Need help with a beginners mountain bike

maxwolfie

Need help with a beginners mountain bike

Postby maxwolfie » Tue May 15, 2007 1:54 pm

Looking to get an entry level mountain bike for under $500 or so.. New or used.. What brand/models should I be looking at? I would imagine most of the riding would be concrete/dirt, but maybe also some trails etc if I take it on the car on a holiday or something

I would probably want something fairly lightweight for street use, jumps bunnyhops etc.

Anyone? I'm looking at ebay for options, any good stores in Sydney that have good prices?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue May 15, 2007 2:11 pm

Giant Boulder and Trek 3700 are the major brand entry level bikes, either is about $400. After that, Giant Yukon and Rincon, and the Trek 3900 and 4300. Other brands offer similar bikes at similar price points.

At this price point, you get a recreational bike. You can hop kerbs and do small jumps, but they are NOT made for big air, high speed downhill, XC racing, etc. You can break them with abuse. OTOH they will last forever with normal use and maintenence.

Do not buy dual suspension at this price point - it will be low quality and break very quickly. Hard tail bike from a major brand is the way to go. Disc brakes aren't great at this price either, you might prefer V brakes and better running gear for your money.

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Tue May 15, 2007 2:31 pm

Anyone know if the Cell Bikes MTBs are any good? Their MTX-2, for example, would seem to fit the bill for the original poster. I don't know much about MTB components but the price seems pretty good.

maxwolfie

Postby maxwolfie » Tue May 15, 2007 2:54 pm

Awesome, thanks

What are the differences between Giant and Trek?

EDIT: Also, what size should I be going for? I am 188cm

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue May 15, 2007 3:16 pm

The Cell MTX-2 has a high end rear deraileur for the price, but a low end front deraileur. I'd say if you can get one at $449 you get a lot of good components at that price - you just want to make sure you can get one that's your size, and that you'll be comfortable on.

Between the Giant and Trek, it's a trade off on which components your money goes into. Giant Boulder had a better fork and an 8 speed rear over a 7 last I looked, but probably not as good hubs. And the 3700 has probably changed by now. The best between the two is the one you like better. :)

A good bike shop should be prepared to help you find the right size. In a Giant, you'd be a Large by their sizing chart, but you should make sure by sitting on the bike and checking you don't feel too cramped, bent over, or stretched out.

maxwolfie

Postby maxwolfie » Mon May 21, 2007 2:48 pm

Thanks mate :)

I have 3 local bike shops in Parramatta, Bikes R Us, Blackmans Cycles and some other one

Some other brands such as Diamondback, Mongoose, Apollo have popped up.. are these any good?

The Diamondback/Mongoose guy said that Giant are !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!.. I think he was full of it

cludence

Postby cludence » Mon May 21, 2007 3:02 pm

The other bike shop in Parramatta is closing and relocating to the other side of Sydney. I know he is still there for the next week or so packing up bikes to move. He had a sale as it was cheaper for him to sell the bikes at a lower price than spend the time and money moving them all. It might be worth a visit to talk to him as if he has something there that interests you, you will be able to negotiate the price.

Karen.

maxwolfie

Postby maxwolfie » Mon May 21, 2007 8:33 pm

Hi! Are you talking about Pedals Plus by any chance? I went by there today and found that they were already closed down??

If not, can you let me know what company your talking about, and a phone number and/or address??

Would be much appreciated :)

cludence

Postby cludence » Mon May 21, 2007 8:53 pm

Hi, yes it was pedals plus. Apparently the guy will be moving stock over to one of his other stores so it may be a case of catching him when he is there.

maxwolfie

Postby maxwolfie » Wed May 23, 2007 2:57 pm

OK pedals plus are offering a Learsport "Deore" (spelling? Sorry can't read his writing) LX TR 3270with lockout forks which is stretching my budget a little however ($525)

Is Learsport a better brand? How does it compare with Giant?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed May 23, 2007 3:24 pm

Learsport aren't as big a name as Giant, but Deore LX components and a lockout fork is pretty high end stuff at $525.

This Bike? $525 seems like a good price to me. You don't get disc brakes, but I think that's a good fork and deraileurs. V Brakes are plenty of stopping for most people.

todd99

Postby todd99 » Thu May 24, 2007 6:53 pm

GT offer great value for money they have hardtail allmountain bikes ranging from 300-2500$ all of these with the same frame with the same build quality making them paticually good value in their low end models.

I bought a gt agressor (400) and progressed from communiting and trail riding to dirt jumping and light downhill and did all this with almost no problems with the bike i recomend these bikes to anyone who will listern so sorry if i sound like a walking advert for GT :D

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri May 25, 2007 7:44 am

As the resident 'lesser known brands' fetishist, I think that a TR3270 for just over $500 is a steal. If you could con your way in to replacing the Gila forks with RockShox Judy 2's (which some stores will do) then it will be even better. :wink:
I'm seeing a lot of 're-launches' happening at the moment - the Shogun, Malvern Star, Gitane, Apollo brands are all being re-vitalised by their distributors / owners and there's a lot of value among them. Maybe not the bling factor with their names, but I'll take value (ie. better components) anytime. I've also not been convinced that disc brakes are necessary, but I've been promised a demonstration why they are on the weekend - Stromlo Forest Park single track, here I come :)

seddo

Postby seddo » Fri May 25, 2007 9:40 am

Pierre - have heard the same info from LBS owner - interested to hear a report. I like Max are interested in a entry level MTB - used the Scott Sportser (AT) majura pines the other day as was paranoid about ruining the shocks :shock:

cheers
Seddo

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri May 25, 2007 1:52 pm

seddo wrote: ... have heard the same info from LBS owner - interested to hear a report ...
If you mean 'why disc brakes are worth it' by 'the same info' then (if I'm still breathing) I'm test riding bikes with v-brakes, mechanical discs and hydraulic discs on Sunday. The theory that I'm testing is when you're riding single track, your rims can flex enough to make v-brakes a bit hit and miss. Because discs are hub mounted, they're always where the brake shoes expect them to be (as the theory goes) and your braking is more consistent. Then, the benefits of the mechanical advantage of hydraulics kick in to make braking less effort, giving you more time to concentrate on your riding.
(I'll leave you to sort that bit out - the statement is correct).
It all sounds logical, but my gentle pace might not be enough to bring the theory in to practice. :?

seddo

Postby seddo » Fri May 25, 2007 6:35 pm

Sorry Pierre was referring to the relaunches of Malvern Star etc

cheers
Seddo

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 25, 2007 10:19 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:I've also not been convinced that disc brakes are necessary
I think you will soon mate :wink:
LuckyPierre wrote:Stromlo Forest Park single track, here I come :)
I've heard about this place, :D can we get a report when you can please?

Shaun

maxwolfie

Postby maxwolfie » Sat May 26, 2007 4:26 pm

I ended up with a 21" Giant Alias instead :)

seddo

Postby seddo » Sat May 26, 2007 11:45 pm

Sweet bike - new or 2nd hand

cheers
Seddo

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun May 27, 2007 11:43 am

maxwolfie wrote:I ended up with a 21" Giant Alias instead :)
Good one Max, that's a nice way to start 8). Where's the obligatory photo? :wink:

Get out there and go for a ride mate, then have everybody asking you about that glued on grin! :lol:

Shaun

maxwolfie

Postby maxwolfie » Mon May 28, 2007 9:00 am

Thanks guys :)

Will take some pics today :)

Andrew69

Postby Andrew69 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:54 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:As the resident 'lesser known brands' fetishist, I think that a TR3270 for just over $500 is a steal. If you could con your way in to replacing the Gila forks with RockShox Judy 2's (which some stores will do) then it will be even better. :wink:
I'm seeing a lot of 're-launches' happening at the moment - the Shogun, Malvern Star, Gitane, Apollo brands are all being re-vitalised by their distributors / owners and there's a lot of value among them. Maybe not the bling factor with their names, but I'll take value (ie. better components) anytime. I've also not been convinced that disc brakes are necessary, but I've been promised a demonstration why they are on the weekend - Stromlo Forest Park single track, here I come :)
I agree. I was looking for a MTB a few months ago ad ended up buying a Malvern Star XT3000. Well spec'd for the $'s and at least $200 cheaper for a similar spec'd "big brand name" bike.
They only thing Ive changed on it is gripper pedals...otherwise I love.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:42 pm

Andrew69 wrote:I agree. I was looking for a MTB a few months ago ad ended up buying a Malvern Star XT3000. Well spec'd for the $'s and at least $200 cheaper for a similar spec'd "big brand name" bike.
They only thing Ive changed on it is gripper pedals...otherwise I love.
Sounds good mate. Good to see Malvern Star coming back into the scene again and that their product is good. Keep us posted eh? Lets get that post count into triple figures (welcome the nut house in other words :D)

Richard

Andrew69

Postby Andrew69 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:06 pm

Thanks for the welcome Richard :D
I just realised I think faster than I type and should have proof read that post...any way :roll:

As far as MS bikes go, I also bought one for the Mrs (Hurricane, 26" MTB) and one arriving shortly for the son (Storm, 20" mtb), and a mate of mine just bought a MTB for his Mrs as well!

As far as bang for you buck goes, Ive found them really hard to beat.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:38 am

G'Day there Andrew, sounds like you've got the bug 8)

It's all uphill, into the wind from here..... and we love it :D

Shaun