1993 Road Racing World Champs

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

1993 Road Racing World Champs

Postby europa » Wed May 30, 2007 11:17 pm

I've just been watching a DVD of the '93 World Champs. Man, what a race. About 6 1/2 hours around the streets of Oslo in pouring rain :shock: The conditions were atrocious - nothing resembling a dry line anywhere. In some of the downhill corners, they had the bikes slowed right down, kept bolt upright and tippy toeing around the turn like old grannies just learning to ride. In other places, you can see the bikes squirming on the wet road as they powered away.

And, of course, the race was won by Lance Armstrong (just 14 months after turning pro). Massive breakaway in the last lap in appalling conditions. The man was a bike handling genius.

Great watching.

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 31, 2007 10:50 am

A copy please .... :D

Nothing illegal at all though .... :shock:

Would have been interesting to have a good look at the bikes ...

europa

Postby europa » Thu May 31, 2007 11:19 am

I've got a great heap of them here. Maybe we ought to make an evening of it sometime ... or more. I'm currently working through the Indurain years of the TdF and decided to watch this for a change and man, what a change.

Richard

europa

Postby europa » Thu May 31, 2007 11:23 am

MichaelB wrote: Would have been interesting to have a good look at the bikes ...
Still lots of down tube shifters. I'm starting to understand why I have felt my Europa is too large nowadays when I didn't think so in the eighties (frames were a lot different). Bit of talk about one rider on a titanium bike and how all the factories were working to develop them. One rider (looked a bit like Anderson actually) on a bright yellow thing with a curved top tube that flowed into the rear stays that would have to have been carbon fibre but no mention was made of it. Indurain looks soooo young (he'd just won his first TdF).

Good stuff.

Richard

moosterbounce

Re: 1993 Road Racing World Champs

Postby moosterbounce » Thu May 31, 2007 2:42 pm

europa wrote:And, of course, the race was won by Lance Armstrong (just 14 months after turning pro). Massive breakaway in the last lap in appalling conditions. The man was a bike handling genius.

Great watching.

Richard
I remember this bit from one of his books. I can certainly understand how he became so driven (sorry Baden!!). It wasn't just bike handling, but sheer guts and determination.

I don't believe this doping stuff will ever go away, but I'm a Lance fan and don't believe he doped. He's just got that thing...I wish I had it...I won't even get my bike wet :roll:

Moo...