It's here!

Hotdog

It's here!

Postby Hotdog » Wed May 23, 2007 11:59 am

Finally, after 3 days of courier related nighmares (which I won't go into) my Bacchetta Giro 26 is in my hands :D

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed May 23, 2007 12:24 pm

No it's not. There's no photo :D

Good stuff. Much to do before you can ride it?

Richard

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Wed May 23, 2007 12:49 pm

Oh yes it is!

Not much to do, attach wheels (done), handlebars (done), pedals and seat. Then fiddle around with adjustments.
Last edited by Hotdog on Wed May 23, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

europa

Postby europa » Wed May 23, 2007 1:26 pm

You did all that while it was still in its box :shock:
Pretty brown colour, especially with all that highlighting.

Richard :D

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Wed May 23, 2007 1:40 pm

OK, OK, here's a better picture :)

The really observant will notice she's still lacking pedals. My plan was to pinch the M424s off my Trusty Steed, but she's proving very reluctant to let go of them. All I've succeeded in doing so far is opening the jaws of my poor quality 15mm spanner.

europa

Postby europa » Wed May 23, 2007 2:16 pm

She looks very nice. Can't wait for the road test.

Richard

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Wed May 23, 2007 2:28 pm

Excellent news!!! Looks very, well, barchetta-esque - very sleek.

About removing pedals. Don't forget that the one side is a left hand thread. I know you'd know that, as do I, but I still had trouble getting a pedal off last weekend, until I remembered. Also, a 3/8 inch open ended spanner is a pretty good fit on the pedal shaft. Much stronger than the bike pedal spanners I have in my toolset. I managed to get mine pretty tight before I realised the error of my ways. I also used an allen key in the end of the pedal shaft as well as the spanner.

Cheers,

David

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Wed May 23, 2007 2:42 pm

These pedals really don't look like they're going to be going anywhere, the Trusty Steed has them for keeps. Having had no joy with my spanner (it was a proper 15mm open ended spanner I was bending, not one of those little pedal spanners) I tried using at ratchet spanner with an allen bit on the pedal shaft, the result of which was me shearing the bit holder for my ratchet spanner in two. I love cheap tools... :x

Seems the only way I'm going to get some clipless pedals on the as yet un named new bike is by taking a trip to the LBS and buying some more...

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Wed May 23, 2007 4:02 pm

Annoying!!! A liberal spray of WD-40 and leave overnight, followed by a couple of hits with an impact driver. That should work. I've also got an air driven 'rattle gun' (like they use in car tyre fitting places) that hasn't been beaten yet.

Cheers,

David
When in doubt, hit it with a bigger hammer

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 23, 2007 4:22 pm

The old adage from my Air Force days

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway"

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Wed May 23, 2007 4:32 pm

I thought I had some WD40 around here somewhere, but no sign. It's had a liberal spray with a slightly less aggressive spray on oil, but even if that helps I've now got the problem that all my tools are knackered :? Maybe it's time I got those eggbeaters I'd been considering... :roll:

It seems a little bit more work than I'd hoped will be required before I'm happily pottering around on the Bacchetta. I was told the brakes and gears were all setup and tested before shipping but after transit they're not working so great (brakes are rubbing slightly and rear derailleur is at a jaunty angle causing chain rub at the crossover and not shifting properly). Bearing in mind that I've never had disc brakes before and I haven't used derailleur gears for years it might be best if I drop into the LBS to get someone competent to have a look at them for me.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu May 24, 2007 12:25 am

Glad to hear she's made it Hotdog, pity 'bout the dramas.

You do grease the pedal spindle before installing? A standard allen key should be all you need.

Can't wait to get home and see the pics :)

Shaun

europa

Postby europa » Thu May 24, 2007 11:37 am

What's the latest Hotdog? Had a chat with Flying Furniture yet?

Richard

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Thu May 24, 2007 12:10 pm

I've sent them an email yesterday somewhat tentatively saying I thought the derailleur may have been bent in transit, their response was to ask if it shifed OK as apparently some SRAM derailleurs look slightly bent but are in fact fine. I replied with a bit more information about the shifting and chain rub problems, and a link to the photo of the offending item, and am waiting to hear back. I'm planning to take the bike down to Cheeky Transport after work today and see what they reckon, whether it's a bent hanger or whether the derailleur itself is cactus. Ian from Flying Furniture is mates with the guys at Cheeky Transport which might make it a bit easier to get this all sorted out.

Still no joy separating my Trusty Steed from her pedals either, if I did grease the threads when I installed them I can't have done a very good job as they seem permanently fused. It does look like I'll have to go shopping for some new pedals (I'd intended to do that eventually anyway, as I didn't want to leave the Trusty Steed without pedals long term, but wasn't planning to do it so soon).

europa

Postby europa » Thu May 24, 2007 12:30 pm

Good luck with it. If Cheeky Transport work with FF, you'll probably find it can all be sorted out there. Bummer. But with a new ride, it's best to get it sorted by a proper mechanic.

And buy new pedals - putting old pedals on your new bike? It's no wonder the old girl is hanging on to them, she's got a sense of what's right :D

Richard

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Thu May 24, 2007 12:30 pm

It was only going to be temporary... :oops: But yes, the Trusty Steed is rightly having none of it.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 24, 2007 8:49 pm

Nice bike, hope your not going to wear baggy pants :shock:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Thu May 24, 2007 10:20 pm

Heh, nope, cycling nix will be worn.

Well, this evening I took New Bike to Cheeky Tranport to have the derailleur issue looked at. Verdict was that the derailleur hanger was indeed bent, and so they straightened it with the magic derailleur hanger straightening tool. The derailleur cage is still at a bit of an angle, and may be itself a little bent, but after a long period of adjustments to both derailleurs the bike now shifts OK, and the chain rub issue is at least much reduced and may be gone. Took almost an hour in all (apparently the unusual chainlines make at least the front derailleur a bit more difficult to set than usual). Interestingly the guys there were all of the opinion that the chain is too short, so I'll be extra careful to avoid the big-big gear combinations (which of course I should anyway).

The brakes still rub, but I can probably adjust those myself without too much trouble. Also still in need of some new clipless pedals, the high pedal position feels insecure with platforms. And I need a solution to mount a headlight, probably a Spacegrip attached to the front derailleur stub. Some ingenuity will be needed to set up a cadence sensor too, but I've got one or two ideas about that.

Anyway, following a shopping spree at the LBSes on Saturday and a bit of tinkering New Bike should be good to go, so don't be suprised if there's a funny looking yellow sun lounger on wheels doing (possibly slightly wobbly) circuits of Centennial Park on Sunday 8)

europa

Postby europa » Thu May 24, 2007 10:44 pm

Richard

europa

Postby europa » Thu May 24, 2007 11:27 pm

Hotdog wrote:(apparently the unusual chainlines make at least the front derailleur a bit more difficult to set than usual).
Looking at the photo, I can understand that. When you consider that a slightly out of adjustment rear derailleur can mess up your front shifts, having the chain crossed like that would twist the chainline, hence messing with the front derailleur.

Do they come with Nexus hubs? How about one of the 15 speed Roholffs (however you spell it and however many gears they've got).

Richard

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Fri May 25, 2007 8:13 am

No hub gears as factory options from Bacchetta, though Flying Furniture are prepared to build up bikes that way if you want them to.

While the Nexus hub works great on my Trusty Steed the overall range probably wouldn't be enough for New Bike as I need low enough gears to spin up all hills (can't brute force it by standing) but also high gearing to take advantage of the better aerodynamics on the flats and descents :twisted: The 14 speed Rohloff would do it though, I was playing around with Sheldon Brown's gear calculators the other day and discovered that the Rohloff range almost exactly matches the New Bike's derailleur gears (11-34 9 speed cassette, 52-42-30 chainrings). I'd love to have New Bike Rohloff'ed, and Cheeky Transport regularly do Rohloff bike builds and conversions, but unfortunately a conversion (parts + labour) would cost about $2k. Having just spent piles of cash on New Bike as is I'd need to win that Boystown prize home lottery I've got tickets for to be able to afford it :(

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Fri May 25, 2007 11:54 am

Europa
Looking at the photo, I can understand that. When you consider that a slightly out of adjustment rear derailleur can mess up your front shifts, having the chain crossed like that would twist the chainline, hence messing with the front derailleur.
Well- not exactly. Chain alignment is only an issue if it changes. On a DF, as you move the chain on the rear cluster, it changes the chain angle at the front chainrings. This means the front derailleur has to be adjusted to accommodate a range of chain angles. Was never a problem before indexed shifting, as you just tweaked the front derailleur after changing the rear, but it can be a challenge to get an indexed system adjusted just right. It is delicate balancing act between front and rear. One of the advantages of a recumbent setup is that the centre idler pully effectively isolates the front and rear chain lines. So even though the chain may arrive at the front derailleur at an angle, it is constant and it's easy to adjust the derailleur properly.

By way of example, getting the shifting on my mountain bike adjusted properly took a lot of fiddling. Setting up the exact same gear on the recumbent was much simpler.

David

europa

Postby europa » Fri May 25, 2007 12:45 pm

Ah ha.

Richard

One day, the obvious will be the right answer ... but then life will cease to be fun :D

bigbuzz73

Postby bigbuzz73 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:46 am

MichaelB wrote:The old adage from my Air Force days

Hi Michael,
You weren't an Airfarame Fitter, by chance? Sounds like something a Framie would say!! :lol:
Wayne

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:05 am

bigbuzz73 wrote:
MichaelB wrote:The old adage from my Air Force days

Hi Michael,
You weren't an Airfarame Fitter, by chance? Sounds like something a Framie would say!! :lol:
Wayne
100% - the only trade required to keep planes in the air !!!!