Toowong Roundabout Cyclist Crossing

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:03 pm

Walked over it this morning, it is a very impressive structure and thanks to all those who have had something to do with making it happen.
BUT :!: i think the "merge" of the concrete bikelane with the Mt Coottha Rd (this is the western end of the project) is not at all good and i think it will need some improvement. Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:31 pm

i'm gonna head out there tomorrow (sunday)!
can't wait!

mich rolling

Postby mich rolling » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:10 pm

Andrew Fraser's electorate, wouldn't have happened without him (and St Anna of Queensland).

Compare this to Roozendale and the the hopeless clueless crew in NSW allowing the cutting the Prospect Resevoir Canal off-road route and not requiring a replacement. http://www.canalreserve.org/

mich rolling

Postby mich rolling » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:12 pm

The Queensland LibNot's approach to non-car transport seems to be limited to demanding better parking for cars at Indooroopilly Station so that the burghers from further out can avoid the higher parking fees if they drive all the way to the CBD instead of most of the way.

BrisBoy

Postby BrisBoy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:44 pm

elantra wrote:Walked over it this morning, it is a very impressive structure and thanks to all those who have had something to do with making it happen.
BUT :!: i think the "merge" of the concrete bikelane with the Mt Coottha Rd (this is the western end of the project) is not at all good and i think it will need some improvement. Anyone else got any thoughts on this?
I had a pedal over it today. Very nice, the merge coming off the bridge onto the Mt Coottha Rd was fine. What they stuffed up there for me was getting back on from the other side of the road there's an island! Couldn't believe it! Had to pedal a bit further up the road and chuck a u-ie to get back onto the path so that was annoying. :evil: Still much safer than trying to negotiate the old round about though.

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:52 am

yeah it's great.
i thought the merge was ok too: at least it gives the rider enough room to keep rolling and link up with the road at a decent speed (if the road is clear of cars)

but yes - on the way back you can easily miss the entrance.
i saw a rider do that (red jersey/knicks) - maybe it was you brisboy??
:)

to be honest - i like riding on the road on the way back. it's fun to play with cars sometimes! you have a little bit of downhill which gives you enough speed to get up over 50kms/hr and merge with the traffic and usually you can just roll through the roundabout and turn right into sylvan road just as if you were a car.

BrisBoy

Postby BrisBoy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:31 pm

wasn't me :) was in blue yesterday :shock:

Max

Postby Max » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:06 pm

Went for a ride on it today. I liked that the ramps aren't too much of an incline, so the average plonker (ie me) can get up the ramp without too much effort. :)

Now all they need to do is find a way for cyclists from Bardon to be able to cross over onto the centenary bike path without having to mess with the roundabout.

Max

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:58 pm

Max wrote:Now all they need to do is find a way for cyclists from Bardon to be able to cross over onto the centenary bike path without having to mess with the roundabout.

Max
Yes Max that is a problem.
Try cutting through Toowong cemetary, this is especially feasible on the return leg, from the Coottha end new cyclist bridge TO any part of bardon.
Just level with that concrete road hazard referred to in above posts, there is a well-worn path into the cemetary. (Or enter via Richer St.)
The path links with an internal road after about 50 metres, just turn left and always head uphill it is quite a gentle and pleasant climb with great views. It brings you out high up on Birdwood terrace, from where just about anywhere in bardon is downhill. Best to cut onto Birdwood Tce before the cemetary road starts to go downhill again.
Try it, but more suitable for MTB than road bikes.

Max

Postby Max » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:18 pm

Thanks, Elantra, I'll have to give that a go!

Max

The Special One

Postby The Special One » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:20 pm

Plus one to the cross-over issue on the way back and also plus one for the re-joining of the path at the Western Freeway section - very little space.

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:43 pm

look: i know it's not perfect - but i think it's a bloody good facility and we shouldn't whinge too much about the short-comings.

i am actually quite stunned it got made - it's like the first bike facility in brisbane built for bike-enthusiasts - not primarily for commuters and people doing casual exercise.

maximum kudos to the QLD state gov.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:53 pm

Photos ?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

BrisBoy

Postby BrisBoy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:19 pm

winona_rider wrote:look: i know it's not perfect - but i think it's a bloody good facility and we shouldn't whinge too much about the short-comings.

i am actually quite stunned it got made - it's like the first bike facility in brisbane built for bike-enthusiasts - not primarily for commuters and people doing casual exercise.

true true

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:54 am

mikesbytes wrote:Photos ?
http://picasaweb.google.com/sandyswampd ... zDgMezvQE#
sorry this is my first attempt to put photos onto this forum but this is (if it works) taken under the toowong end of the ramp up to overpass
and also looking down to the freeway from overpass
As has been stated it isnot perfect but it indicates that Qld government was prepared to spend 10 million dollars primarily to meet the needs of cyclists.
In particular thanks to the Hon. Andrew Fraser who is the local MP (as far as i know not a relation of Malcolm Fraser)

Max

Postby Max » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:42 am

I agree it could've been done better, but name any major project that's perfect. I'm very happy with the outcome, myself!

Max

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:49 am

winona_rider wrote:look: i know it's not perfect - but i think it's a bloody good facility and we shouldn't whinge too much about the short-comings.

Must be an election in the air ... ;)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:49 pm

Hopefully I will get to see what it is like with a picnic with my otherhalf at Mt Cootha Botanic Gardens on Sunday.
Interesting that they have not done any landscaping around the structure.
I am just glad that it is open, No more having to take that Bus that goes everywhere before going to the Gardens.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:40 pm

Ok I used it yesterday and was vey impressed. Nice wide path but some line marking would of been a good addition. Overall I am very impressed.

That said who the hell thought it would be a good idea to finish the Shared path where it finishes. Yes I know there is on road bike lanes but that just does not work for my other half. Would it of killed them to extend the path down to the Mt Cootha Botanic Gardens which would of bee a logical place to finish the bikeway.

I have rung BCC for a please explain. After doing that I reviewed the project newsletters to realise that even the path was a state government as well (I originally thought it was just the overpass) I will ring them when I get home.
This bit in my opinion needs to be fixed, which is a blight on an otherwise fantasic piece of cycling infrastructure

Donald

PS BCC said it would be 10 weeks before they got back to me
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:54 pm

I also just rang the main roads project Info line for a please explain they said they will call me back.

Donald

master6

Re: Toowong Roundabout Cyclist Crossing

Postby master6 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:40 pm

The plans were available for public viewing prior to this project commencing construction.
I was too apathetic to take the trouble to look at the available information because I knew I would get a lot more satisfaction at the conclusion of construction by venting 10 tonnes of negative comment and criticism at that stage.
(AT)#%^$%#(AT)))!!!!!!!!!and so on! I know cycling!!!! I know engineering!!!!!!!

Like you whinging critics, I need to give my mouth a rest and get on with some cycling.

beauyboy

Re: Toowong Roundabout Cyclist Crossing

Postby beauyboy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:57 am

Master what exactly are you saying?

Anyway. I have recieved a reply from BCC via email.
They are looking at providing a footpath(yes footpath) to the Gardens Gates however no funding has been provided as yet.

Donald