Saddle Upgrade - TREK 4500

filto

Saddle Upgrade - TREK 4500

Postby filto » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:34 pm

I just brought a TREK 4500 2008 model.

The main thing i read in reviews is that a saddle upgrade is a must. But the rest of the bike is great.

Just curious as to what are some of the better rated saddles from this forums perspective.
Also if anyone knows pros/cons about the TREK 4500 please let me know.

Thanks
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nobody

Re: Saddle Upgrade - TREK 4500

Postby Nobody » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:18 pm

For a hardtail MTB the most comfortable saddle is likely going to be a Brooks. I have a Flyer and I'm looking to get another or B17 (same without springs). The look of them won't suit everyone but it depends what your priorities are though.
http://www.brooksengland.com/shop/shopP ... --------42

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:26 pm

The best saddle is the one that suits a) your ar$e and b) the type of riding you do. Plenty of people will tell you to buy a brooks. If you wanna splash the cash, then go for it, apparently they are comfy as hell. My suggestion would be find a LBS that allows you to try before you buy. Same principle as buying a new bike - buy the one that feels right.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:50 pm

G'day Filto,

Welcome to the forum.

If I were you, I'd ride the bike as is for several months and work out what YOU think needs upgrading. It doesn't matter what the reviewers think, because things like saddles are a personal choice: what he thought was crap might suit you very well indeed.

Remember though, if this is your first bike for a while, any saddle will be uncomfortable. Your backside needs to get used to pressure in "unexpected places", so give it time before swapping out.

(I bought my daughter one of these Treks. She doesn't use it much, but it's a servicable bike. There are no complaints from her.)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:20 pm

Yeah all personal so hard to advise, I have the Selle Italia SLR gel flow on the road and mtb. Have just ridden my new hardtail though which came with the Fizik Gobi XM. Little early to tell, but I think I have a new favourite.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:06 pm

Brooks Flyer or B67 on a micro-adjust seat-post. Will be uncomfortable for a couple of months at worst, but after that the best ride ever. After only a couple of weeks on the B67 I feel like my bum was born to ride on it. Chances are that the $200 or so you spend on a Brooks will work out cheaper in the long run as Gel saddles generally need to be replaced after a few years once the foam starts to break down.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:11 pm

If you think a Brooks looks a little out of place on your MTB, seriously consider San Marco Regal or Rolls. They don't look quite like the latest kit, but many pro riders are still using the Regal - Boonan, McEwan. They are a serious all day saddle. I have both and they are excellent.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:14 am

An update.

Just rode about 75km on the road on my 29er with a Regal. A little too firm around the rivets for a MTB saddle, as I like to get back some times - up hills, etc. I bought it for my roady anyway. The Rolls is now on, which was the original plan as I have used the Rolls on another MTB an like it a lot. This one has Ti rails and was $122 from TotalCycling dot com. Steel rails can be had from $85 and are not much more locally.

I have tried the Fizik Gobi, by the way and they are definately a skinny person's saddle. I rode to Fernvale and back on one through the Brisbane Forest Park and had to have it surgically removed. Thin people love them. Gobi - 127mm. Rolls - 147mm, Regal - 150 mm, Brooks - from 150mm and up. There are good cheap saddles from Velo Plush around also.

Hope you find that perfect saddle soon. Good luck.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:44 pm

MountGower wrote:An update.

Just rode about 75km on the road on my 29er with a Regal. A little too firm around the rivets for a MTB saddle, as I like to get back some times - up hills, etc. I bought it for my roady anyway. The Rolls is now on, which was the original plan as I have used the Rolls on another MTB an like it a lot. This one has Ti rails and was $122 from TotalCycling dot com. Steel rails can be had from $85 and are not much more locally.

I have tried the Fizik Gobi, by the way and they are definately a skinny person's saddle. I rode to Fernvale and back on one through the Brisbane Forest Park and had to have it surgically removed. Thin people love them. Gobi - 127mm. Rolls - 147mm, Regal - 150 mm, Brooks - from 150mm and up. There are good cheap saddles from Velo Plush around also.

Hope you find that perfect saddle soon. Good luck.
good post there...

is there a site or reviews of specific saddles and what sitting bone width rider they suit?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:05 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:...is there a site or reviews of specific saddles and what sitting bone width rider they suit?
The general rule is to get a saddle at least 3cm wider than your sit bones. I stress "at least" as I have a saddle that is just 3cm wider and it feels a bit too narrow for me.

Here is a site that has reasonable short summaries of saddle application along with widths:
http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/standardsaddles.html