WOW - Brand New Forums

Chanboy

Re: WOW - Brand New Forums

Postby Chanboy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:05 am

The ProSilver Special Edition is locked to a fixed width... intentional?

(still, does look very good)

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:53 pm

Must be the luddite in me...have gone back to the original look using the 'subsilver2' style...

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:08 pm

It would be nice to have the new look with the avatars, etc on the LHS. I can't stand the old look now so I'm living with the new layout (in shades of grey rather than blue). :mrgreen:
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:28 pm

Boognoos,
I agree - my long term goal is to use this style though adjust it with the avatar positioning, improve the usability (so that it is easier to browse and distinguish between topics) plus a few custom graphics. I would set this as the default style - though still allow other custom versions.

Re the fixed width - not intentional - rather this is the standard version.
The three available options are safe bets - not too wild on the colours and a reliable - when people go out and make custom versions - you never know how clean the code it. For now - I think this is a good solution that will suit most people.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

morephyous

Postby morephyous » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Subsilver2 is great. thanks ! :lol:

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:18 pm

New look !

Haven't popped if for a while and looksey what has changed. Very nice, thanks for your good work :D

Tale

Postby Tale » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:03 am

FYI my search for a model of bike is being rejected. Posting because I think search was upgraded with the forums.
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: felt f4.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:21 pm

yep same problem I faced when searching for "Cell Bikes"

Using google is a workaround.

'cell bikes site:bicycles.net.au'

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:53 pm

One more vote for preferring the avatar on the left so am currently using subsilver2. (But otherwise I am not a huge fan.)

I like the overall style of prosilver Special Edition except for the fixed width and RHS avatar. prosilver Special Edition with LHS avatar and variable width would be great.

sharktamin

Postby sharktamin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:37 am

When using the display styles with fixed width, part of oversized images will be hidden.
One quick work around for windows environment is to hold down the Ctrl key while mouse wheeling to change your screen display size.

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:52 am

The CTRL+mouse roll, is a pretty cool tip :-). But it just changes the font size, not the screen resolution. It does mean more text can fit on the screen at once... Doesn't affect image size however.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:55 pm

Chanboy wrote:The CTRL+mouse roll, is a pretty cool tip :-). But it just changes the font size, not the screen resolution. It does mean more text can fit on the screen at once... Doesn't affect image size however.
G'day

In Firefox I now just right click and select show image. That blows the image up to full size.

Andrew

sharktamin

Postby sharktamin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:59 pm

Chanboy wrote:The CTRL+mouse roll, is a pretty cool tip :-). But it just changes the font size, not the screen resolution. It does mean more text can fit on the screen at once... Doesn't affect image size however.
Please try it chanboy. Whatever the technical term, it shows the whole image. And yes, it makes the text smaller, but it's easy for me 'cause I always have one hand on my mouse.

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:12 pm

sharktamin wrote:
Please try it chanboy. Whatever the technical term, it shows the whole image.
That, apparently, depends (probably mainly on your browser). For me it simply scales down the cropped image along with the text size.

Having to do anything to view an image that should just be automatically scaled to fit screen width seems pretty clunky and circa-1980s to me, so I'm just going back to one of the variable-width templates. (Please note this is in no way a criticism of Christopher or the forum; it's just a 'feature' of the particular template :))

Edit - definitely some browser-specific issues with this template - oversize images display very differently in IE6...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:38 pm

Yeah the pics are re-sizing in IE7, but not in Google Chrome. (bah, Google Chrome is hardly a browser anyway... except that its the fastest by a country mile... who cares if it actually works right? LOL)

So yeah, seems to work in some browsers...

but the correct solution is to size the pics correctly and set the width of the forum to variable.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:13 pm

Chanboy wrote:but the correct solution is to size the pics correctly and set the width of the forum to variable.
YES - well said. I individually resize each image I post because I know that it helps. Also - it saves on bandwidth - often 400 pixels (wide) is plenty to see an image.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA