Do roadies train on MTBs?

Ant.

Re: Do roadies train on MTBs?

Postby Ant. » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:56 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Ant. wrote:Umm, look east. I live at the base of a real kicker. Is about a 20min effort to go up it and down it and punishes the hell out of me. Right now I'm happy to MIET right on past it :D It climbs steeply, has a little descent, and another steep climb, before the final descent.
Cycle to Toodyay. I'm sure the rolling aspect of Toodyay Rd will leave your legs somewhat sore. Or up Brookton highway. Or up Kalamunda road. Or welshpool road. Basically, head east.
I have ridden up Welshpool Road on the same bike I used on the weekend. In comparison to the weekend rocky/gravelly hills, I would consider Welshpool Road a walk in the park. No comparison for me. Also riding down on a road does not compare to riding down a rocky/gravelly hill on a MTB. On to road you can coast, on the track it's work!
The Cycle to Toodyay and back would take me about 8 to 10 hours. I usually don't have that much time. Might consider it for one of my 12 week goals if it is safe to ride out there though.
Welshpool road is only a walk in the park if you make it one. I haven't ridden up it, it was just a suggestion since it leads east.

Intense is intense, regardless of the altitude, gradient or surroundings. But having said that: Haddrill Road, Brigadoon - That's a hill that can not be likened to any walking near any parks. I trust you'll be reporting back when it has been said and done 8)
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:21 pm

Ant. wrote:Intense is intense, regardless of the altitude, gradient or surroundings. But having said that: Haddrill Road, Brigadoon - That's a hill that can not be likened to any walking near any parks. I trust you'll be reporting back when it has been said and done 8)
True. If I just want intensity I could spend the morning doing Mount St repeats. However I would find that boring compared to the MTB ride on the weekend which I found a lot more fun :D
<removed by request>

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:33 am

Ant. wrote:MTB'ers pedal in circles.
That oughta clear things up :lol:
Not really, because Alex has stated that "pedaling technique" is not relevant, only power is relevant for a roadie. 8)
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.