Panniers - anti-theft suggestions?

jillybean

Panniers - anti-theft suggestions?

Postby jillybean » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:56 pm

Have just ordered a pair of ortlieb classics and am now wondering/worrying about how best to avoid having them stolen. In some situations I guess would be able to take them with me (shopping for example) but would prefer not to have to do this if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions for security on the bike - assuming this is even an issue?

Thanks
Jill

toofat

Postby toofat » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:28 pm

judging from the number of single ortliebs I have seen for sale i would say it can be an issue (tourers using just one for commuting or shopping) probably stolen for the content and not the pannier

leave them open with nothing in or I have seen a lightweight cable used for securing an unattended laptop (back in the day when they were a rare and expensive item,) now they are becoming cheaper than a pannier

jillybean

Postby jillybean » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:17 am

Thanks toofat

I found some info on the ortlieb website that shows the usage of something similar to the laptop/computer cable with the 2009 model panniers. The ones I am getting are the old model so I won't be able to use this "made to measure" option but I should be able to come up with something similar I think.

Jill

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:22 pm

Use cable-ties to secure it. Make a few of them visible, and a few of them not visible. That way the opportunistic thief will see that he has to invest some time into removing it - slow getaway not good for a thief. Also, whilst it might not sound good, make it dirty. If it looks dirty or worn, this makes it less attractive to thieves, as they would have to clean it in order to re-sell it.

The professional thief is going to always be a problem as he'll be carrying all the tools that he needs to make off with anything.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

x8pg2qr

Postby x8pg2qr » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:38 pm

My 2¢: You have to be kidding. A pair of Ortleibs are like… $160–260? Why would you leave them on your rack? Even with cable ties… Those are really nice panniers (congratulations on buying them) which last forever (OK, years).

Having said that, the newer Ortleibs have a security wire option that owners can buy and use. So maybe some people do leave them on the bicycle.

i.e. you know your situation best, and maybe you park in safe areas for short periods of time with a guard. But if I were considering “how should I lower my chances of my Ortleibs being stolen”, then I would take them with me.

No offense meant.

ajh_ausnzcf

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:01 pm

Use the cable tie solution for situations where you'll only be a few minutes away from the bicycle eg. At the deli to get a newspaper. Otherwise always take them with you in urban/suburban Australia when locking up the bicycle, in this environment security is always a concern. Another problem is vandalism on unattended bicycles, you may find your tyres or panniers attacked with a box cutter knife. Not common but I've heard and seen a few cases. Unfortunately I think the risk is too high here.
Axles A Randonee O Noodle.

"Doc, just tell me straight ... am I going to die?"

jillybean

Postby jillybean » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm

Thanks everyone. Too much messing around to have them secured sometimes & not others (unless I can devise something more easily/quickly attached/detached than cable ties), and too risky to leave them unsecured - so looks like its going to pretty much be a "take them with me always" situation.

Jill

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:21 pm

Dont the Ortelibs have a quick release kind of attachment? Shouldnt take more than a few seconds to get them off, and get them back on again.

I know some panniers have a shoulder strap attachment so you can carry it on your shoulder.

soennecken

Postby soennecken » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:53 pm

The only sensible approach is to lock everything that can be locked, and take everything else with you.

itsaghostcar

Postby itsaghostcar » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:01 pm

My panniers are reasonably cheap, old, and tattered. If I take both, I'll carry the 'good' one with me. The duct taped one with 'drainage' holes in some areas can stay on the bike quite happily :D

If I did have Ortliebs, I'd be taking them with me

toofat

Postby toofat » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:14 pm

Jilly
Wiggle
UK based online cycle parts retailer, used by many here, have the ortlieb pannier security cable system for sale at about $18 from memory, not a bad price for peace of mind and not lugging everything around

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:55 pm

toofat wrote:Jilly
Wiggle
UK based online cycle parts retailer, used by many here, have the ortlieb pannier security cable system for sale at about $18 from memory, not a bad price for peace of mind and not lugging everything around
G'day
The securing cable which may be installed at anytime into the QL2 mounting rail means that the bags can be left on the bike without fear of casual theft. Cable as well as U-locks can be fed through the wire loop. These mechanisms can be used to lock the ORTLIEB bags, the bike helmet or the saddle against theft simultaneously. The anti-theft device is available in two sizes, allowing not only bags with the long QL2 rail (Bike-Tourer, Back-Roller, Bike-Packer, Office-Bag, Bike-Shopper, Motorcycle side bag), but also bags with the short QL2 rail (Sport-Packer, Front-Roller) to be secured against theft.
$14.23 from Wiggle plus postage.

Andrew

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:31 am

Pretty sure the Ortliebs, some models anyway, have a good shoulder strap. I'd always take them with me, if I could afford them!

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:43 pm

I had a pannier stolen in Melbourne once. The one they didn't steal was broken and tied on with elastic. Elastic is a bit harder to cut it pliers/knife, so maybe a combo of elastic and cable ties would be good...

Tale

Postby Tale » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:54 pm

I've toured many countries with a pair of red Ortlieb classics, on and off for 13 years. Used them for shopping and commuting outside of the touring.

When touring, I keep them in the tent with me at night. If I stop during the day to sightsee or go shopping, I just leave the panniers on the bike with the other gear, taking only my valuables (usually carried in my helmet). Especially outside supermarkets, I always park the bike out the front of the store in plain view, never around the side/back, and rely on the "what the hell is that?" factor. Most people, including thieves, don't know how they attach or whether they can even be removed, and they don't want to be seen hanging around a bike figuring it out, so they just leave it alone.

But when commuting or shopping locally, I never leave the panniers on the bike. I lock the bike up and take them with me. If I need to walk somewhere with the panniers, I take one of the shoulder straps and put one pannier inside the other. Generally they are never fully loaded on a commute or shopping trip unless you are returning from the shops, so there's not a lot of hassle in carrying them around.

Never had one stolen in any of these situations. I was once attacked by gypsies on a remote Romanian road, who tried to knock the panniers (and me) off the bike and somehow they stayed on and I burst through with momentum.
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

tinhorn

Re:

Postby tinhorn » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:25 pm

Tale wrote:I was once attacked by gypsies on a remote Romanian road, who tried to knock the panniers (and me) off the bike and somehow they stayed on and I burst through with momentum.
LMAO