Where to buy a second hand bike in Perth?

fatyank

Where to buy a second hand bike in Perth?

Postby fatyank » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:29 am

Can anyone propose a good place to pick up a second-hand bike around Perth? My budget is pretty low and I'm only riding about 100-150 k's per week.

While we're on the subject, can anyone recommend what sort of bike I should be looking for? I'm 6'1, 120 kilos and I spend most of my time on the road. However, I do get some gravel time. I'm new to cycling this year and doing it mostly for fitness (started off 2009 at 131 kilos).

I've noticed in browsing the forums that WA has some fairly well-informed (seemingly) forumites and any push in the right direction will be very appreciated.

Cheers, Jackson :shock:

roller

Postby roller » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:02 pm

have heard good things about the quokka - have had a look myself & there's always a lot of bikes in there for sale.

i'd suggest going in to a bike shop, finding out what size bike you need & then scouring the quokka for one that fits.

p.s. at 100-150kms a week you'll be upgrading pretty soon if you get anything that's not the right fit for you - so choose carefully.

at those distances probably a roadie would be best - having said that if you're going off road then you could soon be spending a heap of money on repair so maybe a good mountain bike would be more appropriate.

i guess it would be a good idea to weigh up how important it is to go off road (ie it might be an optional part of your planned exercise route, or it might be unavoidable)
inflammatory statement or idea

toofat

Postby toofat » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:10 pm

welcome fatyank,
Quokka classifieds or gumtree online would be good places to start,

I was in your position but lighter and started with a hybrid, that lasted 3 months before I got a carbon racer

If i were doing it again I would get a good quality steel racer(80's cromolly are cheap) and spend a bit getting it running perfectly and upgrading a few things like wheels, if you did later down the track decide to get a new bling bike this could do as a commute or wet weather bike or you could move the good bits on to a new bike
just my 2 spokes worth

ScottDavis

Postby ScottDavis » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:09 pm

www.triwa.org.au

Chat / Classifieds
2009 Focus Raven Expert, 2008 Oppy Le Mauco (In Blue), 2005 Avanti Corsa Carbonio, 2003 GT i-Drive 3.0
http://twitter.com/ScottDavis
http://700x23.wordpress.com/

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:10 pm

Steel is the go, I have some frames available in your size: viewtopic.php?t=11776
Cheers,
George.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:42 pm

you can try gumtree or police auctions

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:36 pm

I think I'd be going to see George (gclark8) if I were you. Buying used is problematic, and George knows his stuff (by all accounts).

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

velogrrl

second hand bikes

Postby velogrrl » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:13 pm

I agree with Kalgrm, George is the wiz for second hand bikes. If he hasn't got one to suit, check out the suburbs with "bring out your dead" collections. You will be amazed what people throw away. We have been collecting bikes for a women's bike ed program (see topic Women on Wheels) and have picked up an amazing variety of shapes and sizes of bikes, some of which look like they're hardly used. I think some people don't realise you can repair flat tyres, you don't have to buy a brand new bike everytime you get a puncture.
I still can't post links (grrr!) but if you go to the local council websites you can find the dates for their verge collections and the BTA-bulletin dot blogspot dot com also has links to a number of the western suburbs council sites.
If you find a bike that needs a bit of TLC, take it to George or someone like him with a passion for recycling bikes. In my experience bike shops are generally just interested in selling you new bikes.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: second hand bikes

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:23 pm

velogrrl wrote:I still can't post links (grrr!) ....
You can now - you have more than 9 posts. :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:30 pm

Pal & Panther in Angove Street North Perth is the only bike shop I've seen recently that sells secondhand bikes, most don't/won't because they don't have a secondhand licence i've been told

Canno

quokka

Postby Canno » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:26 pm

+ 1 for the Quokka...online is great

WARNING - you will need a bike that fits. I've been there with a Giant OCRA Comp which was a ripper bike but after I ended up with stretched hamstrings...

Brought the next bike, an 08 Giant OCR 2 for $600 from the quokka as well. Have since had a fit from Rick at Churchill Cycles and am wrapt...goes like a dream (I do a 20km occasional commute from Freo)

mal

Postby mal » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:40 pm

agree George is the bomb when it comes to second hand and good advice thown in.

fatyank

Postby fatyank » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:13 am

Thank you everybody for your information. I'm off to the bike shop this weekend for a fit and to get better able to sprickin the lingidy.

George, after the frame what am I normally looking at to put a bike together? Is it something I can piece together and then replace bit by bit over time until I'm happy with what I have?

I'm sure I'll have another question or two before it's all through.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:45 am

Another +1 for George and for a recycled bike.

George has a great range of "project" bikes just waiting to be reborn and the ones he rebuilds and sells are great value.

Stephen

wintal

Postby wintal » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:02 pm

fatyank wrote:Thank you everybody for your information. I'm off to the bike shop this weekend for a fit and to get better able to sprickin the lingidy.

George, after the frame what am I normally looking at to put a bike together? Is it something I can piece together and then replace bit by bit over time until I'm happy with what I have?

I'm sure I'll have another question or two before it's all through.
I grabbed a frame from George too - I probably spent around 10 hours fixing it up (regreasing all the bearings, removing rust etc) and had no prior experience doing any of this stuff, so it's not that hard. I did have a set of tools and a book about bike repair though ;)

The actual frames vary a bit, mine was probably rideable straight away, but you're obviously better off with nice clean bearings etc ;)

Cheers,
Leighton...

bennysthe1

Postby bennysthe1 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:42 pm

I grabbed a couple bikes from George. Great bikes to fix up and my SS IS ALMOST FINISHED !

Thanks George.

thefazz

Postby thefazz » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:19 pm

also try the marketplace on this website.

the bike store on southstreet in o'conner also carries the odd second hand road once in a while.
tallywhacker wrote:you can try police auctions
where and when do the police auctions take place?

Thoglette

And there's our old mate Cashconvertors

Postby Thoglette » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:58 am

Usually full of overpriced junk, Cashies occasionally spits out something interesting - eg 80s CroMo.

Usual caveat about knowing what size you want applies. Still not as good as local bring-out-yer-rubbish (kicking myself for missing a Peugeot Mixte a while back - by the time I drove back it was gone, gone, gone)

Red_Baron

Re: Where to buy a second hand bike in Perth?

Postby Red_Baron » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi BNA members, I am looking for a second hand road bike or hybrid for a young student friend who's coming out from the UK to play a season's cricket in Perth and just needs a cheap / reasonable road bike to get him around Perth's suburbs & cycle ways during the week from when he first lands, without breaking the bank with anything that'll attract bike part thieves. He's 1.8m (6ft) with a 780mm leg length so thinking about a 21" (~54cm) frame with 170mm crank size may suit. Was wondering George if you might have anything that suits, have looked on Gumtree and Quokka & nothing immediately available. Will also try that shop in North Perth, as well as Council recycling. Thanks for your time, Jono

Daddy Pig

Postby Daddy Pig » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:36 am

I am also after. Bike, for Some reason it will not let me message George, I have signed up for a 70.3 in May 2021 so need a bike, xl frame should do the trick
Thanks jason

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:35 am

Daddy Pig wrote: I am also after. Bike, for Some reason it will not let me message George, I have signed up for a 70.3 in May 2021 so need a bike, xl frame should do the trick
Thanks jason
He haven't been back....

So maybe you'd like to have a look/call or ring in Movement Systems in Burswood of new and second hand bicycles.

https://movementsystems.com.au/products/perth-bicycles/
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...