What bike is right for me??

rhys117

What bike is right for me??

Postby rhys117 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:15 pm

ok hey guys. I'm 14yrs of age. currently riding a hardtail 9gear, shimano. I've been riding Gap Creek (brisbane) so pretty much freeride\dh. anyways I've had my hardtail SNAP on me 2times now and I've decided that its time to move on.

I'm looking for something for a intermediate rider, remembering that I'm only 14 so I cant afford everything you guys can. Looking to spend $1000-2000.

thanx for your time
Rhys

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:28 pm

Most of us can't afford bikes in that range ... though we often wind up owning them :shock: May we assume you still want an mtb? That you're going to be hard on the poor thing? Are you racing or just bashing about with your ratbag mates?

What is most important to you? My son, same age as you, loves speed.

How much suspension do you want and what are your views on disc brakes?

How's that for a start? I'll leave the answers to those who know something about mtbs :roll: While you're waiting for their bulldust disguised as sage advice, have a hunt through the forum - I reckon there've been a few threads that have discussed bikes that might suit you.

Welcome to the pack. Don't be awed by us greybeards ... most of us don't have a clue either :roll:

Richard

rhys117

Postby rhys117 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:47 pm

ok, I love speed like any kid, but also love technical riding. I dont race atm, but would like to in the future. my current hard tail has disk breaks and I love them. front suspension I like to be firm so I dont feel like I'm nosediving when I land drop offs or larger jumps. no idea on rear suspension.

think that covers it. thanx for replying so quick.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:25 pm

How big are these drop-offs you like landing? So are you talking about DH racing later?

In that price range, I'd look at the lower end Giant Reign 3 (perhaps second hand?). It's an okay FR bike, good value for money, 5.5" travel front and rear (I think ... maybe 6"?). Of course, you could do what many of your mates are doing and get an STP - they seem to be a popular HT for hucking and FR stuff. Tough and a little heavy, but built for taking the punishment only a fourteen year old can mete out! :)

Remember though, if you're breaking frames now, it could indicate you need to tighten up your technique. Otherwise you may end up breaking every bike you get your hands on.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

rhys117

Postby rhys117 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:50 am

2m drop offs. pretty sure its not my technique though, I've ridden the reign 3 and I just couldn't get used to the high seat. I've always ridden with my seat on as low as it can go (pretty much on the frame). I've ridden one norco bike and was very impressed with what it could do.

Thanx for your help so far,
Rhys

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:11 am

rhys117 wrote:I've always ridden with my seat on as low as it can go (pretty much on the frame).
Sounds like you probably want a bike like the Giant STP, which is more or less a BMX flavoured Mountain Bike. As long as you don't need to climb steep off road too much!

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:49 pm

Better get a HT then - the height of the rear end was due mainly to the fact that you've got 6" of comfy landing gear built into the bike.

Some of my mates in Kalgoorlie were doing the sort of riding you have described on their Konas and STPs. The Kona Stuff has a pretty rugged frame design, which should suit you. The STP is bullet-proof and the frames are everywhere, meaning if you snap yours, you should be able to pick up a used one cheaply to replace it.

Honestly though, a 2m drop is going to be hard on any HT frame. Have another look at the FS FR frames around - I reckon you'd be better off on one of those. Your budget (at the top end) allows you to look seriously at some pretty decent bikes.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

rhys117

Postby rhys117 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:57 pm

sorry should of mentioned, I want back suspension

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:28 pm

rhys117 wrote:sorry should of mentioned, I want back suspension
Makes it a lot harder. Probably spend minimum $1800 for full suspension. Most of the freeride dual suspension bikes are waaay out of your price bracket.

What you probably want is something like the Trek Session or the Giant Glory, but lower end Giant Reign or Trek Fuel is probably what you need to look at with the money you have.

Having a higher seat is not the worst thing ever, the geometry is designed that way to support both up and down hill riding - the dedicated freeride bikes will be absolutely appalling if you ever need to climb hills with them.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:05 pm

I was watching the mountain bike racing on SBS and not a single rider used rear suspension.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
Last edited by mikesbytes on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:17 pm

XC racers won't, just adds weight and it's not needed for the type of riding. Downhill riders will, stops from snapping the chainstays and buckling wheels while they're going insane.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:42 pm

Mike,

I'm not sure which style of racing you saw, but there are generally considered to be 4 disciplines in MTB riding: cross-country (XC), four-cross (4X), downhill (DH) and free-riding (FR).

The one shown in the Olympics and Commonwealth games is XC. Whether the riders opt for full sus or HT bikes depends very much on the course. It has to be pretty rough before they'll choose FS bikes, because HT bikes can be up to 2lb lighter for the equivalent components. Cadel Evans came from this discipline of riding.

4X racing is like BMX on steroids (ummm, maybe that's not what I meant - "Drugs are bad, HMMM?) but the riders in that often don't use FS bikes either - they use technique and outright power to take wicked looking jumps. Those guys are nuts!

DH racers usually have massive bikes with up to 10" travel in their suspension. They're aiming for all-out speed and they just plough through stuff that makes me sick just looking at it. Those guys are nuts!

FR bikes are lighter, but usually have FS. These blokes drop down cliffs and fly like winged demons. Hucking is the main activity. They get points for style as well as speed, so they want tough bikes they can toss about easily. Those guys are NUTS!

I guess my point is, it's really hard to recommend a bike for Rhyss without knowing just how nuts he is. :wink:

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

europa

Postby europa » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:02 pm

He's 14, he bypassed 'nuts' years ago (I can be that rude about the lad because my son is 14 and he makes 'nuts' look like some form of retardation - he's a soccer fullback ie, a hitman :twisted: ).

I like watching the pushbike version of trials riding - I have NO idea how they do that stuff.

Richard

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:15 pm

G'day R
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew69

Re: What bike is right for me??

Postby Andrew69 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:24 pm

rhys117 wrote:I've had my hardtail SNAP on me 2times now and I've decided that its time to move on.

Rhys
What hardtail frame did you manage to snap?

europa

Postby europa » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:29 pm

One of the joys of cycling is its simplicity ... coupled with its intricacy :D

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:53 pm

G'Day Rhys :D

Real good to hear from ya mate, this place needs more fat tyres. :wink:

I'm a hardtail nut, have been since the Mongoose VRS was out. Soooooooooo, look for a single pivot bike, it'll be lighter, stronger and simpler to maintain. It'll also teach you to ride smoother. Guaranteed extra speed there.

SBS was showing 4X and XC this morning, sweet.

Shaun

europa

Postby europa » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:41 pm

I am now about 12 hours away from facing my lad on the dirt track :shock: Up to now, I've been able to outfox the fit young git with my superior experience and rat cunning, however I suspect that when we hit the dirt trails, his youthful enthusiasm is going to counter my age and rat cunning ... seeing I've never genuinely ridden the dirt before. But that doesn't really matter, while he suspects, he has yet to learn exactly where I am !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! him :D

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:44 pm

Looking forward to the ride report with photos :twisted:

europa

Postby europa » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:50 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Looking forward to the ride report with photos :twisted:
**hysterical laughter**

rhys117

Postby rhys117 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:59 pm

post pics of frame later, but thanx for help so far, how'd u do on the track vs your son

europa

Postby europa » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:17 pm

rhys117 wrote:post pics of frame later, but thanx for help so far, how'd u do on the track vs your son
It all went well. Didn't fall off (but tried hard enough). Got good and muddy. Much fun had by all ... and he was riding his bmx so I could get him on the straights :twisted:

Richard

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:25 pm

Rhys
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhys117

Postby rhys117 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:37 pm

no its because I feel it when I go off a curb on the road or some of my landings when there a bit off.