Question#99: Pannier Rack for a MTB

Aushiker

Question#99: Pannier Rack for a MTB

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:50 pm

G'day

I currently have a set of Deuter Rack Pack II Pannier and a Tioga rack on my flatbar. What I would like to do is use the panniers on my MTB as well (Giant Boulder SE hardtail). I done a bit of a search online without much success.

My thinking is to get something a bit more robust than my Tioga rack but I don't want to spend zillions as it will not get that much use.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Andrew

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:40 pm

If you have disc brakes Giant makes a rack to suit. Otherwise you can use whichever you like - the really good ones are made by Tubus and Surly, but that's probably more than you want.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:38 pm

I used to tour on a Boulder SE without the disk brakes. The Tioga rack stood up to off road riding with a load. There is a rack available for disk brakes.

I use Tubus steel racks now, but they are expensive ($160). Blackburn aluminium racks are available and I have seen them for around $40. These are quite strong as well.

If you don't have disk brakes, the other option is to buy the rack only from a rear child seat set up. I used one of these racks for some time and was unable to break it. It was one with 3 legs into one, and not the two legged variety.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:46 pm

heavymetal wrote:I used to tour on a Boulder SE without the disk brakes. The Tioga rack stood up to off road riding with a load. There is a rack available for disk brakes.
My bike does not have disk brakes.

Your experience with the Tioga rack sounds good. I was a bit concerned about their durability, but the Deuter bags fit good so I might go with them.

Will also keep an eye out for the Blackburns. I think I paid about $37 for the Tioga rack.

Regards
Andrew

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:51 pm

The Tioga racks are quite good and reliable and I find that most brands of panniers fit them without problems. I still have one Tioga rack (I sold the rest) which is currently on the back of the tourer.

This is a disk brake rack and is fitted because it is the only one that would adjust at a weird angle to allow the large Ortlieb panniers to clear the BOB trailer.

I actually found that my last set of Tioga panniers would not fit the Tioga rack properly, but every other brand fits without problems.

Kev.

pugsly

Postby pugsly » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:58 am

I have a topeak rack on my Giant Boulder and the Deuter Rack Pack II Panniers. The rack certainly seems solid enough.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:15 am

Looks like I'm in the market for a new rack too. Riding up to the library yesterday, my pannier came off of the rack and wedged itself between the wheel and the rack leg ... which is now bent and cracked :(

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:59 pm

europa wrote:Looks like I'm in the market for a new rack too. Riding up to the library yesterday, my pannier came off of the rack and wedged itself between the wheel and the rack leg ... which is now bent and cracked :(
I'd recommend a Tubus or a Surly if you can get one. Big and heavy and made of steel :D

However I gave up on the Surly racks after waiting 9 months for them to never arrive.

Kev.