Mundabiddi Forest Trail WA

cavebear2

Mundabiddi Forest Trail WA

Postby cavebear2 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Thought I'd post some piccies from my 2 trips on the Mundabiddi in '08

1st trip was with Andrew (Aushiker) in April: Mundaring to Collie 350kms offroad in 7 days
2nd trip was with Bill in Nov/Dec: Nannup to Jarrahdale 435kms offroad in 5 1/2 days, plus 170km riding on sealed roads to/from start/finish 1 day (Nannup to Collie section was just completed with the map released the week we started)

Photos here
Last edited by cavebear2 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:16 pm

nice cavebear... thanks for sharing.

makes me pine for them thar hills.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:01 pm

I know this is a bit like cheating.... but this story has just been posted on the Mundabiddi Foundation website about Bill White and myself on the Mundabiddi last December.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:05 pm

Is the trail well marked or is it better to get the maps? If you have seen them, how good are the maps?

Thanks for posting the piccies too. They are spectacular!
<removed by request>

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:28 am

casual_cyclist wrote:Is the trail well marked or is it better to get the maps? If you have seen them, how good are the maps?

Thanks for posting the piccies too. They are spectacular!
No worries. The trail is marked very well with some exceptions eg. just north & south of Dwellingup. In general the trail is easy to follow without a map. The maps are OK but aren't detailed enough for the confusing markers in these areas. The maps are OK mostly just for indicating distances. They also indicate difficulty of terrain on the profile but I often disagree with the assessment... The maps also are not good enough to plan an escape route in the event of say a bushfire or some other emergency. This is because they are only strip maps (similar to the Bibbulman Track maps)
Oh, and the maps also show touring routes so that heavily laden bikes can avoid some of the steepest sections.

L'iota

Postby L'iota » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:42 pm

I did a short (30km) ride on the Munda Biddi last November from Bidjar Ngoulin to Dwellingup. Got lost twice as I missed signs at turns or forks in the track but with the aid of the maps soon got back on course. The trail was great riding with a variety of track widths and usually a good surface. The huts like Bidjar Ngoulin are a great idea. I would really like to do a longer trip on it and then do the Collie Rail Trail.