Training Rollers

brettjames

Training Rollers

Postby brettjames » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:02 pm

Just bought a Roller Trainer (Elite) and had a small play last night.

Found it REALLY tricky, and needed the wall as support till I gave up after about 15 minutes.

Will get back on it again tonight, but was wondering who here has a roller, and do you find it benficial over a fixed floor unit, and is the patience going to pay off once I've learnt the balance, or would I be better off going for a fixed floor system if I only intend on using it on the odd occasion ?

Thoughts please!

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:03 pm

You just need to get used to the rollers. Riding rollers will improve your technique but you cannot forget to concentrate on them for any period of time otherwise you will have an off. There is less unusual stress on the bottom bracket on rollers compared to fixed floor type trainers.

Speaking to a bloke the other day who is a sponsored rider, was at a race, warming up on the trainer and one of the blokes snapped the bottom bracket area on his frame. It was a full carbon look frame so no cheapie or low quality.

Stick with it, you will find that it will improve your riding, just need to give it time to get smoother on the pedals and keep your upper body still.
Yesterday was an easy day.

brettjames

Postby brettjames » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:03 pm

thanks Brendan, I don't intend on giving up, but just wandering if its as challenging as it first seems, and hoping it gets easier :P

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:34 am

Brett, it does take a couple of goes to master it. Try pumping up the tyres nice and hard, harder than you would have them on the road.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

snedden9485

Re: Training Rollers

Postby snedden9485 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:59 am

brettjames wrote:Just bought a Roller Trainer (Elite) and had a small play last night.

Found it REALLY tricky, and needed the wall as support till I gave up after about 15 minutes.

Will get back on it again tonight, but was wondering who here has a roller, and do you find it benficial over a fixed floor unit, and is the patience going to pay off once I've learnt the balance, or would I be better off going for a fixed floor system if I only intend on using it on the odd occasion ?

Thoughts please!
where did you purchase the rollers? Ebay or a LBS? I am looking at getting some in the coming months. Not sure whether to get plastic or alloy rollers and what size rollers to get. The smaller the roller the more resistance right?
Chris
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2011 Malvern Star Oppy TT9 Time Trial
2011 Giant Omnium Track
2012 Giant XTC Composite 29

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:18 am

Couple of tips for you

Make sure you set the rollers correctly. Ensure the bike is level and that the front axle of your bike is as close as possible to the centre of the front roller. A little either way is OK.

It helps to place the rollers in a doorway so you can hold onto the door frame to get started. Place the bike in the middle of the rollers and start by holding the left of center of the handlebars. Put your right foot in the clips. Keep your head up to keep a focus straight ahead.

And practice, more practice and you're away

Good luck

Matt

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:46 pm

brendancg wrote:You just need to get used to the rollers. Riding rollers will improve your technique but you cannot forget to concentrate on them for any period of time otherwise you will have an off. There is less unusual stress on the bottom bracket on rollers compared to fixed floor type trainers.

Speaking to a bloke the other day who is a sponsored rider, was at a race, warming up on the trainer and one of the blokes snapped the bottom bracket area on his frame. It was a full carbon look frame so no cheapie or low quality.

Stick with it, you will find that it will improve your riding, just need to give it time to get smoother on the pedals and keep your upper body still.
If riding in a trainer resulted in a frame failure, there was something wrong with the frame to start with.