In fact i'll bet my bottom dollar that track frame was for Paul's personal use (he's quite tall). I remember admiring it about 30 years ago at a race meet. :mrgreen:

Hope this helps your endeavours and answers a few questions.

jack568

Postby jack568 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:07 am

This post has been revived....Again

I recently bought a RAM track bike, with a bit of a google search i eventually came across this post.

This has been my little restoration project over the last week or so, when i got it it was in good condition, but not immaculate, it needed a bit of a polish up!! :D

Specs

RAM frame with 'ROTO Italy' bottom bracket, campagnolo dropouts

Dura ace hubs laced to mavic ?? (tubular) rims

Sugino Mighty 171mm crankset

Izumi gold chain

Cinelli bar and stem

Campagnolo headset and seatpost

Selle Italia Turbo saddle

MKS pedals

Soma track sprocket

I have replaced the sprocket, pedals and chain,

I hope someone can shed a little more light on the history of this one! It is in mint condition, based on the codes on the hubs and crankset they are from the 1974-1975 era, will this suggest that this is the manufacture date of the bike? the above post has mentioned the manufacture began in the late 70's?

Oh and there is no serial number on the bike or indication of the type of steel used, im guessing its reynolds 531, can anyone enlighten me with these details too!

You cant see it in any of the pics but on the non drive side, Paul Einsiedel's name is painted / stickered on!

Oh and did i mention neither brake is drilled :) :)

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:34 pm

nothing to add but envy :mrgreen: very nice 8)
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

spitfire

Postby spitfire » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:19 pm

That is beautiful! I really like these RAM bikes... hmmmm thinking....

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:57 am

I recently sold off my remaining RAM road frame and fork to a fellow staff member at the bike shop I work at, and it is now being ridden by his fiance with a Tiagra gruppo. Unfortunately, she wanted a white bike, and all the original decals have been painted over :|

jack568

Postby jack568 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:05 pm

kukamunga wrote:I recently sold off my remaining RAM road frame and fork to a fellow staff member at the bike shop I work at, and it is now being ridden by his fiance with a Tiagra gruppo. Unfortunately, she wanted a white bike, and all the original decals have been painted over :|
Did you end up finding out much about Paul Einsiedel? Apart from what wheels46 said? The build quality of this frame seems to be perfect, yet there is no serial number, hence suggesting that he only made a few. But how many is a few ? and how do i date the frame? The roto bb shells i have only seen on high end gazelle's, i suppose some of these questions may never be answered.

Paul Einsiedel

Postby Paul Einsiedel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:44 pm

wheels46 wrote:Hi just reviving this thread (came across it by pure accident).

I can shed some light on RAM frames. They were built by Paul Einsiedel in the late 70s/early 80s. He was a member of Coburg Cycling Club (as I was I) and IIRC built them from his garage in Pascoe Vale South Victoria !!

Paul was a great rider in his time and from memory narrowly missed winning a Melbourne Cup on Wheels. In fact i'll bet my bottom dollar that track frame was for Paul's personal use (he's quite tall). I remember admiring it about 30 years ago at a race meet. :mrgreen:

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:24 am

Paul Einsiedel wrote:
wheels46 wrote:Hi just reviving this thread (came across it by pure accident).

Hi Paul
don't be shy, tell us more
Cheers, Phil
Phil

Paul Einsiedel

Postby Paul Einsiedel » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi there, am currentl ttooling up to make cr.mo, stainlessSteel and aluminumb frames. Stay tuned for web site in October

Calmels

Postby Calmels » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:20 pm

I also have a Paul Einsiedel frame.
Was recently given to me by Grant Atkins, past Australian champ. Lives in Tassie, as I do. It's a track frame, with Columbus tubing. Exterior finish is, unfortunately, in very poor condition. Have just finished cleaning it today. Will check it for straightness tomorrow.
This one has G E M racing stickers, instead of R A M.

Calmels

Postby Calmels » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:46 pm

I should also add that the bottom of the BB shell has P cut out of it.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:53 pm

Let's see some pics!
Calmels wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:46 pm
I should also add that the bottom of the BB shell has P cut out of it.

That's interesting, there's a few Australian frame builders that use a P cutout - Paino, Peroni, Petrus - I'm kinda struggling with Paul using a P instead of a E or more likely R. Is there anything else that confirms it's a Ram? (Or Paul Einsiedel frame?)

He was back on the torch a few years ago, doesn't look like much has happened since 2017. Pity, he made some beautiful frames.

https://www.facebook.com/RAMFRAMES/

Edit: looks like he's still in the game: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Austral ... ctupt=true

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:21 am

P!N20 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:53 pm
Edit: looks like he's still in the game: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Austral ... ctupt=true
That seems seriously good value for money