TassieCycles For Sale

RobRollin

TassieCycles For Sale

Postby RobRollin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:55 pm

I wouldn't go into TassieCycles until it has changed hands.....however.....

Just heard that the buisness is for sale for $140,000, not sure that includes the lease of the building or not. Apprently the books are not up to scratch as alot of the $$$$ has gone straight into property, Harley's etc. Buisness has been on sale for awhile without any prosepcts.

Ad says "For sale leasehold business Same owner for the past 15 years. Good cash flow business, good location, owner willing to teach purchaser. Environment Friendly Business No Carbon Footprint Help people stay healthy and fit"

Tom Marius

Re: TassieCycles For Sale

Postby Tom Marius » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:11 pm

is this the one up past north hobart? if so, only been in there once, but the service was schocking. Interested in buying it Rob? :D
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:36 pm

Thats right, North Hobart/Newtrown. Service is shocking. The owner is very arrogant. Not sure that the location is that great, being out of the city, parking is difficult.

I would rather organise my own lineup of stock etc....... :wink:

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:02 pm

Would you stock up with red Colnagos Rob?

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:56 pm

New owners now, and very helpfull.

Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:20 am

are they keeping the name?
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

Jonny Rochester

Postby Jonny Rochester » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:46 pm

I went in there and had a chat to the lady. A husband and wife bought it 6 weeks ago, and they have 2 young guys doing the repairs.

I have a lot of ideas about bike shops, having run a little shop myself before. I probably should keep those ideas to myself.

They lady said she was mainly interested in kids and family bikes. If your after a high end bike, go back into Hobart to KenSelf or some place. Her words, not mine.

But if you want a new Prologo saddle, they are distributed through Apollo, so you have to go to Tassie Cycles. I am sure a new Apolla road bike would be a good thing, but you would have to do all the ground work youself and get it ordered in. Nothing in stock.

So... back to square one for that shop.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:01 pm

Thats a shame and a good thing.

Look at the other shops in Hobart and the only other shop which really caters for kids is McBains. I would never buy a bike from Kmart etc for my kid, I know how badly they are put together and the low quality frame for my reasoning I would never have my kid ride. So Tassie Cycles positioning themselves for the kids and family market is a niche market within the cycling industry.

Ken Self, Applebys, Treadlies and Cyclingp are aiming for the euro racer and MTB's. Although I have not been into Treadlies since I was 18 and Clingo was the man.

Tassie Cycles has a few problems of location, limited parking and you have to go out of the city to get to them. Treadlies has the same problem but caters for riders down past Tarrona where there is a lot of BMX'ers and free riders etc.

I would like to see Cycle Torque and Coffee in Hobart where you can meet for a latte and a ride. Although Dome make great coffees and you can find me there every Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 6am headed out with the crew.

So after all my this, I hope tha Tassie Cycles can make a niche into the market, change of name would help as well.

Jonny Rochester

Postby Jonny Rochester » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:53 pm

But I think Tassie Cycles had been reduced to kids and family bikes for quite a few years now, so nothing has changed. The stock in the shop, and brands, is the same as what Brian left. So nothing has changed. I just pitty a couple putting so much money into buying a business when I know the returns are probably not their unless you really know your stuff and can create a following. Kids bikes for christmas is not quite good enough in my mind.

Treadlies have always been more MTB focused, and they have lots of kids stuff. They stock 2 or 3 road bikes but don't realy get into it.

humpy125

Postby humpy125 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:06 pm

The thought occured to me the other day on my regular commute that a bike shop should locate it self near the bike track in Moonah. The old Ken Self location that is now Magic Cleaning Supplies would be perfect and it was originally developed as a bike shop. Also the old Tassie Cycles location is a good spot but perhaps a bit small (on the corner of Gormanston road & Hopkins street)

mathewnicholls

Postby mathewnicholls » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:55 am

I just saw yesterday that there is a new shop called 'The Bike Shop' or something along those lines just off the bike track in Derwent Park Rd. There was a big sign in the window that said it had just opened on Nov. 24th, no idea what it was like inside though... Might be worth checking out.

lmc60397

Postby lmc60397 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:06 pm

RobRollin wrote:Thats a shame and a good thing.

Look at the other shops in Hobart and the only other shop which really caters for kids is McBains. I would never buy a bike from Kmart etc for my kid, I know how badly they are put together and the low quality frame for my reasoning I would never have my kid ride. So Tassie Cycles positioning themselves for the kids and family market is a niche market within the cycling industry.

Ken Self, Applebys, Treadlies and Cyclingp are aiming for the euro racer and MTB's. Although I have not been into Treadlies since I was 18 and Clingo was the man.

Tassie Cycles has a few problems of location, limited parking and you have to go out of the city to get to them. Treadlies has the same problem but caters for riders down past Tarrona where there is a lot of BMX'ers and free riders etc.

I would like to see Cycle Torque and Coffee in Hobart where you can meet for a
latte and a ride. Although Dome make great coffees and you can find me there every Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 6am headed out with the crew.
LOL HI ROB
WAS HERE TALKING TO YOU ABOUT TIME TRIALS IN SANDFORD BACK IN AUGUST AND THAT I WAS WORKING AT CADBURY'S
Read that Tassiecycles was for sale and what you guys were saying and thought why not" SO WE BROUGHT THE SHOP" in september and am loving bikes more than Chocolate the post befor this one was in our first month and i was and still am trying to clean up the mess

So after all my this, I hope tha Tassie Cycles can make a niche into the market, change of name would help as well.
:D

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:27 pm

G'Day

Well I will stop in during the week and say g'day! Congrats on buying TassieCycles and I hope you have good trading!

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:10 pm

While you are there Rob, try to discover the performance secrets of Rocket Ross.

lmc60397

Postby lmc60397 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:44 pm

Thank you " we hope so too"
make sure you do intro your self It would be good to put a face to the name
:lol: :
RobRollin wrote:G'Day

Well I will stop in during the week and say g'day! Congrats on buying TassieCycles and I hope you have good trading!

lmc60397

Postby lmc60397 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:46 pm

master6 wrote:While you are there Rob, try to discover the performance secrets of Rocket Ross.
:shock: Rocket Ross lol :wink:

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:41 pm

Having had a sheltered upbringing I have been at a loss to understand "lol", so I asked my daughter. "lots of love" she said.
Wow, I must have more "appeal" than even I imagined; many people have been "lol"ing me.
Cant be right!
I checked wikipedia.
Back to earth I came! They are all "laughing out loud" at me.
Crawl into a hole and hide.

Back on track. Do not lol when Rocket indicates a sprint coming up! Save the oxygen; you will need it.

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:41 pm

Last edited by master6 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:43 pm

see....out of o x y...................

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:33 am

I stopped in to Tassie Cycles t say g'day unfortunately Rocket Ross wasn't available, apparently he has a full time job training his lungs...anyways. Hopefully next time he will be so I can say g'day. I have to admit I cannot remember you, but I remember the conversation!

Maybe we can organize rides from Tassie Cycles, or list you on the bike shop listing on the front page. I also have BNA brochures we might come to an arrangement to place in the shop?

Why did you stop trading Oppy's? Has another shop taken Malvern Star?

Have a good xmas, I hope trading has been good in this usually busy period!

Rob C