Best time of year to buy a new bike?

wallaby77

Best time of year to buy a new bike?

Postby wallaby77 » Sun May 27, 2007 7:09 pm

I have been thinking about buying a new road bike but I was just wondering is there a time of year when bike shops have big sales where big savings could be made?

I was thinking end of financial year or end of year when next seasons range comes out? Or are specials just offerered throughout the year periodically? Any thoughts / experiences would be much appreciated.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun May 27, 2007 9:07 pm

I was in Fleet Cycles in the city last Friday and they had some good specials on. I think they were specific models though so may not suit. Giants spring to mind...TCR something and some others.

Must admit, I didn't look too closely for fear of falling in love :oops:

Moo...

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun May 27, 2007 10:31 pm

I can't answer exactly for road bikes, but for MTBs from Giant, you get great deals in August/September as they run out the old models in time for the Xmas rush. I would guess the same holds true for their road bikes. I would also guess other companies have a similar strategy, so perhaps hold out for another couple of months - if you can!

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun May 27, 2007 10:54 pm

The best time to buy last year's model is when this year's model has hit the showroom floor, though just before that works well too. When does this happen? Well, it depends. Usually, new products try to be available for Christmas, but you see specials spread over about eight months of the year.

For all that though, don't buy your bike on price. Sure, you'll save some money at the time but if it isn't the right bike for you, you'll be buying another one very soon so the 'saving' is illusiary. When you're ready to buy and you've fallen in love with a particular model, shop around and bargain for the best price, but don't base the process on price ... unless you enjoy buying new bikes.

Richard

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sun May 27, 2007 11:04 pm

just been in bike shops looking at bikes with a friend.
the feel i got was that (for Giant, at least) about next month the 'basic' range of bikes, e.g., OCR, TCR will be out... then performance models like carbon frames, forks, etc. e.g., TCR-C series usually roll out in about October-ish. though that may just be the bike shop making it up based on when their stock gets in.

anyhow, specials happen when the LBS decides it needs to clear stuff. keep looking!