Front wheel axle length

Seele

Front wheel axle length

Postby Seele » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:23 am

Situation: 27 X 1 1/4" front wheel with Sunrise quick-release Gyromaster hub.

This hub has a longer spindle which fits a fork with external distance between forkend dropouts at 110mm apart. The locknut at each end of the assembly has a spacer ring underneath which appears to be quite home-made.

Now, trying to fit it to an older fork with overall forkend dropout distance of 103mm, those spacers have to come out.

Then, the axis spindle length is a little too great so that the quick-release cannot clamp properly.

Possible solution: shorten the threaded axis spindle appropriately.

Question 1: if the spindle assembly was made for the narrower fork (as in without the spacers), the axis spindle is really somewhat too long; is shortening it a normal procedure, or should an axis spindle of correct length be substituted?

Question 2: if it is shortened then it also means that the wheel is committed to be used with a fork of that specification, no going back; is that advisable?

Question 3. I have disassembled the hub, cleaned out the dried grease which had turned into a powerful glue, re-packed with new lithium grease and reassembled, but the fork is a bit of a tight fit as the external distance between the locknuts is a whisker greater than the clearance between the dropouts. Perhaps the fork should be slightly pulled apart? (I do not have the external races set too far apart and no additional washer, apart from the keyed washer, installed.)

I would appreciate any insight, thank you!

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:11 am

One of the general rules of restoration is: Don't do anything you can't undo.

In the case of the axle, I'd start by looking for the correct length. If you can get one cheap, use the correct one. If you can get one easily, but they are horrendously expensive, assault what you have and hope they're still available when you need to go back. If they are unobtainable, thnk carefully because you are committing yourself.

As far as specifics go, I have no idea, it's out of my field (cue someone with a box of bits that'll do the job without any worry).

On question three, I'm reading that as meaning you have to spring the fork out slightly to get the wheel into the dropouts. After checking that you've done everything properly (always advisable if you put things together like I do :roll: ), don't worry about it, just spring the fork and pop it in - you won't be putting any undue pressure on something that won't like it.

Richard