Bicycle Queensland - Are they really representing us?

winona_rider

Bicycle Queensland - Are they really representing us?

Postby winona_rider » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:08 pm

I am pretty perplexed by Ben Wilson's comments in the courier-mail today.

Apparently he was "mis-quoted". I have sent off an email requesting a clarification of BQ policy.

I am not a member but I really WANT to join. I will keep you informed if they reply

elantra

Re: Bicycle Queensland - Are they really representing us?

Postby elantra » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:07 pm

winona_rider wrote:I am pretty perplexed by Ben Wilson's comments in the courier-mail today.

Apparently he was "mis-quoted". I have sent off an email requesting a clarification of BQ policy.

I am not a member but I really WANT to join. I will keep you informed if they reply
I have been a BQ member for many yrs, and Ben has done a fantastic amount of work for cycling in this state and australia too.
Persons in advocacy roles have to be masters of diplomacy and i think Ben is quite skilful in that regard, I know he only has the best of intentions and probably his comments have been printed out of context.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:07 pm

BQ has released a Clarification
www.bq.org.au
Bicycle Queensland: more cyclists, not more red tape
19 March 2008

Bicycle Queensland is against registration for cyclists, and in favour of removing barriers to increasing participation in cycling.

Today's Courier Mail includes quotes from Ben Wilson, Bicycle Queensland's manager, in an article with the misleading headline: "Shock call to licence cyclists".

Ben said today: "Bicycle Queensland opposes registration for cyclists. It would be a waste of taxpayer's money."

"Adult cyclists who break the law, and who also have driving licences, can be fined, and we support this."

"But what we focus on at Bicycle Queensland is getting more people cycling more often. Bike Week is about encouraging cyclists to get on their bikes."
Lets face facts the Courier Mail getting facts right is not it's strong point. It took them two years to get the name of the derailed Tilt Train right ("City of Townsville" not "Spirit of Townsville") and the printed those pictures that were clearly not Pauline Hanson (yes they are similar).

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:42 pm

ben just referred me to the website statement.

and the website statement implies that BQ actually endorses rego for bike - but just thinks it would be a waste of taxpayer's money.

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:33 am

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:33 pm

What is disappointting is that the bike shop released the results.

What is really disappointting is that the cyclists that said Yes still believe that rego pays for road :roll:

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Pax

Postby Pax » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:03 pm

I'm going to take a gamble here and say that while we can't ever risk ignoring this BUT I really don't think this will happen.

How much would it cost to establish and enforce a rego or a licence system???

How do you licence kids????

Which political party is going to tell the population which has more bikes than cars that they are going to charge them for the privelege?

Is it really enough of an issue to get the attention of (& action from) the govt??

Brisbane, our largest city by miles has just announced the city bike hire scheme...they'd put enormous pressure on the State Govt NOT to do rego or licencing becasue of its impact on the viability of the scheme.

BUT as I said we cannot afford to ignore it.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:09 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:20 am

I fully disagree with liencing of cyclists and the regristration of bicycles basicly because motorcyclists get only a little bit more respect on the road then we do and they do have to be licenced and do pay rego.
Lets face facts many lard asses on metal cages will never accept anything anything other than other lard asses in metal cages using road space. Regos and licences will not change a thing!

Donald

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:05 pm

Rego'd just about kill cycling as a simple recreation. Mum, Dad and the kids won't be going for their fortnightly pootle around the local park any more if they're paying $00s PA. From humble beginnings, champions grow.

How are the Govt (any of them) gonna make the new beaurocracy(sp) cost effective without charging big for the privelege. A whole gaggle of staff and their shiny CBD office space don't come cheap. With more bikes than cars being bought lately, VicBikes and their associate BAC is gonna be huge.

The haters always will hate. If not 'cos we don't "pay our way" then because we're sometimes slower, often faster than they are or it's the bad boy line or the fashion comments or the... Do bigots of any form need a reason to hate "THOSE DAMNED (insert evildoer of choice)!!!"?

Call me cynical, but if rego is ever required there'll be a lot of outlaws all of a sudden. I'll be one.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Max

Postby Max » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:59 am

I also disagree completely with the notion of licensing bicycle riders. I don't know about the rest of you, but riding a bike was an integral part of my childhood. I can't remember a time that I wasn't on my bike. The rest of the neighbourhood kids were the same. Licensing cyclists will, I believe, stop that altogether. A whole generation of kids won't know the joy of riding.

As a car driver, I've never received respect from other drivers because I have a license. I've been the recipient (and giver :oops: ) of road rage. Did having a license prevent that? Of course not. Same with registration. Why would having either of these things imposed on cyclists suddenly result in a change of attitude from drivers? It won't. Drivers will keep on doing what they've always done. Some will respect our rights, some will not.

We need to change attitudes. Drivers need to know, understand, and respect the laws that apply to cyclists. As a cyclist, I am permitted to use the road. As a road user, we - cyclists and drivers alike - must use the road safely. We all need to give way. We all need to stop at red lights. We all need to respect speed limits. I know this all sounds obvious, but I don't think it hurts to say it out loud from time to time.

I don't pretend to know the answer to the problem. I just think that licensing/registration isn't it.

Max

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:08 am

HERE HERE

Donald

Kojihama

Postby Kojihama » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:09 pm

I am on the "no" bandwagon... can you imagine parents having to license their 4 year old kid to learn how to ride a bike? Come on, give me a break. Secondly, don't we have more important things for our Police to do than Police bicycle licenses? I'm not sure about you guys but i'd rather having the break / enters, domestic violence etc etc being attended to.

This is also the government we're talking about... the chances of them putting all this licensing money back into tracks is unlikely.