Avg speed for a 1.5 hour ride after 1 month, what to aim for

svenny

Avg speed for a 1.5 hour ride after 1 month, what to aim for

Postby svenny » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:27 am

I bought a new road bike and have begun the long road back to fitness and lovin it

about what speed should I be aiming at say after a months training..at the moment Im averaging 25km ph which is thru hilly area and some flat areas...this is after about 4 rides and my weight is 90kg but Im solid not flabby and reasonably fit for 38 years of age

using a speclialized bike Aleez comp 2008 so bike is fine..and love it

Im looking at keeping my rides to about an hour and half and increaing the tempo..or should I try and fit a long haul in at some point?

or is heart rate better way to train .....?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:54 am

I don't race, I don't train, I just ride, so a grain of salt is prolly indicated about now...

Know your comfort zone and try to spend a fair bit of your rides just a little bit above it, keep it up and your body will naturally lift the bar for you. Add some variety in routes and distances to keep motivation up.

Push too hard and you'll damage something, don't push hard enough and you'll soften something.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

colafreak

Postby colafreak » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:36 am

If you're averaging 25km/h you should be trying to average 26. Get where I'm coming from?

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:37 am

This is a real "how long is a piece of string" question. Terrain, weather conditions (headwind/crosswind/tailwind/no wind) and riding solo or in a bunch, what you had for breakfast, what you did yesterday and heaps of other factors can all affect your average speed.

You could do a lot worse than follow Shaun's advice. Give it a month or two and you'll see some real improvement. I found that riding to work (15-20 minutes) going as hard as I could the whole way each direction built my fitness well, just got to work on endurance now. Try and get on bunch rides, join your local club.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

svenny

Postby svenny » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:39 am

yeah worried if I do a club social ride I will be left 2 km behind :D

thanks for advice guys

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:40 pm

Don't worry about it, everyone had to start somewhere. Our club rides are usually pretty good, someone will go back and collect you after they finish if you get dropped badly.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:46 pm

svenny wrote:yeah worried if I do a club social ride I will be left 2 km behind :D

thanks for advice guys
There are some good group rides for beginners. You can find out beforehand if a group will be suitable for you. Do a few easy group rides to get used to it and then start moving up to some faster groups. I found the group rides really helped my speed as they push you along. Getting left behind is a real incentive to go faster.
<removed by request>

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:11 pm

As said above, terrain, weather conditions(headwind/crosswind/tailwind/no wind) and riding solo or in a bunch, all ultimately affect your avg speed.

If you can keep an avg speed for the full 1.5hrs, then try and increase your avg speed from 25kmh to 30kmh. Also if you have a computer that records cadence, keep your cadence high around 80-100.

If you are keen then have a look at SST, as I have, (free plug) since starting the program setout by Alex I've made improvements to my cycling.

bouncer1979

Re:

Postby bouncer1979 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:16 pm

RobRollin wrote:As said above, terrain, weather conditions(headwind/crosswind/tailwind/no wind) and riding solo or in a bunch, all ultimately affect your avg speed.

If you can keep an avg speed for the full 1.5hrs, then try and increase your avg speed from 25kmh to 30kmh. Also if you have a computer that records cadence, keep your cadence high around 80-100.

If you are keen then have a look at SST, as I have, (free plug) since starting the program setout by Alex I've made improvements to my cycling.
What is SST?

sogood

Re: Re:

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:27 pm

bouncer1979 wrote:What is SST?
Sweet Spot Training.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

svenny

Re: Avg speed for a 1.5 hour ride after 1 month, what to aim for

Postby svenny » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:37 pm

Hi all well I'm getting there...todays 1.5 hour ride i averaged 28 km ph...doing 4 rides a week 2 1 hour rides and 2 1.5 hour rides

the one hour rides I go hell for leather and then hit the wall then try to get home alive.....the 1.5 hour rides try to stay on steady pace and sprint home

the bike is great

Im feeling great too..luvin being back on the road