Cycling from Sydney to Perth or Perth to Syndney

Penguin

Cycling from Sydney to Perth or Perth to Syndney

Postby Penguin » Wed May 30, 2007 2:14 am

Hi,

we are two german cyclists, who plan to travel from Sydney to Perth or Perth to Sydney depending on the wind situation.
Does anybody know from which direction the wind blows during summer, especially in december and january?

Thanks for helping us
Kai and Sylvia

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Wed May 30, 2007 10:23 am

Start off in Perth, after that everything else is just downhill :wink:

timbo

Postby timbo » Wed May 30, 2007 10:30 am

Perth to Sydney is the way you hear of just about everybody travelling. As you are travelling in the middle of our summer, have you considered the heat factor? It will more than likely be bloody hot (35-40C) and dry, so get early starts and take plenty of water with you.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed May 30, 2007 11:34 am

Better carry LOTS of water. It's about 200km between water stops across the Nullabor Plain and you're going to be consuming around 1 litre per hour in the heat of the day.

The wind would dictate you ride from Perth to Sydney, however, my advice would be to reconsider the timing of the trip completely. Do you realise the trip is about 4500km? The temperatures can climb to well over 40 degrees C in summer and there is NO shade for much of the trip you propose. The road temperatures will feel like 55 degrees when the ambient temp is 40 deg.

I've run across many European tourists who did not comprehend the enormity of the Australian outback. Mostly, they are in cars and still get themselves into trouble. One memorable one was on the western side of the South Aus/Western Aus border, with a map of NSW as his only navigation aid. He asked us to show him where he was on the map. We gave him some water and suggested he turn back while he still had enough fuel to get back to the previous road house he had passed.

In any case, good luck with your trip, and don't underestimate the danger of the Aussie environment in summer.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Crank

Postby Crank » Wed May 30, 2007 2:27 pm

Ok first up about the winds well they can change in direction any any time.
But as said before December and January is the hottest time of the year, but again thats also different every year as well, I do most of my riding up north of Western Australia i carry up to 15 liters or more water, which sometimes i use all up, but also im am use to hot riding and know a few tricks to avoid water problems and heat stroke which is very bad.

SO the only problem i can see with the ride is the time of the year you are doing it,this time of the year would be good but the night times will be cold but at least you can warm up.
But if you are like me that, just about live on my bicycle and are use to heat and all the kind of wheather thats thrown at you well go a head and enjoy like to hear how you went as well. :D :D :D :D remember the water..

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed May 30, 2007 2:57 pm

Crank wrote:..... but also im am use to hot riding and know a few tricks to avoid water problems and heat stroke which is very bad.
Okay Crank, spill the beans on your tricks then. The OP is a German tourist who won't know your tricks unless you pass them on. You stated that you are "used to hot riding". I doubt they are.

Additionally, they will be arriving from the northern winter and are not likely to have acclimated to the heat here. It will be very important for them to know exactly what they are getting themselves into.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed May 30, 2007 3:15 pm

Something international visitors to this country need to realise is that 40 degrees here is NOT like 40 degrees in the mediteranean. The UV levels in Oz are extreme compared to elsewhere - I remember a recent interview with and Indian cricketer who was adamant that although temperatures are higher for longer in the sub-continent, all their cricketers find Australian conditions far tougher thanks solely to the UV levels (not the lower humidity). That's the other issue, humidity, or the lack thereof - you will dehydrate faster here than in many other places in the world.

Personally, I think it's foolishness for any European to try to tour the Nullabor in high summer.

The other thing to consider is that Australia, overall, has a mild climate. There are few times of the year when you can not tour because of excessive cold or wet - you don't have to travel in summer (smart people try not to in some areas).

Then there is the tyranny of distance. Sorry if this sounds patronising to our German friends but unless you have experience the emptiness out there, you can not comprehend what those distances represent.

Perth to Squidly by bike? Very doable and it'd be a great trip. But please don't do it in Jan or Feb, choose a milder time of the year.

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 30, 2007 9:08 pm

As per the other posters, summer is not a safe time of year to cross Australia. There is a very long section that is largely uninhabited with long distances between sources of water.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Wed May 30, 2007 11:00 pm

europa wrote:Personally, I think it's foolishness for any European to try to tour the Nullabor in high summer.
Personally, I think it's foolishness for almost anyone to try to tour the Nullabor in high summer. :shock:

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed May 30, 2007 11:12 pm

stryker84 wrote:
europa wrote:Personally, I think it's foolishness for any European to try to tour the Nullabor in high summer.
Personally, I think it's foolishness for almost anyone to try to tour the Nullabor in high summer. :shock:
Don't say that, we're hoping Kev'll have a crack at it :twisted:

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 30, 2007 11:43 pm

europa wrote:
stryker84 wrote:
Don't say that, we're hoping Kev'll have a crack at it :twisted:

Richard
Definently Crank territory.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Penguin

perth to sydney

Postby Penguin » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:05 pm

o.k. - thank you for so many answers ... so we will reconsider our plan ...
Do you think November is a better time to tour this part (especially the nullabor) of australia ???

Kai and Sylvia

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:22 pm

Only marginally better. I lived in Kalgoorlie for the last thirteen years (moved to Perth in September last year). Having done so, I would be reluctant to undertake the trip you are planning any later in the year than October. My preference would be to start in September (or earlier) and finish 6 weeks later in Sydney. That's about 100km per day and you'd be passing through the worst of it (the WA goldfields and the nullabor) while it's still cool enough to manage.

I've driven the Nullabor perhaps 16 times. I was not kidding earlier when I said it's 200km between places to get water, and it's like that for around 1200km . That means starting out every two days carrying around 30 litres of water, and doing so 3 times. If you have break-down, you will need to rely on passing traffic for help (that should not be a problem though - people are friendly enough.)

Having tried to put you off as much as I can (for your own safety), I have seen cyclists doing that trip on about 8 of the times I've travelled the route. Quite a few were in the heat of summer, so it is possible to do it. It's possible, but not desirable.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:50 pm

Here's the weather bureau's map site showing the mean maximum temperatures for last year. You should be able to see how the temps change from month to month.

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/silo/tarc ... _type=cmap

Cheers,
Graeme

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:43 am

Hi Pinguin

Have a look on the "Tours" part of bicycles.net.au. There are some other 'travel-logs' and should should be able to get some good tips regarding your trip.

There are a lot of safety considerations, be careful not to underestimate all of the factors:
- Water
- Sun / Heat
- Communication / support
- spare parts (repair kit - inner tubes)

I would try, when possible, to choose the coolest time possible to do the route because the desert heat is incredible.

Sonst wünsche ich Euch viel Glück und Spas. Am besten soviel informationen wie möglich besörgen und auch noch leute organisieren die Eurch am bestimmten Tagen erwarten (sonst informieren die die Notdienst). Und, beim problemen... warten... so spart man am besten Energie... es kommt immer einer.

Cheers
Christopher

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:53 pm

In December and January, the winds on the Nullarbor are from the North or NE and it is hot. The last time I was at the town of Nullarbor it was 47 degrees celsius. It was so hot that the digital camera would not work.

If riding at this time of the year, you may probably need to ride at night or early morning and late afternoon.

Alternatively, buy a trike and put an umbrella on it :D

Kev.

jibi

Postby jibi » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:27 pm

Sorry to jump in here but... ( first post here)

I am planning the same ride in October 07 and the info here has been exactly what I was looking for.

I am sure I will have more questions but just reading the posts is enough for the moment

penguin... have a great trip

Tailwinds

george

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:01 pm

There is an alternative route across the Nullarbor. According to my in depth map, there is a track along the railway line :D

Anyone fancy a ride? It might be shorter in distance, however, getting a water drop organised is a problem.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.