Are "fun rides" value for money?

master6

Are "fun rides" value for money?

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:12 pm

I have been surprised lately by the cost of fun rides. One I looked at tonight has an entry fee of $90.00. I know that a good cause is often involved, and costs are incurred in running these events.
I am curious to know whether other people are feeling as I do?
Are we paying for some "services" attached to rides that we dont really need?
Should we look for more "DIY" rides, such as those done by the CBG group?
If I am being unduly negative, I know you will tell me. Thats OK, dont hold back.

beauyboy

Re: Are "fun rides" value for money?

Postby beauyboy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:34 pm

what fun rides are you talking about?

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:36 pm

I have found Audax Australia rides to be excellent value for money. The rides I have been on cost $10 and were very well organised.
<removed by request>

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:51 am

casual_cyclist wrote:I have found Audax Australia rides to be excellent value for money. The rides I have been on cost $10 and were very well organised.
agreed

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:19 pm

I have done two Audax rides in Brisbane. I have two reservations. Firstly they are poorly attended and secondly they start at 7am, which is my normal 2 hr mark. If they started no later than 6am and had better attendance, I would do every ride. I've just found that for a 150km ride, I get home 4 hrs later than if I'd done it alone. I am pretty sick of riding on the road alone and would very much like to be able to do more Audax rides, but getting it over with and getting home just doesn't seem possible and I really have no right to try and change it.

I do feel a renewed desire to have another gander at their site now though. Perhaps something will happen for them this winter if word gets around.

toofat

Postby toofat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:22 pm

here in the west the start times of rides have been shifted to earlier on request( was going to be too hot for a late afternoon finish) Just contact the ride co ordinator, if there are not many going shouldnt be too hard to get agreement. 2ookm rides here have started at 6 with the first hour and a bit in the dark

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:19 pm

$90 is a bit steep for a fun ride!...good cause or not.My most expensive is 66 Euro for the Etape de Tour.For that I get 170km of closed roads and full support cyclosportive style.But that is about 3 times what I would pay normally for a cyclosportive.Rallies here are 5-6 Euros...food at the start...2 food stops on course and a beer and meal afterwards.Races are 4-5 Euros.

der Ungar

Postby der Ungar » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:14 pm

Thanks, TLL, just another reason to want to move to France! Not sure the cycling culture there will ever transport itself to Queensland :(
Still, we can continue to live through your reports :)

Cheers...Michael
I might be paranoid, but it doesn't mean that people aren't out to get me.
08 Orbea Dauphine

funsta13

Postby funsta13 » Sat May 02, 2009 8:22 pm

I'm pretty new to cycling, love commuting and was keen to get my first 100+k ride in. 'Fun Rides' are a great way to do this,, but I'm not paying $90 for the privelage (Bris - Noosa).

Even the brisbane cycle week ride was too $$ imo.

master6

Postby master6 » Sun May 03, 2009 8:09 am

If you want some enjoyable rides over varying distances with people of all ages and abilities, try the Centenary Bikeways Group. This is a social cycling group of very friendly helpful people.
Google "cbg" to find them.
Tell them that the Tasqueenslander sent you.