Slipstreaming whilst commuting?

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:20 am

Another way would be to slow down to the point that they decide to over-take and then you can slipstream off the back of them!
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

tier

Postby tier » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:22 pm

A better way is to just jam the breaks on hard and teach them a lesson. Drafting strangers is idiotic, childish and a no-no. It's not about ego or anything else. It's dangerous unless you know what you're doing, and if you do know what you're doing, you wouldn't do it.

Most commuters I see just leech on and wheelsuck as long as they can. If you're going to do that at least take a turn up front.

As someone else said, it's a commute, not a race. No PB's or jerseys for being first up the hill or anything else. You want to race, join a club and do so.

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:41 pm

Ordinarily I don't really have a problem with someone slipstreaming me... except the other day, this guy was stuck to my rear wheel going over the Pyrmont bridge.

I don't think they do it for the performance advantage, they do it because the guy at front (me) is creating a clear way through the pedestrians!

Knowing that you may have to swerve or slow down quickly, I think this practice is pretty dangerous.

Is there such a hand signal to indicate that you don't want someone to slipstream or just follow to closely?

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:02 pm

Chanboy wrote:Is there such a hand signal to indicate that you don't want someone to slipstream or just follow to closely?
Several, but may be difficult to perform while dodging through pedestrians :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

madrapper

Postby madrapper » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:28 pm

tier wrote:A better way is to just jam the breaks on hard and teach them a lesson. Drafting strangers is idiotic, childish and a no-no.
This post proves that complete tools can be found anywhere,... even on these forums :(:shock::evil:

<shakes head in disbelief>
Cheers,
Dave

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:35 pm

madrapper wrote:
tier wrote:A better way is to just jam the breaks on hard and teach them a lesson.
This post proves that complete tools can be found anywhere,... even on these forums :(:shock::evil:

+1!

It's the exact same human mentality that Hassan Bakr had, one that created the 50 bike pile up on Southern Cross Dr last year.

Is he now riding a bike? :shock:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:40 pm

sogood wrote:
madrapper wrote:
tier wrote:A better way is to just jam the breaks on hard and teach them a lesson.

+1!

It's the exact same human mentality that Hassan Bakr had, one that created the 50 bike pile up on Southern Cross Dr last year.

Is he now riding a bike? :shock:
Hafta be a fixed 'bent going on the beard :lol:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:33 pm

I don't have a problem doing it or having it done to me. Usually, I'll stream for 30 seconds or so to ensure it is safe to pass unless the person I am following is pushing.

It is most common on Tuesday's and Thursday's when the Olympic Park guys are on their way home after training. Some of them get along at a good pace and they are good to hang on to.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:06 am

madrapper wrote:
tier wrote:A better way is to just jam the breaks on hard and teach them a lesson. Drafting strangers is idiotic, childish and a no-no.

took the words out of my mouth, if a motorist suggested this the would be an uproar from the forumites here. The silence is deafening

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:51 am

Well, if you do jam the brakes on it's the guy behinds fault (legally) for not maintaining a safe distance in traffic. However I feel that's just poor form. Slowing down to force them to pass is nicer and sneakier.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

RadioDog

Postby RadioDog » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Chanboy wrote:Ordinarily I don't really have a problem with someone slipstreaming me... except the other day, this guy was stuck to my rear wheel going over the Pyrmont bridge.
Same here on Thursday. Guy in a yellow Tinkoff jersey on a flat-bar roadie? Think he might have been in a pair of Shimano shoes too.

He latched on at the start of the climb up the ramp on Quarter Master Road, Pyrmont and hung on up and over the bridge. I looked back at him 3 or 4 times and I got no reaction from him. With all the pedestrians on the bridge I want to know I can brake at anytime without some goose up my arse.

nitecheck

Re: Slipstreaming whilst commuting?

Postby nitecheck » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:15 am

Interesting topic…I commute - so am travelling to my schedule. If I’m short of time I’m at 100% - 90% of the time - if all is going well time wise - I like to listen to tunes & take in the view. Occasionally I get a slip streamer …who follows for a while then goes off on there own… I do not get miffed - what’s the point. If I close up on another bike & the average speed is less than mine - I let the rider know I’m passing & keep my average speed - with a knod or a hi as I pass. I really do not want to be following to closely to a bike that can out brake me when laden. It doesn’t bother me if the rider tag’s along or overtakes me later. I’m fully kitted with panniers - so am only really a “danger” to MTB’s or tired road riders (:

But I do have a question …is that when approaching on coming cyclists on paths - why do I often get a “dead stare” if I say hi or nod my head (which is a general motorcycle habit…meaning "hi & we are alike - best wishes" - or something along those lines)……

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:02 am

Dunno, but I've seen it too. The funny thing for me is, as a motorcyclist and now cyclist, I sometimes "forget" which vehicle I'm on and give the nod to cyclists when on the Triumph or (worse from their perspective) give a motorcyclist the nod, when on the CRX :lol: They really don't know what to do when you do this latter , confuses the hell out of them :roll:

Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

nitecheck

Postby nitecheck » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:43 am

ruscook wrote:Dunno, but I've seen it too. The funny thing for me is, as a motorcyclist and now cyclist, I sometimes "forget" which vehicle I'm on and give the nod to cyclists when on the Triumph or (worse from their perspective) give a motorcyclist the nod, when on the CRX :lol: They really don't know what to do when you do this latter , confuses the hell out of them :roll:

Russ
Been there....
:lol:

I'm of the opinion that you are on 2 wheels we are alike....but I still remember a ride on the Viffer to Sydney (I REALLY hate the city) - when stopped at set of lights "trapped" in traffic - lifting the visor to "chat" with a "scooterist" .....the guy went I "eyes front" & only after shouting at him (I need directions :oops: ) did he look at me & started to act "normal" .....about 4kms down the road (& 20 mins later.......) the next "scooterist" was a girl - same questions - Yes - REALLY hopeless in the inner city too :oops:
Much better reception - but as lights the turned green she rattled of a 04somthin ...number...with a "txt meeeeee" - as she happily lane split the standing traffic in front of us...me on my beasty did not have a chance in keeping up due to being to way wide to split in close quarters (would have better my bike!) ...I REALLY hate the city....
On a bright note I have a GPS unit now....so getting lost as I normally do is less likely....(I hope)

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:59 am

nitecheck wrote:But I do have a question …is that when approaching on coming cyclists on paths - why do I often get a “dead stare” if I say hi or nod my head (which is a general motorcycle habit…meaning "hi & we are alike - best wishes" - or something along those lines)……
Dunno. I have got some pretty good responses from some cyclists with a smile or a nod and even some peds too. It depends on what they are wearing :wink: The more team gear, the less likley I am to get a response. It doesn't bother me though because I figure some of those dudes are concentrating pretty hard to make sure they stay on speed and cadence. The look on their faces tell me they are concentrating pretty hard anyway.
<removed by request>

nitecheck

Postby nitecheck » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:59 am

casual_cyclist wrote:
nitecheck wrote:But I do have a question …is that when approaching on coming cyclists on paths - why do I often get a “dead stare” if I say hi or nod my head (which is a general motorcycle habit…meaning "hi & we are alike - best wishes" - or something along those lines)……
Dunno. I have got some pretty good responses from some cyclists with a smile or a nod and even some peds too. It depends on what they are wearing :wink: The more team gear, the less likley I am to get a response. It doesn't bother me though because I figure some of those dudes are concentrating pretty hard to make sure they stay on speed and cadence. The look on their faces tell me they are concentrating pretty hard anyway.
Good point ...different a agendas ....as I'm not a seriously completive cyclist - I may have different expectations regarding courtesy

Tale

Postby Tale » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:41 am

Tale wrote:
ruscook wrote:The funny thing for me is, as a motorcyclist and now cyclist, I sometimes "forget" which vehicle I'm on
The other day, I got off my bike from a commute and into my car for a shopping trip. I drove up a hill, and I felt good and strong when I reached the top, then I freewheeled down the other side ... until I realised I was in the car and hit the brake pedal.
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

munga

Re:

Postby munga » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:25 am

is it just me, or does he look like a mickey rourke impersonator in that image?

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:23 pm

nitecheck wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:Dunno. I have got some pretty good responses from some cyclists with a smile or a nod and even some peds too. It depends on what they are wearing :wink: The more team gear, the less likley I am to get a response. It doesn't bother me though because I figure some of those dudes are concentrating pretty hard to make sure they stay on speed and cadence. The look on their faces tell me they are concentrating pretty hard anyway.
Good point ...different a agendas ....as I'm not a seriously completive cyclist - I may have different expectations regarding courtesy
I get my biggest smiles from other sympathetic bike riders when I am puffing up a hill and they are coasting down the same hill :D
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Re:

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:07 pm

madrapper wrote:
This post proves that complete tools can be found anywhere,... even on these forums :( :shock: :evil:

If there are any noobs reading this, please don't try this. There is a good chance the person following you will crash into your bike which could cause significant damage to your bike and may cause you to fall off. Rather than teaching the person behind a lesson, you are likely to come out worse off.
<removed by request>

Thoglette

Re: Re:

Postby Thoglette » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:46 pm

casual_cyclist wrote: If there are any noobs reading this, please don't try this. There is a good chance the person following you will crash into your bike which could cause significant damage to your bike and may cause you to fall off. Rather than teaching the person behind a lesson, you are likely to come out worse off.
To add to that my medical bills from my last 'off' have, I think, just broken the magical $1000 figure. Zero surgery involved. And there's more to come.

The biggest single part of this was the ambulance ride at c. $600 - do make sure you have some cover for this as I went barely 10km.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

casual_cyclist

Re: Re:

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:04 pm

Thoglette wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote: If there are any noobs reading this, please don't try this. There is a good chance the person following you will crash into your bike which could cause significant damage to your bike and may cause you to fall off. Rather than teaching the person behind a lesson, you are likely to come out worse off.
To add to that my medical bills from my last 'off' have, I think, just broken the magical $1000 figure. Zero surgery involved. And there's more to come.

The biggest single part of this was the ambulance ride at c. $600 - do make sure you have some cover for this as I went barely 10km.
Thanks for pointing that out, I had not thought of that. I believe it's not that expensive but an abulance ride is!

P.S. I just looked it up in WA its $29.40 per annum Ambulance only from Medibank Private. Pretty small investment IMO
<removed by request>

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:52 pm

After the recent meeting between my shoulder and the embankment on the side of the trail, I think we'll be doing that too. Haven't got the bill yet, but I'm expecting it to be around that figure.

I too think brake testing a drafter is a bad idea. Too easy to get hit and then you both get hurt, or he gets hurt and you suffer a ripped-off rear deraileur. Better to gradually slow down and annoy them into passing you instead of being a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!. I used to brake test folks who sat on my rear when driving, but I now get a lot more satisfaction from adopting the slow and easy approach. In any case, often they're not as close as you think and then you look like a goose. And when I'm on the bike there's lest chance of being run over when it's a bus doing the drafting.

Big Jonny

Postby Big Jonny » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 pm

I think hand signals on your arse work well a thumbs up or the bird and you can tell when they know what they are doing, wave them around if you want them to take the lead or slow down so they have to, I have a mirror on the flat bar and it lets you know whats going on, a lot of the time on my route you get the suckers that wouldnt be able to go that fast if they wernt on someones wheel, Im not bothered it makes me go faster and thats a good thing.
big jonny

nitecheck

Postby nitecheck » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:27 am

trailgumby wrote: but I now get a lot more satisfaction from adopting the slow and easy approach. In any case, often they're not as close as you think and then you look like a goose. And when I'm on the bike there's lest chance of being run over when it's a bus doing the drafting.
I do this when driving or riding a motorbike now using the trick on the bike - even slowly shaving 5km/h off your speed will get impatient drivers/riders off your tail....funny enough I checked the our car's trip computer against my bike for the week - average speed was 38km/h (car)to 33km/h (bike).....interesting figures :wink:

Have you noticed when riding a bike that the trend of traffic lights seems to be to stop traffic rather than make it flow? I reguarly catch the same cars at lights unless they race the amber or they get a good straight without many lights....must be frustrating to be a jack rabbit :twisted: