Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:51 pm

europa wrote:You mean ... this place?
Thanks.

Andrew

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:53 pm

The worst part is, I've been trying to link straight to an image (with appropriate embarrassing comment, but it wouldn't work :? )

Richard

europa

Postby europa » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:54 pm

Looks like you've put a bit of effort into setting her up. What will you be using her for?

Oh dear, I've just spotted the close up with one of the manufacturer's tags still hanging off the seat bag :shock: She wouldn't be VERY new would she? :D

Richard

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:33 pm

europa wrote:Looks like you've put a bit of effort into setting her up. What will you be using her for?
Commuting; shopping; replacing the car as much as possible. Also hope to long-term go touring (road and MTB) so will look to be able to swap over the panniers.
Oh dear, I've just spotted the close up with one of the manufacturer's tags still hanging off the seat bag :shock: She wouldn't be VERY new would she? :D
Brand spanking new. Straight from the shop to the photo shoot.

Regards
Andrew

europa

Postby europa » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:00 pm

She'll serve you well. A search on CRX 1 should turn up some happy references :D

Richard

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:46 am

G'day

Well had my first taste of commuting this morning. Just a short 10 km training ride on local roads/bicycle path and then return on a busier road (Oceanic Drive for the locals). Nearly got cleaned up within 5 minutes of home on a local road by a woman turning right (she thought about beating me!) and then later on by a bus which decided to pull out from the kerb without indicating just as I was coming up along side at it right rear. Got the number and reported it to Transperth! :-)

I reckon I re-found my "road rage" :lol:

Also had some gear changing issues - new thread for advice on that one.

Regards
Andrew

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:26 pm

Ah, the old road rage. Good for the soul, bit hard on the hardware :? There are reasons why I stick to bike tracks - I'm bigger and quicker than the average pedestrian :twisted:

Actually, on my ride today, the pedestrians were in a particularly co-operative mood, all dogs just sat and watched me roll by and the traffic gave me plenty of room despite me taking the middle lane and trying to dive across traffic into an area that no driver would expect a cyclist to go. Oh cripes, I hope I'm not building up credit for a bad day to come :shock:

Richard

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:52 pm

Aushiker wrote:Nearly got cleaned up within 5 minutes of home on a local road by a woman turning right (she thought about beating me!)
Not uncommon. If there is no other traffic around, try positioning yourself more towards the centre of the lane. If it's busy, well, they may well try to push through just because you're smaller & slower.
and then later on by a bus which decided to pull out from the kerb without indicating just as I was coming up along side at it right rear. Got the number and reported it to Transperth! :-)
Be aware that buses have a very hard time seeing what's behind them, even cars. They're not going to be able to judge your speed well either.

I slow down before passing a stopped bus, and if I pass it, I pass well right in the lane so I can be sure I am in his mirror.

Keep your wits about you, keep out of the door zone if there are parked cars, and do your best to share the road politely. And get some practice doing emergency stops, your CRX has V brakes which can pull you up very fast, but you'll need a bit of practice in a safe environment to get used to how it handles as you stop using the front brake.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:26 pm

Bnej wrote:I slow down before passing a stopped bus, and if I pass it, I pass well right in the lane so I can be sure I am in his mirror.
G'day

Yep, which is what I did and I was watching for an indication that it was pulling out. That was my frustration. There was NO indicator indicating that the bus was about to pull out from the kerb. That is illegal and stupid and BTW the bus had just passed me so he/she knew I was there on the road or should have.

Had the bus indicated before pulling out I would have been aware of its intentions and backed off and waited, as it was I thought it was staying longer so started my passing move. Lesson learnt.

Oh BTW the lady in the car saw me, knew I was there and thought about trying to beat me ... when I was only a few metres away. She started to have a go and changed her mind just in time to avoid smacking me off the bike.

Thanks for the other advice ... all good stuff. Just need to get back into my old motorcycling defensive riding mindset. Been awhile. It was a wake up call today.

Regards
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:28 pm

europa wrote:Ah, the old road rage. Good for the soul, bit hard on the hardware :? There are reasons why I stick to bike tracks - I'm bigger and quicker than the average pedestrian :twisted: Richard
:lol: :lol: :lol: Like the thinking .... but the road is faster .... need to get my average up ... 15.7 km/h today .... just not good enough.

Andrew

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:43 pm

Take it easy, took me two years to get my 10km average from 16km/h to 25km/h. I think 16 is respectable for someone just getting onto the bike. It's a good idea to save a bit of go so you have some acceleration when you need it too. If you really poop yourself out your concentration suffers too.

You'll find 10km too short in no time at all.

OTOH at the moment I can't resist sprinting hills, after watching that Russian Hill Roulette video... ;)

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:44 pm

Aushiker wrote:Like the thinking .... but the road is faster .... need to get my average up ... 15.7 km/h today .... just not good enough.

Andrew
Don't rush it - the ave will creep up over time. If you try too hard too soon, you may end up causing strain to yourself, setting you back. Take it easy and pretend NOBODY can see you when you're riding. Half the time, you'll be right .... :(

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:59 pm

Bnej wrote:OTOH at the moment I can't resist sprinting hills, after watching that Russian Hill Roulette video... ;)
BANG goes your credibility. That guy was NUTS!

Richard

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:17 pm

europa wrote:
Bnej wrote:OTOH at the moment I can't resist sprinting hills, after watching that Russian Hill Roulette video... ;)
BANG goes your credibility. That guy was NUTS!
Richard
I'm working on it. I've also been practising whistling on the hills (like the theme from the Great Escape), just as I haul past other people in the group. My riding and whistling still both need work, but it's something to strive for. :D

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:29 pm

Well Week 2 of training now completed.

Did my first commute, Churchlands to Fremantle (~23 km, I did 25 km - had to go back for the water!) yesterday evening with the return this morning. I was carrying my laptop plus change of clothes in the panniers.

Ride out was okay, but nearly fell off after I had adjusted my left pedal and then found at the lights my foot was not too keen on releasing! Had gone from too loose to too tight. Thankfully I was heading for a fall away from the cars. Average speed 16.6 km/h which is an improvement on Week 1.

Ride home, was hell. Head wind all the bloody way. According to BOM "Strong and gusty N'ly winds." Then cause I am all head down butt up I missed the turning at the 3 km to go point .... so I end up doing another 4 km into the wind with more damn hills. Now Richard where your ears burning at this point? :-) Getting lost was not fun this morning :)

27 km at 13.6 km/h. A learning experience was this ride.

Oh dropped 2.8 kg this week, so really aren't complaining :lol:

Now off for a weekend backpack (mix of on and off-track bushwalking). Looking at doing around 30 km.

Have a fun weekend and a safe one. Enjoy your rides.

Regards
Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:38 pm

Aushiker wrote: Oh dropped 2.8 kg this week, so really aren't complaining :lol:
Excellent! I just hope it wasn't an expensive part of the bike. ;)
---------------------

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:43 pm

Aushiker wrote:Now off for a weekend backpack (mix of on and off-track bushwalking). Looking at doing around 30 km.
For those interested, photos from same now at http://aushiker.com/gallery -> Moons Crossing - Warren Campsite. Rained all weekend until we got back to the cars ... cold and wet walking and camping. Ahh well.

Regards
Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:08 pm

Looking at your shots, I believe I rode across the Moons Crossing bridge in March as part of the Great Karri Ride (100km of off-road riding in four stages). Is that down near Northcliffe - Pemberton way?

Got a nasty cramp as I bunny-hopped that little step in the foreground of your shot and had to get off for a few excruciating minutes.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:44 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Looking at your shots, I believe I rode across the Moons Crossing bridge in March as part of the Great Karri Ride (100km of off-road riding in four stages). Is that down near Northcliffe - Pemberton way?
Yes. Sounds like the same place. Was the Great Karri Ride a competitive event or just a friendly tour?
Got a nasty cramp as I bunny-hopped that little step in the foreground of your shot and had to get off for a few excruciating minutes.
Nasty.

Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:14 pm

It was a competitive event. Here's the web sitefor it. I said earlier it was four stages, however I was mistaken: it was five. There are three timed stages and two cruises between them, totalling just on 100km. Most of the ride was on fire tracks, but the last stage was single track (The Round Tuit circuit at Northcliffe). There was also a criterium the night before the main ride.

I was doing really well until the final stage, but that's where I took a wrong turn and dropped more than 10 places. I WAS in the top 10 in Vets before the start of the final stage. D'oh! :oops:

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------