How awesome is commuting?!!?!?!!

colafreak

How awesome is commuting?!!?!?!!

Postby colafreak » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:17 am

How much better is it riding to work than driving!

I go bonkers in traffic now. Riding gives me so much energy, clears the head, it's fantastic.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:37 am

The commute is the ONLY thing I miss about working in a regular job (ie one away from home). It was always the highlight of my day - which says lots about how much I enjoy my ride - and my job! :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

itsaghostcar

Postby itsaghostcar » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:38 pm

Am dying to get back to it. Since my little incident, I've been forced to take the bus. It actually takes me longer to get the bus and hobble to work than it did for me to jump on the bike and shower at work.

colafreak

Postby colafreak » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:27 pm

I actually wish I lived in Sydney or somewhere disgusting like that :twisted:

On the bike it takes me about as long as it does to moped it, maybe slightly quicker than driving. But I'd love to be able to actually MAKE up some time on my car-based commuters.

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:35 pm

It's 10k from home to work.

Going by bus takes me 45 mins door to door (at best) - two buses.

By car can be anything from 15 to 55 minutes depending on traffic, time of day and ratio of idiot drivers on the road.

Bike is 35 mins max plus about 5 mins to get changed when I get there. So not as quick as a good day in the car, but not as slow as the quickest bus and nowhere near as slow as the car on a bad day.

(I've never walked it :lol: )

Pax

Postby Pax » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:56 pm

Yep completely awsm. I hate it when it is raining like now or if other committments make it impossible to ride in. Feel less energetic all day.

tomns

Postby tomns » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:36 pm

As pax said, the rain puts me off, however I am working on a solution, I have an old 10 speed that I have stripped back and will paint up and service so I can have a rain bike :)

12km each way - great ride and love it. For the Brisbanites me and a mate from work usually hit Mt Cootha before work on a Tuesday to get some climbing practice in. Ride to Cootha, do the front road, back to work in the city 1hr 40 ish and a great start to the day

Tom
Peugeot Iseran - Geared Bike
Peugeot Versailles - Fixie
Peugeot U08 - Poser
Repco Nishiki - Single Speed
http://www.yehudamoon.com/images/strips/2008-03-29.gif

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:56 am

Best part of my workday, regardless of distance.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:53 pm

G'day

Sometimes ... those 40 km/h + headwinds can be a bit off-putting.

The other day I had to drive my long commute (42 km)... it was a pain and actually only took about 15 minutes quicker than the bike.

Andrew

sharktamin

Postby sharktamin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:38 am

Driving to work was part of the reason I now work from home - but cyling is a better prospect. I currently visit clients and suppliers by cycle, and run deliveries with the trailer on. Gotta love the wind in your hair and the sun on your face.

This is Melbourne, what's rain? I've got wet once in the last 12 months.

cuttsnake

Commuting Rocks

Postby cuttsnake » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:03 pm

Riding to work is the only way that I have time to do any significant exercise. The best thing is that having only one car compels me to ride - it's either ride or walk!

Someone once asked me, "What do you do when it rains?"
"I get wet."
It's the wind more than the rain that makes it a chore.

martinjs

Re: Commuting Rocks

Postby martinjs » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:54 pm

cuttsnake wrote:Riding to work is the only way that I have time to do any significant exercise. The best thing is that having only one car compels me to ride - it's either ride or walk!

Someone once asked me, "What do you do when it rains?"
"I get wet."
It's the wind more than the rain that makes it a chore.

++1 I agree with you regarding both the rain and the bloody wind. I've had a howling gale (well for push bikes anyway :) ) all last week and this week is looking the same way.

Took the family riding yesterday and my poor little 7 year was really struggling in the face of 30 to 40+ kph head winds, it even blew her over once, but she's a trooper and only had to walk up one hill and manage to ride the rest of the way. :)
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

lexah

Postby lexah » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:07 am

Hey guys

Am new to this forum but wanted to just say that I too love the commute... only just started riding to work and try only to do it every other day to make sure I don't over do it... but those days that I'm stuck in a car it feels like hell.

I look forward to hopping on the bike at the end of the day and forgetting about work and just enjoying the exercise.

simonn

Re: Commuting Rocks

Postby simonn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:56 am

cuttsnake wrote:"I get wet."
Better wet than caged.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:37 pm

Welcome lexah.

Where about's is your commute?

Also, tell us a little about your ride. We love to feel jealous in here. :twisted:

Kev.

ransom

Postby ransom » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:37 pm

Commuting is the greatest, here here!

Vivifyer

Postby Vivifyer » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:58 pm

parking in the city is too expensive, and difficult to find.

riding the train feels like being herded like cattle, while smelling the smells of.. christ can humans smell that bad on a train?! :S

riding is fun, cheap, and keeps my fit, so I do it everyday to work

summary - agreed, its awesome, ill never stop as long as im able.

20thCB

Postby 20thCB » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:57 pm

A new land speed record for me coming home - a mighty 28 km/h average over 39km :lol:

That's about 4 km/h faster than going in. :oops:

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:08 pm

If I had to regularly get a train as part of my commute I would get a folding bicycle. Getting my 26" mountain bike with it's panniers, etc onto a crowded train is an absolute nightmare.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

MJP Wilson

Commuting - It's great

Postby MJP Wilson » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:58 pm

My daily commute from Queanbeyan to Canberra following a number of different routes is very scenic and a fantastic way to start and finish a day. Even if the start is sometimes -5c. I have ridden in rider friendly Europe and can only hope that eventually Aussie drivers and infrastructure bosses will see the sense and benefits of pedalling. BTW and because of cycling, I am now NOT one of the ADF Hot Chicken Heroes.

Regards Michael

philip

Postby philip » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:28 am

Something else that's totally awesome about commuting - never getting sick. I used to get maybe 2-3 colds a year, but since starting to commute 2 years ago I haven't got sick once. I put this down to mostly not having to get public transport, but probably being fitter helps too.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:53 am

Same here. I rarely get sick.

Also today on my ride on the cycleway between Nth Ryde and Lane Cove there were HEAPS of cyclists out for a change. Usually I only see less than 10 but there were decent bunches at each road crossing.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:40 am

Not only does it save me time (about 15 mins each way) but its also for my health.

I have let the weight creep on over the years because I never seemed to have any energy to exercise after work. Traveling by public transport is not only expensive and time consuming, it takes away my exercise time.

Cycle commuting saves time, money and I can exercise for up to 1 1/2 hours every day!

I find it really convenient to just jump on my bike in the morning and ride to work whenever I want. No more standing around waiting for the bus.

I am energized all day and always motivated to exercise.
<removed by request>

benfer

Postby benfer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:57 am

I got 2 flats right at the start of my commute today. I thought I was leaving with ample time to spare but ended up having to patch a tube as I only carry one spare and having to push really hard just to make it to uni on time.

BikingMarco

Postby BikingMarco » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Coomuting on a bicycle is the best part of the day, commuting home something I'm really looking forward too. How many car drivers in Sydney could say that???