BRW Corporate Triathlon anyone?

lang

BRW Corporate Triathlon anyone?

Postby lang » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:41 pm

So is anyone doing the one in Sydney in April? Anyone doing/done it in the other states?

I'm entering my first tri. My running & cycling are fine, but I hadn't swum properly since primary school! Getting swimming lessons at the moment and they have improved my freestyle immensely. I would've been doing backstroke/breast stroke without them.

Hoping to complete the whole thing in 50 mins. I can run 4km in around 20 mins at the fastest, and easily cycle 30km/h on the flats. It's all down to the swim and whether I can freestyle the whole way. I'm hoping it's true that the course is really shorter than the advertised distance...

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:54 am

never done one, but swimming is generally what separates the men from the boys! :shock: if you want to get a good time, spend the next 6 weeks in the pool :wink:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

Mr888

Re: BRW Corporate Triathlon anyone?

Postby Mr888 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:56 pm

Good luck Lang

I've done this event 5 times already, but unfortunately due to the "Global Financial Crisis" my work will not be participating this year.

For this event I recommend you stick to the swimming and running training. The bike leg is too short for you to make up any time. The hardest part will be running back up to the compound after your swim (that up hill is harder then it looks) and getting in and out of the compound. If you are a good swimmer and can conserve a lot of energy in the swim, you'll do really well. The other two legs you'll find that you'll be equal to or marginally better then the other competitors. Furthermore, there will be too many competitors around you that will impede on your performance.

50min is a good target, but if you're competant in all three disceplines, you'll do it in way under 50min.

Since it's your first one, just have fun and use it to gauge if you want to do more triathlons in future.
It's the Vibe, It's the Constitution, It's Mabo...it's all that...

lang

Postby lang » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:25 pm

Good advice 888.
Yeah I figured that it's more like a fun-tri, and would be too crowded and short to go for a really good time.

The unfortunate part is that if this rain continues, the swim leg will be replaced with a 300m run! This is a great shame because I've learnt to swim front crawl just for this event!!!

mortsraks

Postby mortsraks » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:37 pm

Lang ... i'm in for my second crack at this on sunday ... aparently starting 2hrs 25mins after the first wave ... have you got your start time yet? ... and here did you hear about the swim leg being swapped for a 300m run if the rain continues?

Mr888 ... shame your work doesn't understand the importance of keeping staff happy ... we had trouble getting our work to enter us ... and that was even after we had offered to pay for it ourselves ... you are dead right about the hill after the swim, i was already down to a walk halfway back to transition
2010 Giant Defy 2

Feel free to drop by my weight loss / training blog - http://www.hmfic-clothing.com/79point9/

lang

Postby lang » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:32 am

mortsraks - yeah I heard about the possibility of the swim being replaced. All my workmates reckon it's a probability. Such a shame. I got my start time - I'm starting at 0:00 hours - first wave! Look out for me, I'm in a black+white Cochlear uniform and on a black+blue Avanti.

It's a shame about companies pulling out this year. It's a great team building event.

Addict

Postby Addict » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:14 pm

this will be my 3rd year doing this race ! cannot wait!

It is a fantastic way to get into triathlons.... dont let the bug get you tho.. :mrgreen:

enjoy the day.. im sure you will love it !

lang

Postby lang » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:21 pm

I survived!

How'd you guys all go?

I was first wave, and was second last out of the water! :lol: Then put the hurt on and finished in approx 41 mins, although will have to wait for the official times. Awesome event.

Mugshot

Postby Mugshot » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:14 pm

Loved it,
Transition wasnt as slick as i had hoped but managed round about 40 min time.
Need to check results once updated.

Riding out of there was like critical mass though!

Addict

Postby Addict » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:56 am

turned out to be great weather suprisingly!!

i must of stepped on a rock or tree root during transitions because my foot is killing me today ! :oops:

looking forward to seeing my official time..

lang

Postby lang » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:51 pm

Official times are available. 40:46 for me - w00t!

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:38 pm

Wish us Brissy boys some luck.

3 weeks to go!

lang

Postby lang » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:59 pm

Man you'll love it. Especially in the warm Brissy climate.

mortsraks

Postby mortsraks » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:55 am

Lang / Addict - great times you two posted ... I managed a 48.42 that i was more than happy with considering last year's effort had me at 1hr 03mins ...

Lang - I would have seen you coming out of the watched as I was down at the finish line to watch the first wave come in. I wouldn't worry too much about coming out of the swim leg where you did, I think they might have stacked your group with a few pro's ... especially considering Courtney Atkinson was first out of the water and ended up taking out the day

Addict - Slightly rolled my ankle too ... I remember is was when I was turning into the lane for transition and I slipped on a rock
2010 Giant Defy 2

Feel free to drop by my weight loss / training blog - http://www.hmfic-clothing.com/79point9/

Addict

Postby Addict » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:38 am

official time 34:41! beat my last year score by 4mins w00t.

next year i will be aiming for 31!!

Foot still hurts.. but getting better !

Courtney Atkinson.. what a machine ! :shock:

Risque

Postby Risque » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Hey folks,

I came in at 48 mins, first crack at a triathlon. The swim was an experience (had been training in a 50m pool the whole time, didn't realise the taste of salt water would stick around the whole time :P ). Cycle leg went well, but I dropped off in the run.

Hoping to shed some kgs and shave 8 mins off for next years one! All in all, a great experience.

Anybody know what time Courtney Atkinson did it in? The winner (according to the spreadsheet) was 26m, so I'd be keen to see what an Olympian can do it in.

lang

Postby lang » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:53 pm

Killer time Addict!

Great stuff Risque. I heard that Atkinson did it in the 24's, but that contradicts the spreadsheet. Not sure.

Mugshot

Postby Mugshot » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:31 pm

ClownBoy wrote:Wish us Brissy boys some luck.

3 weeks to go!
Hopefully my work will ask me to go up for it