How awesome is commuting?!!?!?!!

Thoglette

Bugger being green

Postby Thoglette » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:34 pm

I commute because I'm less grumpy at either end.

Whether it's faster depends on the when, the weather, the wind and whether I'm crook or not. And which bike I've got.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:43 pm

had to catch the bus home yesterday - 1 hour of my life I can't get back.

Today - 25 minutes on the bike. Nice ride too.
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:20 pm

The commute home is something to look forward to at the end of the day. Makes it hard to concentrate on work on a Friday afternoon though!
<removed by request>

RadioDog

Postby RadioDog » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:35 pm

Commuting the 16kms to work and back is the only saddle time I get at the moment. Work makes it too easy to ride - bike lock-up, showers, towels, lockers ...

But crap drivers are driving me mad! I'm averaging two or three idiots a day, more in the morning than on my ride home. The price I pay, I guess.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:54 am

RadioDog wrote:But crap drivers are driving me mad! I'm averaging two or three idiots a day, more in the morning than on my ride home. The price I pay, I guess.
Strangely enough the last two days I commuted this week, Wed and Fri, the f$#king idiot brigade were out in force. Must be a full moon or something..... :roll: . Getting good value for money out of my precious Air Zound though ;-).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

RadioDog

Postby RadioDog » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:52 am

Boognoss wrote:Strangely enough the last two days I commuted this week, Wed and Fri, the f$#king idiot brigade were out in force. Must be a full moon or something..... :roll: . Getting good value for money out of my precious Air Zound though ;-).
I'm sure it's the full moon. Especially those 4WDers ...OPEN YOUR FREAKING EYES! Got off the phone! Watch where you're going! And bloody bulb-savers who don't indicate and/or swerve into your lane. I'm developing some nice sign language to intimidate them though, the bird just doesn't cut it. There's the "I'm watching you", the "I've got your details" and the "What the f*** are you doing???".

Anyone remember the Spike Milligan bike safety pamphlets of the 80s? I think it's time for another massive education campaign for drivers and cyclists.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:37 pm

RadioDog wrote:it's time for another massive education campaign for drivers and cyclists.
+1
<removed by request>

Supe

Postby Supe » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:03 pm

How do you guys deal with wet weather and shoes? I commute to and from work and sometimes get caught in the rain. It sucks to put my feet back in wet shoes. Are there shoes that are quick dry? (forget thongs or crocs rubbish)

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:13 pm

I don't know if it's Darwin Chic or not, but you can buy sandals with provision for attaching cleats. Shimano and Lake make them (amongst others): they're popular with tourers.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Supe

Postby Supe » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:20 pm

Kalgrm wrote:I don't know if it's Darwin Chic or not, but you can buy sandals with provision for attaching cleats. Shimano and Lake make them (amongst others): they're popular with tourers.

Cheers,
Graeme
No such thing as 'chic' in Darwin. But I would not wear sandals. At the moment, I ride a beat up MTB to work. I might just buy a couple pairs of Dunlop volleys.

Edit> Grats on 6k worth of posts. :)

philip

Postby philip » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:26 pm

Supe wrote:How do you guys deal with wet weather and shoes? I commute to and from work and sometimes get caught in the rain. It sucks to put my feet back in wet shoes. Are there shoes that are quick dry?
My shimano cycling shoes dry fairly quickly. I actually have the side of the case of my computer at work off, and if I put my shoes half in the case where there's good circulation of warm air from the CPU fan they're dry by lunch time (what a nerd). The other trick is to stuff them with newspaper which soaks up the moisture and helps them dry faster.

Vivifyer

Postby Vivifyer » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:51 pm

philip wrote:My shimano cycling shoes dry fairly quickly. I actually have the side of the case of my computer at work off, and if I put my shoes half in the case where there's good circulation of warm air from the CPU fan they're dry by lunch time (what a nerd).
glad to know im not the only one :P

I put mine ontop of the computer case, that way they cop the exhaust heat from my neighbours computer, 7 hours of steady warm air drys them right out :D

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:05 pm

Supe wrote:No such thing as 'chic' in Darwin. But I would not wear sandals. At the moment, I ride a beat up MTB to work. I might just buy a couple pairs of Dunlop volleys.

Edit> Grats on 6k worth of posts. :)
Well there ya go: if sandals are not to be worn, then "not sandals" is Darwin Chic. ;)

If you're just riding a beater MTB, then get two pairs of volleys. Ride to work in one pair and ride home in the dry pair you left there the day before.

Thanks on the 6k comment - I didn't even notice I had the 6k up. :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:09 pm

Stuffing the shoes with scrunched up newspaper helps dry them out internally much quicker than air drying them. I learned that from a Scouts Leader. I tried it out - it works.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

suzieQ

Postby suzieQ » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:03 pm

I struggle with the wet shoes and socks on the way home, only place to leave them in my office is in the toilets which is freeeeezing so no chance of em drying.

On the other note I looooove commuting only problem is I'm even more impatient taking public transport because I know how much quicker it is on the bike!

Supe

Postby Supe » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:40 pm

suzieQ wrote:
On the other note I looooove commuting only problem is I'm even more impatient taking public transport because I know how much quicker it is on the bike!
Darwin public transport is horrible due to the itinerants allowed on to the bus. The smell of alcohol (putrid wine), body odour and fleshy smells along with shouting (people conduct conversation from one end of the bus to the other by yelling) and spitting.... I try not to take the bus. I have dry retched at the smell. Half the time, I think I am going to have to get in to some biffo. The bus depot at the shopping centre is a disgrace. Litter everywhere. Lots of anti-social behaviour. 1st world nation and it looks like we live in absolute squalor. On the bike, I just cruise on.

I've been on Melbourne public transport and it is bliss. Relatively clean and train stations don't look like an apocalyptic nightmare.

pickle

Re:

Postby pickle » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:06 pm

Supe wrote:How do you guys deal with wet weather and shoes? I commute to and from work and sometimes get caught in the rain. It sucks to put my feet back in wet shoes. Are there shoes that are quick dry? (forget thongs or crocs rubbish)
Ah, the advantages of being a uni student. Can get away with being barefoot most of the time :)
Data not found... brain not found more like it

ruscook

Re: How awesome is commuting?!!?!?!!

Postby ruscook » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:33 pm

I leave a spare pair of undies and socks at work in my desk drawer :shock: But if I get soaked riding in, at least there's something warm to where. Then I take the old ones home next day when I'm back on the motorbike (and can carry stuff easier)... I've also been known to put my socks on the back of the monitor (not so successful with LCD screens) and near the fan outlet of the desktop PC :D If people complain it looks like a chinese laundry I say, give a locker and decent change rooms.

I'm also lucky enough to have multiple cleated shoes and motorcycle boots, so I can dry one pair over night and use the other set next day - helps tremendously.

Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

Pax

Re:

Postby Pax » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:02 am

hartleymartin wrote:Stuffing the shoes with scrunched up newspaper helps dry them out internally much quicker than air drying them. I learned that from a Scouts Leader. I tried it out - it works.
+1 really cram them full of the paper...it does work, have done it for years :D

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:06 am

Commuting has been awesome today. I got slicker road tyres and a Brooks B67 saddle fitted. Rained heavily on me - commuting will be more awesome when I have some mudguards fitted. The old adage is true:

"The rain that comes down isn't the problem - it's the muck that flies up!"
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

RadioDog

Postby RadioDog » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:44 am

ruscook wrote:I leave a spare pair of undies and socks at work in my desk drawer :shock:
If you've forgotten to pack that pair of derps, the 'bike dept' at my work has a box full of brand new undies, socks, singlets, t-shirts, belts and even cuff links! Just replace what you've taken with a new pair ... although you just return the belts and cuff links. Oh, and the locker-room has soap, shampoo, razors and what not too. V. civilised 8 :D
"Having things organised is only for small minded people. The genius controls the chaos." - Jens Voigt

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:24 am

RadioDog wrote:V. civilised 8 :D
Indeed ...

Andrew

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:52 am

I must say that I really enjoyed commuting today in the daylight. The temperature was perfect, just enough sun and no wind! Magic.

P.S. - my first morning after daylight saving ended here in WA.
<removed by request>

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:56 pm

I enjoyed commuting home in the dark too. First night ride since daylight savings came in.

Did take me about an hour to retrieve all my rechargeable batteries from various toys they've spent the summer in though.

philip

Postby philip » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:14 pm

Today I commuted home in some crazy wind + rain today, it was a bit of an adventure. I took the short 5km route because of the rain, but still passed 2 multi-car pileups. Both were 3-5 cars which had rear-ended each other. Along the Gore-Hill freeway the traffic was bumper to bumper, I was zooming past all the cars in the dedicated bike path. It was great, I was so glad I was on my bike even in these conditions. :D :D :D :D