Beginner MTB/Off road trails in sydney

the dang

Beginner MTB/Off road trails in sydney

Postby the dang » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:58 pm

Hi all

Usually my google skills are okay, but I can't seem to find a good website which has info on some beginner mtb/off road trails in Sydney. Can anyone help out??

Cheers

Johnson

Robski

Postby Robski » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:54 pm

Don't know of any 'in' Sydney but if you head up to the mountains there is some at Winmalee and Springwood that are just firetrails with small parts of single track. Have a look at Trailflix.com or bikely and there are a few good ones...

Cheers

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:55 pm

justinfox

Postby justinfox » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:10 pm

Trailflix is great!

Loftus is a great place to start riding. I take all the new guys there.

If you want dead easy and scenic try Lady Carrington Drive.

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:41 pm

Mate,
Check these guys out - every track ridden and rated with photos and maps.

http://www.nobmob.com
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:51 pm

Centennial park fenceline track is a pretty easy one close to the city.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:09 pm

herzog wrote:Centennial park fenceline track is a pretty easy one close to the city.
Seen a lot of people chased down on that one by rangers on moto's...not sure if they fine you or warn you.

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:22 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
herzog wrote:Centennial park fenceline track is a pretty easy one close to the city.
Seen a lot of people chased down on that one by rangers on moto's...not sure if they fine you or warn you.
When did you see this? It says you're in Lyon, so I presume not that recently? I can't ever remember seeing a ranger on the CP fenceline and definitely not on a motorbike!

From Farkin forums:
Hi - my girlfriend is currently 'learning' too. She is a roadie, so doesnt struggle for fitness, but its the tech skills and nerve that is holding her back.
We went to Manly Dam and it was too tough.

What I did find though was that within Centennial Park there is some really good stuff to practice on. Rocks, roots as well as little sections of single-track. The rocks offer some good places to try drop-offs as well as hopping up things.

The Rangers there seemed fine with us doing it and came over for a chat at one point, so it doesnt look there it was 'illegal'.

Maybe this would be a good place to take your newbies?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:44 pm

herzog wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:
When did you see this? It says you're in Lyon, so I presume not that recently? I can't ever remember seeing a ranger on the CP fenceline and definitely not on a motorbike!

From Farkin forums:
Hi - my girlfriend is currently 'learning' too. She is a roadie, so doesnt struggle for fitness, but its the tech skills and nerve that is holding her back.
We went to Manly Dam and it was too tough.

What I did find though was that within Centennial Park there is some really good stuff to practice on. Rocks, roots as well as little sections of single-track. The rocks offer some good places to try drop-offs as well as hopping up things.

The Rangers there seemed fine with us doing it and came over for a chat at one point, so it doesnt look there it was 'illegal'.

Maybe this would be a good place to take your newbies?
It is illegal and pick the right ranger and they will probably fine you.
Here is the rule...specifically rule e.
I have dealt with them a few times for photoshoots and they can be a pain in the arse for sticking exactly to the rules.

Centennial Park and Moore Park Trust Regulation 2004
Current version for 1 July 2008 to date (accessed 18 February 2009 at 18:41)
Part 2Clause 24
<< page >>
24 Use of cycles, pedal cars and rollerblades

(1) A person must not on the Trust lands, except with the written permission of, and in the manner approved by, the Trust or the Director, do any of the following:
(a) ride a cycle or rollerblades in a group of more than 16 persons,
(b) ride a cycle or rollerblades alongside 2 or more persons,
(c) ride a cycle or rollerblades closer than 3 metres behind, or while holding onto, a moving motor vehicle (that is, slip streaming),
(d) ride a pedal-car or a similar device except on a part of the Trust lands designated by the Trust or the Director for that activity,
(e) ride a cycle or rollerblades on a footway, building forecourt or paved or grassed area or on an area in which the activity is prohibited by the Trust or the Director by a sign displayed on or near the area.
Maximum penalty: 10 penalty units.

(2) For the purposes of subclause (1) (c), holding onto a moving motor vehicle includes being towed behind the vehicle by means of a rope or other similar item.

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:33 pm

toolonglegs wrote:(e) ride a cycle or rollerblades on a footway, building forecourt or paved or grassed area or on an area in which the activity is prohibited by the Trust or the Director by a sign displayed on or near the area.
I guess this is the bit you're referring to. Next question, is singletrack considered a "grassed area"? :D

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:35 pm

herzog wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:(e) ride a cycle or rollerblades on a footway, building forecourt or paved or grassed area or on an area in which the activity is prohibited by the Trust or the Director by a sign displayed on or near the area.
I guess this is the bit you're referring to. Next question, is singletrack considered a "grassed area"? :D
Well it was grassed till those bloody MTB'ers trashed the place :lol:

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:41 pm

What's "10 penalty units"? 10 lashes on the rack?
:lol:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:37 pm

Maaaate, there're plenty of good rides in Sydney. Around Terry Hills there's an entire network that's not too technically taxing. Nobmob has the details. They have regular newbie rides. I'm sure they won't mind you joining up and tagging along.

If you don't mind some steep climbs, there are fire roads around the back of St Ives Showground that go off out into the valley that we haven't yet explored. There's also a flat loop around Narrabeen Lake (see the NobMob site) that goes (legally) through Cromer Golf Course and the NSW Academy of Sport that is a great place to introduce reluctant girlfriends and timid daughters to the joys of getting out on a bike in the bush.

If singletrack is your thing, Ourimbah (an hour north) is brilliant, but what I would call "not too hard" technically (ie, not as tough as parts of Manly Dam) may not sit in quite the same place on your scale at this stage in your skills development.

If you do want to tackle Manly Dam feel free to PM me, I can also have a look at the setup of your bike if you like. Although, with the rains the last two weeks it is going to be muddy and riding it in that condition is frowned upon due to the damage it does, so that might be a couple of weeks away.

So long as it's not actually p!ssing down, we (the son and I) often go out and fart around riding down stairs, practice hopping off things and so on just to stay in tune. It's a good way to gradually expand your skills without exceeding your limits. You might like to do the same in the meantime.

herzog

Postby herzog » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:54 am

trailgumby wrote: If you don't mind some steep climbs, there are fire roads around the back of St Ives Showground that go off out into the valley that we haven't yet explored.
That's Cascades - an excellent track. Technically fairly easy, but some mad hills.

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:41 am

sogood wrote:What's "10 penalty units"? 10 lashes on the rack?
1 penalty unit = $110.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 pm

alchemist wrote:
sogood wrote:What's "10 penalty units"? 10 lashes on the rack?
1 penalty unit = $110.
...and the fine for riding in Nat Parks off the firetrails except where specifically designated is something like up $3500....don't stop for rangers :roll:

shandrick

Postby shandrick » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:49 pm

just like to jump on the topic and ask if any one knows any places i can just go for a ride in the arvos after work in east sydney to build up my beginner skills

cheers ... ricky

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:56 pm

Find a public golf course and ride the golf-cart trails after dark.

Erm, probably requires some lights, though... :oops:

The Red Bull

Re:

Postby The Red Bull » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:36 pm

trailgumby wrote:Find a public golf course and ride the golf-cart trails after dark.

Erm, probably requires some lights, though... :oops:
Sorry to bump the thread but.... That's an awesome idea! I have been looking for some new local places to ride on a regular basis, just to keep on the bike more regularly. So far, as my local ride I use Joseph banks park; which does have a short offroad trail but is pretty sandy in parts. So I have often considered using the golf course buggie trails. Have you actually tried this? I live in Botany so I am pretty well surrounded with golf courses. If I could ride their paths as a night ride that would be perfect!

I have considered Centennial park but don't fancy a fine, plus its a bit further away than I'd like.

herzog

Re: Beginner MTB/Off road trails in sydney

Postby herzog » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Centennial Park is formalising the fenceline track as ok for bicycles. It's in their new plan of management.

Enjoy.

If you live in Botany, there's a few small trails out on the northern headland of botany bay, out near the Pistol club.

https://maps.google.com.au/?ll=-33.9946 ... 8&t=h&z=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Red Bull

Re: Beginner MTB/Off road trails in sydney

Postby The Red Bull » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:15 pm

herzog wrote:Centennial Park is formalising the fenceline track as ok for bicycles. It's in their new plan of management.
Awesome, I had no idea. So does that mean we can officially ride the fenceline track now, worry free of fines? I checked out the plan of management but couldn't find the part where it said they were formalizing the track for bicycles.

Oh yes I will have to check out the headland trails, though I'm guessing they aren't strictly official either? I have ridden out to henry's head once which was a pretty nice ride. Had to walk much of it though as parts looked quite prone to erosion. Malabar headland was also a great ride... but then they closed it off to public access:( I really didn't see how it was a problem if you stuck to the old tar seal road and away from the rifle range. It really is a shame there isn't anywhere you can officially ride off-road without a hike out of Sydney.