Around the bay in a day?

Gregory_carroll

Around the bay in a day?

Postby Gregory_carroll » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:12 pm

Around the Bay in a Day this year - anyone else fancy it?
I am planning on doing the 210km (maybe the 250km if I can get motivated), and anti clockwise (City Queenscliff ferry Sorrento City)

Has anyone tried the 250km - would I avoid the majority of the bike traffic at the start?

Greg
Lovin the Challenge!!

raptordesigns

Re: Around the bay in a day?

Postby raptordesigns » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:54 am

Gregory_carroll wrote:Around the Bay in a Day this year - anyone else fancy it?
I am planning on doing the 210km (maybe the 250km if I can get motivated), and anti clockwise (City Queenscliff ferry Sorrento City)

Has anyone tried the 250km - would I avoid the majority of the bike traffic at the start?

Greg
Hello Greg,
I did the 250 last year. It was fun. If BV do the same as last year, they will want recumbents to start at the back of the pack if you go to the official start. You're a fast rider, so I don't recommend this option - you'll spend a looooong time trying to get through the slower riders ahead of you. I started from home and was waiting at the on ramp of the west gate bridge when they opened it along with quite a crowd. It was a fairly crowded haul over the bridge, but it all thinned out once we pulled off into Greive Pde. From that point, traffic was never a problem.

John R.

william

Postby william » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:23 pm

I've already signed up for the Sorento return. No ferry.
And I won't be starting in the rear. I nearly walked to St. Kilda before things started to move a little more smoothly. Then the queue for the ferry....an hour wasted. This time I will enjoy my lunch and ride back along a nice and scenic ride.
I've also asked BV to offer a long sleeved jersey as part of the deal for early entry. Scody have them for sale on the web site so I cannot see why they don't offer them as an option.
william.

william

Postby william » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:39 pm

WOW!
After the first day of public offering the 210 K ride via Queenscliff sold out in the first day.
If you're still interested book in for the 250 or take the options.
If this is the new trend then it may be totally booked out very early and may see record numbers.

William.

Gregory_carroll

Postby Gregory_carroll » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:43 pm

Blimey it has sold out fast. I had a change of heart and booked the Sorento ferry Queensclif way. I live nearish the beach road and am going to start at Black Rock, figured that way I'd still get to go round the bay, set off at a more sensible time (last year I left the house at 5:15 to get to the city for the 6.00 start) and avoid most of the traffic.
Lovin the Challenge!!

william

Postby william » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:11 am

I don't blame you really.
last year was my first RTB and flew the flag for recumbent riders and did the right thing.
I started at the rear and it became a pain in one.
Starting at a different location I wouldn't like to hold up the fast guys but they would be experienced enough to get around me easily but trying to get around a couple of thousand slower, inexperienced riders causes easy frustration.
Where did you start last year Greg?

william.

Gregory_carroll

Postby Gregory_carroll » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Last year I figured I'd play it by ear and start at the back if it looked like the sensible thing to do (or start where ever if it was looking tricky). As it turns out I got a bit lost getting to the start and arrived a bit late, I rolled into the pack just after the starting line I think. I have no idea if I was at the front or back or somewhere in between. I road with bunches for the first hour or so, then lost patience and took off. I caught the 10.00 ferry, and overtook heaps of people getting there. There were that many people about that I still couldn't work out where abouts I started.

This year I am going to loiter near the tower at black rock for the first of the riders to come through and then join in. There is no way I am going to wait for everyone to come past and join at the back ;-) Reckon I'd be there until lunchtime.
Lovin the Challenge!!

raptordesigns

Postby raptordesigns » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:32 pm

william wrote:I've already signed up for the Sorento return. No ferry.
I've decided to freeload this year and I'll do the Sorrento Return from home and make a donation to the Smith family to ease my conscience over ripping BV off (none of the money paid to BV goes to the Smiths, btw.)

I'll be starting from home in East Bentleigh - I'm tempted to make an adventure of it and do a night (really early morning) ride down to Sorrento (75km) in time to catch the start of the 100km Sorrento-Melbourne ride at 8am. That, realistically, means leaving home at 5am.

If anyone's interested in this latter option, let me know as it would be nice to have company in the wee small hours, both to relieve boredom and for safety in numbers/visibility. Estimated *average* rolling speed 25-27km/hr.

John R.
Soon with added maple syrup.

raptordesigns

Postby raptordesigns » Fri May 01, 2009 4:05 pm

What do you know? My "Around The Bay Freeloaders 2009" rider pack has already arrived!

:-)

william

Postby william » Tue May 05, 2009 9:46 pm

WOW!
a free ticket...
And a nice colour too. I'm not sure if freeloading would be totally correct on public road use.
You're not exactly riding with the BV group to start with and not stating you will be using their facilities on that day and diligent officials will know you are not with the group.
On the other hand that route is also part of my regular Sunday training ride and also it is a public road so if I was doing my regular ride on the same day I would not be freeloading.
Hmmm!

william.