Ipswich

winona_rider

Re: Ipswich

Postby winona_rider » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:03 pm

wow! that's a big bike. no wonder it survived a 100km/hr crash!
kudos for carbon! :)

i am tempted to post this on the general forum....hmmm

MMC

Re: Ipswich 100 Ride

Postby MMC » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:26 am

good to hear positive comments on the Ipswich100 ride - on behalf of the Moggill Mt Crosby Lions Club who organised and ran the event, thanks for all the support.
All comments and suggestions for improvements welcome.
Next year is our 10th ride and Ipswich 150th anniversary - so we are thinking of a 150km ride as well as the 100 & 50km - what do you think? any takers? any comment re the Boonah to Ipswich road? we have ridden this route and are a bit worried about the traffic and some of the drivers out that way.

Moz

Postby Moz » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:34 am

150km ride would certainly get some takers. I would give it a go.

That Ipswich Boonah road was not a great idea in my opinion. Very little room on the shoulder of the road which is why the single file rule was introduced. The problem that I saw was when a faster rider wanted to go past a slower one. People will still overtake, regardless of the single file rule. With the speed of the vehicles that pass there, it seems like a dangerous place to have it.

Pax

Re: Ipswich 100 Ride

Postby Pax » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:22 pm

MMC wrote:good to hear positive comments on the Ipswich100 ride - on behalf of the Moggill Mt Crosby Lions Club who organised and ran the event, thanks for all the support.
All comments and suggestions for improvements welcome.
Next year is our 10th ride and Ipswich 150th anniversary - so we are thinking of a 150km ride as well as the 100 & 50km - what do you think? any takers? any comment re the Boonah to Ipswich road? we have ridden this route and are a bit worried about the traffic and some of the drivers out that way.
A 150 would be good.

Boonah Rd was fine I thought, good shoulders, drivers were no problem, Overtaking wasn't an issue, just look over the shoulder and time the move. I can see though from an organiser's point of view that concern re less experienced riders might mean that it wasn't the best choice...but are there many inexperienced riders doing a 100k ride?

Great day thanks for all the organising effort :D

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:27 pm

Pax

Postby Pax » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:40 pm

But wait....there's more

Me, Dave behind
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37162995@N05/3422835768/

ditto
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37162995@N05/3422835694/

So many sexy photos :roll: Hey Serge: I couldn't find you...this is why you should wear bright RED RED RED rather than the low-profile-neat -and -tidy grey that you went for!!!!!!! Can you find any photos of you mate???

RepcoMonaco

Postby RepcoMonaco » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:19 pm

Pax wrote:Hey Serge: I couldn't find you...
Here I am - http://www.flickr.com/photos/37162995@N ... 5/sizes/o/ (you and Dave are also there... I bet you were the two most often photographed riders there :D )

MMC

Postby MMC » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:03 am

there have been additional photos posted over the last few days - now about 1000 - should be most riders. The Boonah road we were refering to previously is the possible route for the 150km ride - this would be on the Ipswich - Boonah Rd from Boonah to Peak Crossing, about 20km.

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:14 pm

MMC wrote:there have been additional photos posted over the last few days - now about 1000 - should be most riders. The Boonah road we were refering to previously is the possible route for the 150km ride - this would be on the Ipswich - Boonah Rd from Boonah to Peak Crossing, about 20km.
Thanks for the extra photos. Did manage to find one of yours truly - looking suitably lost

Just a thought, next year with the proposed 150 km ride a simpler option might be to have a 50 km circuit with the option of doing 1 or 2 or 3 laps of the 50 km circuit to get the 3 distance options.
i would think this would be easier to organize than a route as far as Boonah, but if the Moggill/MtCrosby Lions are happy to organise a ride to Boonah then that would be something to look forward to.
Just try to organise it for a fine weather weekend.
The weekend before easter is usually fine weather :!: Any opinions on this from other forum members :?:

Pax

Postby Pax » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:33 am

elantra wrote:Just a thought, next year with the proposed 150 km ride a simpler option might be to have a 50 km circuit with the option of doing 1 or 2 or 3 laps of the 50 km circuit to get the 3 distance options.
i would think this would be easier to organize than a route as far as Boonah, but if the Moggill/MtCrosby Lions are happy to organise a ride to Boonah then that would be something to look forward to.
It might be easier and I certainly don't want to minimise that aspect (I realise how hard it is to organise these types of events). However a cirtuit type of ride would be much less likely to get my support.

A circuit of 50 k repeated 3 times just isn't interesting...it is only a 50k ride from my perspective, done 3 times, while other aspects (riding in a mass group & with friends) might still get me there...making all the effort to get to Ipswich just to do circuits would be a big disincentive. :cry:

Just my opinion. Fully respect the legitimate suggestion though :D

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:43 pm

Brisbane to Ipswich challenge report:

It pains me to say these things - cause I love bernie ripoll (the event organiser) and i love the ride. but I feel I have to.

We had a big police presence for the first 15ks. Which wasn't as helpful as you might think. i think this factor really spoiled the party.

So the first 15km period was painfully slow along the bike path (and road) to middle park. We had 2 cops leading us at 20km/hr on some stinky off-road motorbikes. (on the bike path!)

It made the ride bunch up painfully. I cannot count the times I heard the words "SLOWING!" screamed rather urgently and in some cases in ABSOLUTE PANIC.

This is just my opinion - and i am no safety expert - but keeping the ride that close and huddled on such a tight route was extremely dangerous. Accidents happen in bunches far more than in fields that are spread out. And low speed maneuvering is pretty complicated - and even more difficult in the presence of a bunch of riders inches in front of you and behind and in the EXTREME confines of a bike path. Low speed accidents can be just as tragic as high speed stuff. Bike paths generally follow a narrow path with fences and walls either side and (in this case) there were other bike riders to crash into as well. I had to do an emergency unclip at least twice. The cops even kept us slow when we eventually merged with genuine roads. It was ridiculous.

But then they let us go at wacol station road and we were away and the ride was great from then on.

and can i also say this: the mountain bike rider that kept cutting corners along this difficult section - the guy that when told to stop cause it was dangerous answered with, "well maybe you should catch up" - you suck. i should have said it at the time but i was trying to be "positive" and have "fun". kudos to the dude that actually had a go at you.
oh and i noticed you finished quite late. maybe your "catch up" retort needs to be refined.

Pax

Postby Pax » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:37 am

winona_rider wrote:Brisbane to Ipswich challenge report:
We had a big police presence for the first 15ks. Which wasn't as helpful as you might think. i think this factor really spoiled the party.
So the first 15km period was painfully slow along the bike path (and road) to middle park. We had 2 cops leading us at 20km/hr on some stinky off-road motorbikes. (on the bike path!).
Sounds like over kill in a big way...get any feedback from the organisers re why they felt this was necessary?
winona_rider wrote:and can i also say this: the mountain bike rider that kept cutting corners along this difficult section - the guy that when told to stop cause it was dangerous answered with, "well maybe you should catch up" - you suck. i should have said it at the time but i was trying to be "positive" and have "fun". kudos to the dude that actually had a go at you.
oh and i noticed you finished quite late. maybe your "catch up" retort needs to be refined.
w@nker

Anyway, glad that it was good for the rest of the time Winona

steely

Postby steely » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Agreed

it was very dangerous and a PIA

the Sumners rd bit was just stupid, How hard would it have been to peel of the exit before and head up the hill to Dandenong rd and the turn at the round a bout under controlled conditions. He should know as that the way he travels most weekends.

I'll let bernie know next time I see him.

As for the MTB rider, didn't see him cut corners but he was working hard to keep up along wacol st rd when I passed him.

I suffererd a bit from Redbank on, 3 days on the bike just wasn't enough :roll: Cruised the rest after being dropped by 1st and 2nd groups.

WR we must have been close for some time.

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:12 pm

yeah - we must have been close!
i finished somewhere in that first group i think...
8)