Cramps

lemmiwinks

Cramps

Postby lemmiwinks » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:30 pm

I think this is the right section for this... This afternoon at the end of our bunch ride, there was a little impromptu sprint for the finish, well, more of a pace increase really. Anyway, I wanted to have a go as I had plenty of energy left, but as soon as I lifted my pace both calves cramped solid. Not painful at all but I couldn't bend my ankles at all which made it awkward to say the least.

About 5-10 seconds after I gave up and started coasting they just came good. This isn't the first time it's happened to me, though normally it's only one leg. Also, often during the ride if I'm pushing hard on a climb I can sometimes feel my calves/hamstrings just on the verge of cramping.

Any suggestions as to what the cause could be? I drink 500ml of gatorade and some water about 1/2 an hour before the ride (though when I've used it up I'll be buying something that contains magnesium). Do I just need more salt?
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Cramps

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:46 pm

It's complex and nobody really knows the answer.

However, the fitter you are and and the better your endurance gets through training, the less cramps occur. Making sure you have sufficient fluid with electrolytes and carbohydrates does help.

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:09 pm

Thanks Alex. I'm calling it a cramp because both calves went rock hard and I couldn't bend my ankles, although there was no pain like you'd normally associate with cramps. But I guess it's still a cramp.

I read an article the other day claming what electrolytes should be in what concentrations in your sports drink so I went and checked the Gatorade (powder) which only had about 1/2 the things and in lower concentrations. I'll try something "better" next time and hopefully that helps too. But as with most things cycling related, I suspect more, faster, harder and longer will probably help most :roll:
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

JCR

Postby JCR » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:47 pm

Try Endurolytes by Hammer Nutrition.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:03 pm

Weird. I have never heard of cramps without pain.

There might be something else in play there. Are you sure you aren't an alien? :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:03 pm

sogood wrote:Weird. I have never heard of cramps without pain.
I know, though no pain is a definite plus. My performance is very much down to earth :wink:

Will keep an eye out for Endurolytes, thanks JCR.

Funkymonk

Postby Funkymonk » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:53 pm

I used to suffer your symptoms went to a seminar on "night cramps" at UWA , their advise was Magneisum after all their testing

went home and brought MAGNESIUM CHELATE 500mg take 3 a day never had them again that was 1987 ....

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:24 pm

Sweet! Thanks Funkymonk, stupid Gatorade has 0 magnesium. I'll get hold of some before the weekend (my first race!)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:32 pm

Plenty of Mg in a banana.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:16 am

Mulger bill wrote:Plenty of Mg in a banana.

Shaun
In that case - bugger 'cause I normally eat two a day, at least one. On the plus side I didn't have any problems yesterday and I sprinted (for me anyway) like buggery at the end :D

Funkymonk

Postby Funkymonk » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:53 pm

Thre problem with Mg is it is water soluble and the more you drink the quicker your body flushes it , hence 3x 500mg of Chelated Mg a day .

2 x banana's = buggar all

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:38 pm

lemmi, you wouldn't happen to take asthma meds. I was on one that gave me "scream in pain" cramps changed it and my current meds give me painless cramps in my hands if I over use them.

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:18 pm

Nope, no asthma medication at all.

Might still track down some magnesium supplements tomorrow (need a new seat more urgently though!)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:28 pm

I've done some research on cramps and there are many reasons for them.

Often sport'ies are deficient in something and commonly that is Magnesium. So try taking Magenesium and see if that helps.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:29 pm

Well, got my performance enhancing drugs (magnesium supplement) today. Took one at lunch and no sign of cramps when I went racing at 4 so hopefully that's the end of it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.