Which Road, is steeper Norton Summit or Old Norton Summit

amt

Which Road, is steeper Norton Summit or Old Norton Summit

Postby amt » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:37 am

Which is the steeper road out of these two?

How does it compare to Montacute Road?

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:37 pm

Old Norton Summit Rd is less steep at the bottom, but steeper towards the end. Norton Summit Rd has a more consistent gradient and is a far more 'enjoyable' climb. It also has a lot less traffic, as its slightly longer.

Old Norton Summit Rd is pretty similar to Montacute Rd (easy at the bottom, hard at the top ;) )

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:48 pm

What Daniel said.

Norton Summit = 6~7% gradient, Old Norton Summit pitches to >12%. Old is shorter so drivers tend to prefer it for a direct conduit to Ashton and beyond.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:38 pm

Rode up Old Norton Summit Rd a while ago. Brother in law had been up there with some frinds a few weeks before and said "It's not too bad. Just like Belair Rd".

Fair enough, and one morning, off we went.

Had done a bit of paving the day before, so the legs were a bit sad, and even the lower parts were a bit hard this morning.

Then we got to the steep section after the hairpin.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

After I wheeze my way to Norton Summit, I look at the BIL and say "Not that steep. ????"

His reply, "Oh yeah. I forgot a had to wait several times for the guys I was riding with last time"

Bloody accountants :roll:

alltorque

Postby alltorque » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:50 pm

While we're on the subject, how does Willunga Hill compare to the likes of Montacute, Norton climbs? I live in Magill so frequent these quiet a bit and don't get out South much but hoping to give it a bash one day.

cheers,
Jason

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:17 pm

Old Willunga Hill? Steep at the bottom (maybe 9%) but quite doable... shorter too, I think it must be only 3 1/2km

bongo

Postby bongo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:18 pm

alltorque wrote:While we're on the subject, how does Willunga Hill compare to the likes of Montacute, Norton climbs? I live in Magill so frequent these quiet a bit and don't get out South much but hoping to give it a bash one day.

cheers,
Jason
Not sure on how steep but certainly much longer,check out www.hillclimbr.com they have all the stats on all the hills.Unless someone else knows of a better or more accurate site?

bongo

Postby bongo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:27 pm

rustychisel wrote:Old Willunga Hill? Steep at the bottom (maybe 9%) but quite doable... shorter too, I think it must be only 3 1/2km
I stand corrected,much shorter

SLH

Postby SLH » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:27 pm

How do these compare to the Freeway run up to Lofty? Have done Norton Summit Road, but not the old road.
Look695 & BMC SLC01.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:08 am

Willunga Hill is about 2.94km long and rises 215m, whilst the run to the Mt Lofty Lookout via Greenhill Rd is 10.7km and rises 592m.

The Lofty run via the Freeway is a bit longer, and the rise is pretty similar.

Belair Rd and Acland Hill are both about 3.5km long and rise 270m.

bepboy

Postby bepboy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:44 am

How do these compare to the start of the veloway next to the southern expressway (ie from seacombe rd up)?
-------------------------------
ego veho ergo exsisto

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:50 am

start of veloway is similar to New Norton Summit or old freeway path, I'd have thought, but much shorter.

Which is Acland Hill, Michael?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:53 pm

The start of the veloway (or Expressway Hill) is a baby at 2.3km long and rises only 127m with a couple of flat stretches in between.

Acland Hill is the the continuation of the road through Coromandel Valley and starts just before the Blacks Rd T junction. Ends at the to by the intersection of Cherry Gardens Rd.

A bit rough, but nice and quiet and bugger all traffic. About 3.4km long and rise of 200m

bepboy

Postby bepboy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:28 pm

MichaelB wrote:The start of the veloway (or Expressway Hill) is a baby at 2.3km long and rises only 127m with a couple of flat stretches in between.
Gee, it feels a lot longer and steeper - suppose its my old legs :shock:
-------------------------------
ego veho ergo exsisto

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:45 pm

bepboy wrote:
MichaelB wrote:The start of the veloway (or Expressway Hill) is a baby at 2.3km long and rises only 127m with a couple of flat stretches in between.
Gee, it feels a lot longer and steeper - suppose its my old legs :shock:
Give Greenhill Rd a go !!!

feeltherush

Postby feeltherush » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:57 pm

Live at Bridgewater and ride to work 2-3 times a week so have done all 3 a bit (eg. Norton Summit, Greenhill and Eagle on the Hill)

As said Norton Summit is the most gradual and pleasant (mind you it kicks a bit from Norton Summit over to Mt Lofty)

Eagle on the Hill is reasonable with a few good kicks.

Greenhill Rd is the mongrel... when going up to Mt Lofty from either way you end up at the same height but going up Greenhill Rd I thinks it's 3-4kms shorter than Eagle on the Hill... therefore steeper.

Went for a ride with Pat Yonker and some UniSA guys before the Challenge ride this year and was chatting to a guy has done Greenhill Road 5 times, one after the other! :shock:
"Don't Wish It Were Easier... Wish You Were Better!"

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:02 am

feeltherush wrote:
Went for a ride with Pat Yonker and some UniSA guys before the Challenge ride this year and was chatting to a guy has done Greenhill Road 5 times, one after the other! :shock:
Yeah, some people are a bit wierd :shock:

The Eagle on the Hill route to Lofty is about 2km longer (depending where you start from). It's all uphill from my place anyway.

The Greenhill Rd route has that nasty kick at the start and then is pretty constant all the way to the bus stop, and then there are a few breaks.

Best hill for going down is Willunga Hill though - reallly smooth and nice view !!!

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:40 am

MichaelB wrote:
Best hill for going down is Willunga Hill though - reallly smooth and nice view !!!
Did it for the first time ever last year!!
I've ridden up it a fair few times but never descended... last year's Grand Slam ride I was feeling naff so partner and I got to the top and I said 'stuff this', I'm turning around and going down the bloody hill.

Pretty good, about 75kmh into the main drag, but it is short. There's one section where you come round a corner and can't see the next curve since the brow of the hill makes it appear as though you're just going to jump off into the vinyards or the ocean... a trifle disconcerting I found.

amt

Postby amt » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:16 pm

thanks you I'm going to tackle this road on Saturday.

SLH

Postby SLH » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:38 pm

I'll be on my way up to the summit of Lofty along one of these routes on Sat morning. Say g'day if you see me. :)
Look695 & BMC SLC01.

amt

Postby amt » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:14 pm

sure, i say gday to everyone

bongo

Postby bongo » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:34 pm

So what is the steepest climb.Checkers Hill?

Pinarello65

Re: Which Road, is steeper Norton Summit or Old Norton Summit

Postby Pinarello65 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:45 am

How about Corkscrew Hill? It's a right turn just after the Castambul sign on Gorge Rd. The hardest part is a series of hairpins but there's a steady & increasing climb to get to that bit.

I also recently rode up Gorge Rd then went up Fox Creek Hill Rd, which looks like an avg gradient of 10% according to my Polar data. From there I carried on through Lenswood, Basket Range, Uraidla, Piccadilly & down crafers bikeway.

I live in Hyde Park & one route I've done a few times lately is Belair Rd, Belair, Blackwood, Coromandel Valley, Ackland Hill Rd which then becomes Ironbank Rd. I take a right at Morgan Rd, left into Scott Creek Rd, Longwood Rd and into Stirling. There's some really nice scenery through that last bit. Then I use Ayers Hill Rd to get back to Crafers & down the bikeway to home.

bongo

Postby bongo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:07 pm

Corkscrew is a killer,jelly legs by the top thats for sure,someone mentioned sheoak rd before the site deleted a few posts.Have only come down it and there was a sign 20% :shock: cant find much info on checkers hill,maybe someone here has the info,on a fancy cycle computer?

SLH

Postby SLH » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:00 am

Wish me luck people. Am about to head out from Somerton and attempt a double run up to Mt Lofty . No stops just ride down and go straight back up. First attempt at the double, so will be interesting.
Look695 & BMC SLC01.