Cell Bikes

Danielle

Cell Bikes

Postby Danielle » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:44 am

Hi all,
I'm very new to cycling and recently (2 months ago) bought a bike from Cell Bikes in Stanmore. I want to resist the urge to launch into a tirade against them here, so I'm hoping you could all give me some advice. I've had a lot of problems with the gears since I got the bike, which have caused the chain to snap once and, last night, caused the whole back gear box (I know that's not what you call it on a bike) to wrench itself off the bike! Sounds catastrophic I know. Just wondering if this is something that's easily fixed or should I be insisting on a full refund? I'm worried about riding the bike again as that's twice in two months that I've almost come off it at high speed because a part of it has broken off!

Any advice?
Thanks.

grosry

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby grosry » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:02 am

What gearing system does the bike run?
Danielle wrote: the whole back gear box (I know that's not what you call it on a bike)
The back derailleur your talking about :wink:
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place. If I quit however, it will last forever." - Lance Armstrong

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:16 am

It may or may not be faulty componentry. I believe cell use standard Sram and Shimano bits, which normally should work fine.

There are also some common rider errors that can cause these issues, the main ones being:

Cross-chaining- where you run the chain at it's most extreme angle, eg big cog at front and back.

Shifting under load.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:21 am

herzog wrote:Cross-chaining- where you run the chain at it's most extreme angle, eg big cog at front and back.
Shifting under load.
neither of which are going to ripp off a derailleur

sould like the derailleur wasnt adjusted properly and possibly ended up hitting the spokes

i've heard mixed reviews re Cell but you should have any issues getting it fixed under warranty given it's 2 months old. keep us posted
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:23 am

Cables stretch early in their service life, so it's common for gears to go out of adjustment in the first few months. A touch up adjustment is all that's typically required. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what you encountered, or at least part of it. As for breaking the chain and ripping the rear derailleur unit, I'd suggest that you review the circumstance as there are so many possibilities that relates to equipments as well as the rider.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:25 am

It would take a fair bit of force to actually snap a chain and rip off a derailleur? This sounds a bit extreme, granted, cross chaining will definitely cause additional wear to the gears and chain...

Did these things happen while tackling a big hill, in a high gear? (ie standing up and peddling with power)

Which bike model is it? Photos of the damage would be interesting...

I assume you have consulted with Cell in regards to warranty work and the such, and received some negative responses from them?

superbarok

Postby superbarok » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:28 am

i remember some guys from cell joined the forum some time ago...any comment fellas?

PAIN - this TOO will pass

Danielle

Postby Danielle » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:37 am

"The back derailleur your talking about" - thanks grosry. That's the bit I was talking about!

As to circumstances under which the chain and derailleur broke... the chain broke as I was riding up a slight incline on the harbour bridge. The derailleur broke when I was going down! I was going quite fast and went over a join in the concrete - so bit of a bump but not something that should cause that kind of damage surely! Yes to Shimano gears and no to 'cross-chaining'. I generally kept the back gears in second, only going up to third when going down hill. I rarely go to first in the front gears - they're usually in second or third.

Thanks for all your info. Gives me a clearer idea of what I'm dealing with. And for the record, Cell bikes response was resoundingly negative...

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:44 am

Ripping the RD off is uncommon and is typically related to some external factors eg. Stick jammed into the gear train or damaged hanger. It's very rare for it to happen spontaneously. As for breaking the chain, there are numerous reasons that may or may not be your doing.

A regular LBS should at least show some good will but for a low cost shop like Cell, I am not surprised that they are a tighter on these gestures. $$$ saving or service, pick one. Then there are some LBSs that is both expensive and serviceless. :roll:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:53 am

Pretty hard to tell what caused the problems even after inspecting the bike/photos, let alone just from a description... Can I ask whether the guys at Cell inspected the bike?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:54 am

for the record, I was in Cell Bike's shop a couple of weekends ago "trying on mountain bikes" The guy that served me was very helpful, and let me try and ride several bikes, he helped with correct sizing recommendations and did not try to push to close a sale with me. I had honestly indicated that I was not going to be purchasing on that day. Based on that service - I wouldn't have had a problem returning for the purchase when I am ready.

It is truly unfortunate the OP has had this negative experience. In this day and age, where products are very competitively priced, and people are in general not spending as much as previously (ie economic down turn)... its the service provided that is going to make or break many companies.

My advise to the OP, is to find out who the manager / owner is of Cell bikes, and write a detailed, but polite - formal - letter of dissatisfaction, requesting some further assistance / service from them. If nothing comes of that, either cut your losses and find a different LBS, or go down the path of consumer affairs.

Danielle

Postby Danielle » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:24 pm

[quote="Chanboy"] its the service provided that is going to make or break many companies.

I totally agree! And I really don't have anything negative to say about the sales service - in fact, it was great! It's their after sale service that I have a big problem with. I realise that the damage to the bike is unusual given how much I rode it, and how I rode it, but I wasn't given any reasonable explanation from staff the first time I had it fixed (apart from a vague reference to a 'dodgy invertor') and have been less than impressed with the attitude from management this second time.

Anyway, I really did just want to find out if derailleurs falling off is a common occurrence and how easily they can be repaired or if the bike's a write-off. Everyone's advice and info so far has been great!

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:47 pm

Danielle wrote:Anyway, I really did just want to find out if derailleurs falling off is a common occurrence and how easily they can be repaired or if the bike's a write-off. Everyone's advice and info so far has been great!
Certainly not a common occurance!

As for repair; at the least you'll need to replace the derailleur hanger (a softer metal piece that is designed to bend under strain, preventing damage to the derailleur). If the derailleur has gone into the spokes (which seems unlikely as you were going downhill, so presumably not in the largest rear sprocket), you'll probably also need to replace the derailleur and some spokes, and retrue the wheel. Then there's the possibility that the twisting force on the chainstays has damaged the frame, in which case the bike could be a writeoff...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:56 pm

Yes, after sales service & support can be an area that is often forgotten about or given a low priority by companies these days... little do they realize this is where 90% of their customer satisfaction and loyalty come from (or don't come as the case may be)

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:46 pm

I bought my commuter from Cell and have been happy with its performance (approx 11,000km's) and that of Cell Bikes. That said I haven't had any problems where the type of conversation you are having has occurred.

Might I suggest that you take it elsewhere for a second opinion on what the fault might be? Most shops will be happy to give you an opinion. You will probably have to pay if you want it in writing.

Danielle

Postby Danielle » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:00 pm

goneriding wrote:Might I suggest that you take it elsewhere for a second opinion on what the fault might be? Most shops will be happy to give you an opinion. You will probably have to pay if you want it in writing.
I was actually considering doing that before the derailleur came off last night. The gears never felt quite right (the higher gears tended to 'whirr' a lot - hard to explain). To be honest, I think I'm going to give up on it. The more I read about Cell Bikes the more I'm convinced they're selling a shoddy product and are well aware of it. Wouldn't be so bad if the owner hadn't been so rude to me! Twice!!

So... any suggestions on where I can buy a reasonably priced bike for commuting? Keeping in mind I've already tossed away $400 on Cell Bikes.

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:04 pm

Since you know your bike size and know (well somewhat) what you like, you may consider searching for 2nd hand. Keep an eye on the for sale section here, or have a look over at gumtree.com.au in the sporting section.

Otherwise I am sure some one will recommend a decent LBS. $400-$600 is the starting price for something decent if looking for new.

Edit: if you are considering spending another $400+ You may consider purchasing a decent set of gears and rear deraileur for your existing bike. (assuming the frame, brakes, wheels etc are still in good shape).

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:08 pm

Danielle wrote:So... any suggestions on where I can buy a reasonably priced bike for commuting? Keeping in mind I've already tossed away $400 on Cell Bikes.
dont give up on cell so easily. stand your ground and get it fixed under warranty or take it to consumer affairs

but for the record Stanmore Cycles is on the next block and Inner City Cycles is just up the road in glebe. there are a number of shops in surrounding 'burbs (at least 4 in newtown alone)
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:10 pm

Danielle wrote:I want to resist the urge to launch into a tirade against them here...
G'day

Thanks for choosing this approach as we tend to bin posts from new members which "launch into tirades" :)

I do hope you get your issue resolved. Have you taken the matter up with Cell Bikes? What was their response?

If you are not happy with their response you should approach your state's department of consumer protection. There was a similar case here in WA recently involving Trek which resulted in a new frame once the Department of Consumer and Employment Protection stepped in.

Regards
Andrew

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:17 pm

Danielle wrote:
goneriding wrote:Might I suggest that you take it elsewhere for a second opinion on what the fault might be? Most shops will be happy to give you an opinion. You will probably have to pay if you want it in writing.
I was actually considering doing that before the derailleur came off last night. The gears never felt quite right (the higher gears tended to 'whirr' a lot - hard to explain). To be honest, I think I'm going to give up on it. The more I read about Cell Bikes the more I'm convinced they're selling a shoddy product and are well aware of it. Wouldn't be so bad if the owner hadn't been so rude to me! Twice!!

So... any suggestions on where I can buy a reasonably priced bike for commuting? Keeping in mind I've already tossed away $400 on Cell Bikes.
If you don't have any luck with Cell, you could also consider getting a quote on having the bike repaired.
<removed by request>

Danielle

Postby Danielle » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:18 pm

Aushiker wrote:Thanks for choosing this approach as we tend to bin posts from new members which "launch into tirades" :)
And rightly so! Though I realise my attempts to be diplomatic have since gone out the window...

I have spoken to Cell and didn't really get anywhere. I admit I was angry - but I was also pretty intimidated after the way I was spoken to last time I had something fixed. I am passing it on to consumer affairs mainly because I don't see that I'll get any sort of resolution if I deal with it myself. I'm just feel a bit left in the dark as they don't seem prepared to give me any explanation as to how stuff like this happens to a 2 month old bike!

But it's good to hear that consumer affairs can have a positive impact so I'll wait and see what happens. And now I'm going to stop obsessing and get back to work.

Thanks everyone! :D

rimdriver

Postby rimdriver » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:08 pm

I've had nothing but good service when visiting cell bikes. have you taken the bike back to let them examine the problem? I've also worked in bikeshops as a mechanic, and most times things can be sorted out if you go about it in a nice way.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:27 pm

rimdriver wrote: have you taken the bike back to let them examine the problem?
G'day

I believe this was stated earlier on ...
I have spoken to Cell and didn't really get anywhere. I admit I was angry - but I was also pretty intimidated after the way I was spoken to last time I had something fixed.
Andrew

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:04 pm

the gear system and mounts on a bike are extremely basic, if your derailleur was overrunning the stop you would have noticed, if the bikeshop was at fault you should have noticed something wrong since you had the bike. If the hub ratchet was faulty and seized then that woulod cause that sort of damage. As you said you were going over a bump when it happened it may have been a freak occurrence in which you would have no cover from any one. you really need to state exactly what problems you have had with the gears and what repairs were undertaken. derailleur gears can be very confusing and difficult to someone who is very new to cycling.
having been in many bikes shops it would be of no surprise that they have ballsed the whole customer service thing up
Danielle wrote:but I wasn't given any reasonable explanation from staff the first time I had it fixed (apart from a vague reference to a 'dodgy invertor')
IMO it is always very important to that the customer understands what they are paying for, though you may not have been listening as bikes do not need to convert DC electricity to AC so I would be very doubtful that your bike has an inverter.

you really need to talk to the mechanic at the shop and have him explain in layman's terms what he thinks happened, you would then have to take this at face value until you had a second opinion from some other expert that contradicted it.
You then may be able to use this information to strike a deal with the manager as to how they could help you get back on the road as quickly and cheaply as possible. If your negotiating skills are lacking take a friend or family member with you to mediate; in a friendly manner. if you then get no help watch this movie ( http://www.momentumplanet.ca/arts-cultu ... ey-warfare )then plan your next move

Mugshot

Postby Mugshot » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:12 pm

Well the one time that i went to cell one of the floor staff was tried to sell me a frame that was to large.
1st and last business with them.