First-aid kits

muggah

First-aid kits

Postby muggah » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:42 pm

I'm in the process of filling up the camelbak with the necessities for a day out on the trail - I've got the pump, multi-tool and spare tubes and now I need to get a basic first-aid kit together.

I'm thinking a couple of bandages, band-aids in a few different sizes, some dettol or clean wipes for washing wounds, rubber gloves, medical tape, maybe a small space blanket? anything else I should be considering? What do you carry?

I imagine the best place to go for this stuff would be the chemist - is there anywhere else worth checking out?

Thanks in advance!!
09 EMC2 Equip Elite
10 Scott Spark 40

sogood

Re: First-aid kits

Postby sogood » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:47 pm

Doesn't it depend on how remote your one day trail is? An emergency beacon might be ideal for some locations. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:52 pm

This is a good start, just add a small bottle of disinfectant/antibacterial/etc, and you're set.

http://www.paddypallin.com.au/default.a ... oduct=1223

even this would probably do: http://www.paddypallin.com.au/default.a ... &Group=407

Postman Pat

Postby Postman Pat » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:06 pm

Some Post offices have small kits in various sizes from $8.95 and up. I have the $8.95 one in my front pack it doesn't have a space blanket in it though.

muggah

Postby muggah » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:32 am

Thanks for the replies so far - keep em coming!

Sogood - no need for an emergency beacon... yet! Maybe one day :wink: Does anyone use an EPIRB or similar for their MTB journey's - I can see how they would be a VERY good idea when riding in those out of the way places.
Caelum wrote:This is a good start, just add a small bottle of disinfectant/antibacterial/etc, and you're set.

http://www.paddypallin.com.au/default.a ... oduct=1223

even this would probably do: http://www.paddypallin.com.au/default.a ... &Group=407
They look pretty good - one thing I notice they have that I forgot - scissors!

I'll probably put my own kit together as I'd guess it will work out a bit cheaper?

Postman Pat - I would have never of thought that the post office sold fist-aid kits, I'll check em out :)
09 EMC2 Equip Elite
10 Scott Spark 40

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:46 am

I think you've pretty much got it covered there. Maybe some analgesics could be handy too. Do you have the knowledge to use the kit? By which I mean, have you done some 1st aid training? It's more important to know what techniques to use than to have the gear, because with the knowledge, you can improvise to achieve the same goal using stuff you carry anyway (eg a spare tube could be used as a pressure bandage in an emergency.)

If you can carry a GPS and a Next-G phone, you should. With those you can get help to you or your patient if you can't move from the scene. It also helps if you have a catastrophic break down and need a lift home from the Dept of War and Finance.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:54 am

muggah wrote: Does anyone use an EPIRB or similar for their MTB journey's - I can see how they would be a VERY good idea when riding in those out of the way places.

I carry a SPOT GPS locator beacon, which hooks into the GEOSAT satellite telephone network to relay my GPS position.

Details here: http://findmespot.com

Costs are done on a per-year basis, at $115USD, not including the cost of the device. Works out to be about $200 cheaper than a GPS capable EPIRB/PLB.

It also has the ability to track your location at 10 minute intervals, for up to 2 weeks on a set of lithium AA batteries.

Check out my latest (car) trip down south, that i used to test the tracking facility: Here

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:20 pm

Caelum wrote:I carry a SPOT GPS locator beacon,
Cool! I like that idea. I've just bought a new EPIRB for the kayak (required by law if I go out too far) but I'll keep the SPOT in mind if I do other stuff without the legal need for an EPIRB, like travelling inland.

Does it cost money to send messages?

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:25 pm

Kalgrm wrote:
Caelum wrote:I carry a SPOT GPS locator beacon,
Cool! I like that idea. I've just bought a new EPIRB for the kayak (required by law if I go out too far) but I'll keep the SPOT in mind if I do other stuff without the legal need for an EPIRB, like travelling inland.

Does it cost money to send messages?

Cheers,
Graeme

The subscription cost includes unlimited messages.

It sends by both email and SMS, with up to 10 recipients. The smart person if they wanted more email addresses would create a mailing list, so only 1 of those spots was used by an email address, freeing the other 9 spots for SMS messages, if you so wish.

An example email of mine looks like this:
SPOT Check OK.
ESN:0-7469241
Latitude:-34.0759
Longitude:115.3886
Nearest Location:not known
Distance:not known
Time:04/12/2009 20:25:54 (Australia/Perth)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... &z=12&om=1