Making the most of a wet easter.

elantra

Making the most of a wet easter.

Postby elantra » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:05 pm

Easter is over for another year and hopefully none of you had your easter plans ruined by the weather or other factors.
I was driving a car from Stanthorpe to brisbane this arvo and i saw lots of bicycles - on the back of or on roof of cars.
Not surprising, considering the heavy traffic and heavy rain.
But to my astonishment there was a determined cyclist on a touring bike just near the crest of the Great dividing Range at Cunningham's Gap.
He was doing it the hard way, walking up the last steep pinch, before the crest of the range, in pouring rain and with traffic whizzing by.
I was driving in the opposite direction and pulled over long enough for him to indicate that he was OK
He was a tall middle-aged guy with a bit of an english accent, and was in charge of a moderately laden touring bike.
I hope he managed to get to a safe and comfortable destination before it got dark, whoever he is and wherever he is .

Steve

der Ungar

Re: Making the most of a wet easter.

Postby der Ungar » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:04 pm

I was driving down M Coot-tha this afternoon in the pouring rain, and on the opposite side of the road saw two very determined girls on their road bikes, slogging it up the mountain in the wet. Kudos to 'em.
I might be paranoid, but it doesn't mean that people aren't out to get me.
08 Orbea Dauphine

Max

Postby Max » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:28 am

My mum and I took a big dose of HTFU and did an 80Km trundle to Sandgate and back. Piss-poured for about 50Km of it :( She thanked me later for talking her out of doing the 100. :lol:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:24 pm

Anyone that attemps the great Divid on a main road needs a huge thumbs up.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:22 pm

I drove that same road yesturday and I saw that guy. It was on the Warick side and he was cruising down the hill in pouring rain with a bright floro yellow rain coat on.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

muggah

Postby muggah » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:50 pm

Thank god for what looks to be a relatively sunny couple of days ahead (touch wood!!) All the bike cleaning and shoe drying over the past week has taken it's toll on my sanity!!
09 EMC2 Equip Elite
10 Scott Spark 40

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:50 pm

The wet weather (and my associated piking out of riding) lost me another spot on bikejournal! I now need to put in some big days over the next week to redeem myself. Note to self - HTFU!

Max

Postby Max » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:09 pm

muggah wrote:All the bike cleaning and shoe drying over the past week has taken it's toll on my sanity!!
+1. Is there such a thing as a waterproof shoe? Or at least a shoe that dries bloody fast? Mine are still wet from Monday's ride :(

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

soc

Postby soc » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:38 am

Max wrote:
muggah wrote:All the bike cleaning and shoe drying over the past week has taken it's toll on my sanity!!
+1. Is there such a thing as a waterproof shoe? Or at least a shoe that dries bloody fast? Mine are still wet from Monday's ride :(

Max
Winona had a thread about this going earlier - I think the trick is to stuff newspaper into your shoes and it seems to dry them. Haven't tried it myself yet, but seems like a good idea.

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:32 pm

rolled up newspaper works!!

i think it was mulger bill that suggested that

Max

Postby Max » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:43 am

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go the next time my mum says "nah, you won't need your shoe covers!!!" :lol:

Max

Hoppy

Postby Hoppy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:25 pm

I was another crazy, determined biker pedaling hard in the pouring rain in Brisbane over Easter. Having just got on my bike again after a 15year break I wasn't going to let a little pelting rain stop me....Besides I enjoyed aquaplaning through the puddles...lol

I too had a problem with drenched and water filled boots but I found the solution. Because of a disability I ride in desert boots (I know it sounds crazy) so the weight I was flinging around got heavier with every puddle. Riding with puddles in my boots wasn't that good for the old joints...lol

I bought a can of spray on waterproofing agent and sprayed my riding boots after drying them out. Also I got some workman boot stone and dirt keeperer outerer things, you know the elasticised dress like things, you wear on your ankles and pull down over your boots that stop the dirt and stones filling your boots, and waterproofed those as well.

Worked a treat!

There's something invigorating, riding at speed, along bike tracks covered in water, in the pouring rain, with virtually no visibility! OR I'm nuts!...lol

:D

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:10 pm

hey hoppy:
are you pedaling in cleats/clipless pedals or on flat/platform pedals?

Hoppy

Postby Hoppy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi Winona,

I ride with ordinary boring flat pedals.... I have no muscle in my foot so I velcro my boot onto the pedal before I ride... The heal of the boot secures it from slipping forward off the pedal.

I know it sounds crazy but it works for me...

Of course, when I fall off on the left side I hit the ground hard as I can't put my foot down, but so far I have always bounced...lol

I've only come off 3 times since March, two times in the wet during Easter...OUCH...lol Lucky the ground was sodden...