Did yer have far to come?

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:29 am

9 km each way. It's an easy ride along the Graham Farmer Freeway bike path all the way to the city.

I am lucky too because they have awesome end of trip facilities where I work.

Cheers

Greg
<removed by request>

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:59 am

Just been trying out a new route last couple of days:

Crows Nest - Cromer via Spit Bridge and North Sydney Council guided cycleways: 19.00km each way
Crows Nest - Cromer via Roseville Bridge and Frenches Forest: about the same, more climbs

I dont do it that often, but aiming for once a fortnight. No showers at work so its wet towel and deodorant!

Jim

suzieQ

Postby suzieQ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:52 pm

9kms each way
as a newbie I'm finding it a definite workout but not so difficult that it's beyond me, just looking forward to getting the speed/time down now!

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:23 pm

Back on the bike today after a couple of weeks rest. Nice 40km tailwind to take me into the city so it was an easier ride than expected. Amazing how dark it is now staying in the morning (I probably notice this more after a couple of weeks rest). I don't think I switched my front light off until at least Warwick at around 7am.

Will make the return trip tomorrow as son's birthday means I have to be home at a reasonable time or else! :twisted:

Cheers,

Gary

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:48 pm

it was 3.6km until today when i moved office (along with 120 others) and it now 3.2km or about 9 mins on bike paths all the way.
I find though that I end up going the long way (about 15km) cos the direct run ends up annoying me that it is not enough time on the bike.

In fact i reckon if i had a good run on my bike (as in tried hard) on the direct route i could alomost beat myself driving to work (assuming the traffic was heavy and i got reds at all 3 sets of lights)

BikingMarco

Postby BikingMarco » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:10 pm

14km round trip featuring all the Sydney fun parts: Kings Cross, CBD and North Sydney. Love every km though and do it in lovely peak hour traffic every Mon-Fri.

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:55 am

Great ride today, woke up at 4.45am to watch Man Utd beat Inter Milan and then headed off to the City with a tailwind for the entire 40km journey! :lol:

Cheers,

Gary

Tale

Postby Tale » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:44 pm

suzieQ wrote:9kms each way
as a newbie I'm finding it a definite workout but not so difficult that it's beyond me, just looking forward to getting the speed/time down now!
Good on you. Over the next few weeks it'll become a bit less of a workout, but remain really good for you. It'll become something you love about your day, but still a mental battle to make yourself do it. And you'll get the time down!
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

Gregory_carroll

Postby Gregory_carroll » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:03 pm

16km (40mins) into work down the Nepean Highway - good, but not that scenic.
21km (1hr) home down the beach bike path.
To be honest I'm happy to take the time hit on the way home to take in a bit of scenery!!

Been doing it for 4 years and the novelty hasn't worn off. Anyone noticed that you can nail it the whole way, kill yourself and shave a whole 2 mins off your normal hour commute time? bloody laws of physics :-)
Lovin the Challenge!!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:20 pm

59km round trip. I try to do this twice a week on morning shift and on Saturday's if I am working.

rjk

Postby rjk » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:16 pm

60km return trip ringwood to melbourne estern bike path2-3 times a week for 3 months now done each day :) last 4 weeks
i carry laptop and clothes in panniers about 15kg of gear
i am 52 havent ridden for 10 years as i have a f**n big hill at my front door makes cycling home an absolute pain

But i cheat now i have an elctric assisted bicycle, feel fit and healthy now :)

i would add the picture of it but i dont know how as i am new here

lukas

Postby lukas » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:59 pm

About 17km each way between Hurstville and Redfern.

I stay adjacent to the Illawarra rail line until Wolli Creek where I cross the Princes Highway and go down Qantas drive on the bikepath. Up Coward then left onto Bourke Rd and I'm just about there.

Alternatively I can go through Sydenham, near Enmore then through Sydney Uni.. this way has more hills.

Haven't commuted for a month or two though.. Will probably get back into it once daylight savings disappears and I can't ride after work.
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:48 pm

Woke up nice and early expecting to get out and do a few more kms as a training ride. Pursuaded to stay in bed for an extra 20mins :D

Got up and raced out the door, nice morning, slight wind. Hardly any traffick on the roads or bike track.

10.84kms this morning in 21mins took it easy. Still avg 30.1kmh.

Ride home will be a training ride of 42kms. Round trip today of 52.84kms.

adam81

Postby adam81 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:18 am

I have 2 routes from port kennedy to medina one is 20km direct, light traffic good shoulders. The other is 25km riding along the coast, great scenery and once it starts getting darker earlier I'll get some great sunsets over the water. Currently working up to riding 5 days a week hopefully by winter will have it all sorted.

leximack

Postby leximack » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:04 pm

Today was a good commuting day

Quakers Hill to St Leonards - 33km
St Leonards to city and then to Castle Hill - 51km
Castle Hill to Quakers Hill - 12km

Total - 96km

Perfect weather also, great day to be on the bike

Don

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:15 pm

Five days a week all year around - Home to train station, train station to work. The same onthe return trip. All up 10km a day which is a good base for my overall fitness and activities to piggy back on.

Plus whatever special circumstance applies like detour to doctors appointment, detour to shops, etc.

My wife brings in a truckload of shirts on request and takes the old hangers. Daks are drycleaned at work.

Never any grief from the train staff. Never any grief from motorists. Never any grief from other cyclists. Some grief from my kids who get embarrassed when a teacher says "I saw your dad on the path at...". that's not important, they embarrass me all the time.

It works really well.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Unko

Re: Did yer have far to come?

Postby Unko » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:53 pm

2.4 km to work. its quicker to ride to work then to drive and find a park.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:43 pm

Hardest day ever riding home last night. Wind was blowing a gail. Had twigs and stones flying through the air. Others were walking while I tried to spin. What usually takes me 34mins took me 42mins to get home. It was only sheer determination that got me there.

DaNmAn

Postby DaNmAn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:38 pm

Ngunnawal to Braddon, 32km return, in 90 to 100 minutes
5 days = 160km a week

Master of Sinanju

Postby Master of Sinanju » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:27 pm

17-18 km each way. Queanbeyan > Civic

Reasonably flat, mix of shared path and on-road (mostly path inbound, mostly on road homeward).

I've only got the one bike (2003 NRS) so it's a bit slower than a roady but I like the option to transit from road to off-road in an emergency. Usually about 45 minutes each way plus a little on days with the child trailer for the first 2.5km.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:46 pm

Some days the 9km home turns into 42km. Its great to have to freedom to ride longer rides home :D
<removed by request>

Doc63

Postby Doc63 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:03 am

12.25km to work & 12.50km home - 3 or 4 days a week. Its pretty flat & I have to travel through the Melbourne CBD, so there is lots of traffic lights until I get down to Docklands.
Malvern Star SL500 10 Speed (circa 1977)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Can you beat averaging 12kph over a timed interval of a bit over two hours? I sure hope so.

I took a ride on Saturday morning and ended up finishing in the city (Perth) at my regular weekday haunt at Sassys on Swan for a coffee. That's a fraction over 14km in, averaging 11kph. Rode about three km around the shore area before taking the train to Canning Bridge, hopping off and riding the rest ofthe way home, all up abut 28km over an elapsed time of 3 hours, and, surprisingly, the bum wasn't too bad at all! There being noreally siginificant hills and slopes and zero wind at this time iof year, it's not that big a task, just time consuming.

I got a half dozen "hello colin's" as riders flashed past me but I only recognised one so sorry if I should have done better. However I suspect some were members of this forum who, reasonably enough bearing in mind the nature of my fixed wheel, assumed who I was. Hi to you all anyway.

I reckon I have managed in excess of 120km over the last week and a bit, which is really starting to look respectable. Methinks it's time I washed the sheepskin cover though.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:21 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I got a half dozen "hello colin's" as riders flashed past me but I only recognised one so sorry if I should have done better. However I suspect some were members of this forum who, reasonably enough bearing in mind the nature of my fixed wheel, assumed who I was. Hi to you all anyway.
You weren't out on the SOR Freeway PSP by any chance early Thursday morning? I passed a uni rider between 6:00 AM and 7:00 AM.

Andrew

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Andrew, if SOR is south-of-river and it was between Parry Avenue and Leach Highway, and it was a grey short-haired old guy struggling to get to 10kph, then yes, that's part of my trip any working week day. Give me a hoy next time as you flash past.