Giant CRX 1 Vs Specialized Sirrus Comp

Tastic

Giant CRX 1 Vs Specialized Sirrus Comp

Postby Tastic » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:29 am

Hi, I am looking at getting a Flatbar Road bike for commuting and general fitness riding. However, I can only find 2 that are in my size XS = 38cm.

Giant CRX1 and Specialized Sirrus Comp.

Can anyone share their views on these bikes or have any other altnenatives.

Thanks

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:43 am

How tall are you? That sounded like a really small frame. Are you sure that's what you need? Then there are differences b/n the frame design, you may be suitable for a larger frame, no?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:48 am

Hi Tastic,

Are you male or female?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Tastic

Postby Tastic » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:49 am

male

Tastic

Postby Tastic » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:55 am

I am 160cm tall with leg length 69.5cm. As I understand if I was to calculate 69.5cm minus 30cm = 39.5cm or XS (frame size).

Yes I am a small fellow :wink:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:55 pm

Tastic wrote:I am 160cm tall with leg length 69.5cm. As I understand if I was to calculate 69.5cm minus 30cm = 39.5cm or XS (frame size).

Yes I am a small fellow :wink:
Don't just use the calculation, go and sit on the actual bike and see how it feels.

Some guys who have short arms actually get the female frame and then put male handlebars on them. Depends on your body shape.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Tastic

Postby Tastic » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:02 pm

Thanks Mikesbytes, I will definitely take it for a test ride when the time is right to purchase.

For the meantime I am fairly content on commuting with my Shogun with new Shimano clipless pedals & shoes - big improvement in efficiency.

However, I would like to know what peoples experiences are with Giant and Specialized Flatbar road bikes.

anthonyp

Postby anthonyp » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:18 am

Tastic, I have recently purchased the Giant CRX 1 and would say that it's a quality bike to ride but it's definitely on the "roadie" side of flat bar. You can't really use it off-road but if your after a flat bar with more upright geometry compared to a road bike then it's great.

Tastic

Postby Tastic » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:40 am

anthonyp, would a Giant CRX1 be suitable for bike paths that are not well maitained. What I mean by not well maitained are paths which have cracks and bumps in them. Because where I commute to work, most sections are good but certain sections are bad.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:13 pm

Tastic wrote:anthonyp, would a Giant CRX1 be suitable for bike paths that are not well maitained. What I mean by not well maitained are paths which have cracks and bumps in them. Because where I commute to work, most sections are good but certain sections are bad.
If you look at those cyclo-cross events, you'll gain a lot more respect for those drop-bar, narrow tyred bikes. :shock:

Makes me wonder why would one need a mountain bike...
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

anthonyp

Postby anthonyp » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Tastic, I commute along the bike path on beach road and some sections are a bit rough but the CRX 1 handles them fine. Of course it's not as smooth as a mountain bike but no real problem.
Depends on the percentage, the CRX is great and pretty fast for road and smooth bike path so if only a small percentage is rough it would still be a better option than a wider tyre, slower bike. However if the greater percentage of your ride is over rough bike paths u would be better off getting a mountain bike because the CRX is a reasonable stiff bike, with 28mm tyres but not as extreme as a drop bar road bike.

I just love the bike and reckon it's ideal for someone looking for flat bar, with relaxed geometry but still want to ride fast.

Tastic

Postby Tastic » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:38 pm

anthonyp, I commute along the Gardiner's Greek bike path which runs along the Monash freeway ans only a small percentage is rough partically around the Malvern Vally Golf course.

Did you get a good deal for your CRX1? I am looking to get it from Goldcross because I can get 10% off for being a RACV member.

anthonyp

Postby anthonyp » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:45 pm

Tastic, I paid $1490 and got a good discount on lights, computer, rack, shoes, safety vest, bar ends, pump (ie he deducted $200 from rrp)but i think u could probably get it cheaper if u wanted to save a bit of money. I liked the service of the shop and he spent a lot of time walking me through the different bikes and the price seemed reasonably so I wasn't going to bargain chase for saving maybe 50 - 100 dollars.
Sounds like if u can get 10% discount from goldcross then u can't really go too wrong on price.
I just thought about the money I would be saving on either petrol or train tickets, and the fitness benefits so was just keen to start cycling again. My old heavy mountain bike wasn't upto 18 km commutes(each way) and my back doesn't like the bending on drop bars so I was after a good quality bike I would enjoy riding and therefore continue to commute. So far I have thoroughly enjoyed riding the CRX 1.

Tastic

Postby Tastic » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:26 pm

18km each way is a pretty reasonable commute, I do 16km each way on my mountain bike and it takes approx 40 mins. How long does it take you on the CRX 1?

anthonyp

Postby anthonyp » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:58 pm

It takes between 35 - 43 minutes depending on the wind. The headwind on beach road can really slow me down. It really depends on your fitness levels but this bike can be driven fast if your capable. It's very stable on quick descents, and really is a flat bar road bike with slightly relaxed geometry (ie top bar sloping up, more upright). If you like the moutain bike upright position over the drop bar position and want performance close to a road bike then this is a good option. It's not for off-road (but is slightly more rugged than a road bike) and has a rigid frame. I believe the frame is very similar to the Giant OCR series frames and also has similat components ( 105, carbon forks, carbon seatpost ). Just depends on what u are looking for. I don't find the drop bars comfortable but others do.
Best to test ride a few bikes before u make a decision. Couple similar bikes which are just as good so comes down to personal preference.

Tastic

Postby Tastic » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:09 pm

thanks for the advise anthonyp.

craigjdurkee

Postby craigjdurkee » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:08 pm

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:11 pm

Yeah Craig, but I've been to your website and you're nuts :D

Seriously, with a ride like that (50 km is it? Whatever, it's a serious commute), I'm interested that your bike is still basically standard, especially with the bars - flat bars with no extensions on the ends. Surely that limits you to just one position. Is it a case of that's never been a problem for you? Or is it a case that you've become used to it? I'm interested because it not only flies in the face of everything I've read, but also in the face of my own experience ... and I love heretics of any sort :D

Richard

Tastic

Postby Tastic » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:08 pm

I finally opted to get the Giant OCR1 and loving it. Initially i was a bit apprehensive because it took a couple of weeks to get use to. But, once I got use to the drop bar setup and the levers being forward it's great.
Last edited by Tastic on Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

McPete

Postby McPete » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:59 am

Good choice, the OCR1 is a pretty quick bike. A mate of mine used to have one, until it got nicked last week. When he came riding with me, on his son's Kmart special mountain bike he was strugling :P

Drop bars do take quite some getting used to, when I went from an old ladies bike to my Apollo III, I fell off a few times, particularly going to chage gears (new rider+friction shifters= Ow) but now I find it so much faster and more controlable than any flatbar bike.

If I may for a moment ask about the commutes you guys do, how do you cover the distances in that short time? It takes me 10 minutes(roughly, I don't have a cycle computer) to cover my 3Km commute. I'm not familiar with the lay of the land around Melborne, but from your distances/times I'd imagine it's pretty flat?

Anyway, good choice of bike mate,

Peter

Tastic

Postby Tastic » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:36 am

McPete, my commute is 16km each way. Aprroximately 85% bike path and 15% road. It takes from 33 mins to 40 mins ride time only, that's what my cycle computer tells me. And yes, the terrain that I negotiate daily is fairly flat with a couple of short hill climbs - great for a quad workout when I am in the mood.

3km commute is quite a short distance compared to what I do, but glad to see you are doing it in 10mins.

cairnsm

Postby cairnsm » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:48 pm

Late entry, but I have now been riding a 70km round trip commute from Thornbury to Noble Park a couple of times a week on a 2006 CRX1, mostly on bike path (anniversary trail) and some roads. The CRX loves it- i've had no probs, no flats, and it takes only just a bit longer than by car, 1hr 20 mins. I really like the flat bar position becuase I can keep my head up, ready for the odd pidgeon or dog on the path. The bike is nice and light, and so far after 8 months of heavy riding it has proved to be a very tough study bike.