Niner MCR 9 - Early Pics

MountGower

Niner MCR 9 - Early Pics

Postby MountGower » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:56 pm

G'day

Couldn't wait to post these. Finished it off last night and took these pics a short while ago. Once it's in off road trim I'll post up a proper review and report on the build. Until then, here it is with a couple of test kilometers on it. So far, so good.

trailgumby

Re: Niner MCR 9 - Early Pics

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:26 pm

Noice! :lol: Love the colour, too.

Cable brakes?

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:49 pm

Thanks TG

The brakes are Avid BB7. If you look on mtbr dot com and c r c they get an amzing review. People drool and rave over them. As for hydraulic brakes, the only ones that didn't have a poor to mixed review was the Formula brakes, the users of which are all truely of one voice, also. Coincidentally the Niner Aus distributor is in the next suburb and is also the Aus distributor for Formula, so it was a very hard decision, as the prices for the Formulas were excellent. These are my first disc brakes and I did not want headaches. Whilst I was certain that the Formulas would be the goods, I held on to the extra $200 as the bike cost me around $4000 (still uncertain) and after a couple of test Ks I'm happy with them.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:41 pm

If they're 29" wheels, those discs must be huge.

Any more flex in the 29"s than a 26" wheel?

Jim

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:03 pm

G'day FG

After going with the BB7s I decided to get as much purchase as possible. 203mm front and 185mm rear. I actually had a 203mm on the rear but the curved stays on the Niner gave them <1mm clearence, hence the 185 rear. I do a lot of long climbing and long decents, so wanted to keep disc temperature down aswell. I rode it on the road today. Theoretically because you have the same hub width the wheel can't be as stiff sideways, but if it was a problem, I guess the whole 29er format would have been canned. This bike feels sensational. I can't wait for the trails to dry out.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:00 pm

Yes, I;ve heard good things too about BB7s. Hadn't noticed the disc size tho. That's some serious stopping power. I've got XT hydros on my hardtail and with the skinnies on 160mm rotors are more than enough. Anything bigger would overpower the tyre. I ran a 185mm rotor on the front of the old mongoose commuter with hayes nine hydros and I was always pretty nervous in the wet with 1.25" slicks. Too much power and not enough feel. When I changed over to the XT STI setup on the new bike I stayed with 160mm.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:07 am

Yeah, you're right, if the 29" wasnt as least as good as the 26" setups it wouldnt have made it this far. 32 spoke wheels should be nice and stiff. I guess I'm comparing 700c road wheels with lower spoke counts, which you can flex with your bare hands, let alone getting them to resist off-road riding forces.

Hope it dries out soon. Have a blast.

Jim

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:55 pm

I saw the bike in the flesh tonight.... wow.

The pics unfortunatly don't do the paint any justice... it really is a very striking colour.
Andrew

pooja84

Postby pooja84 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:26 pm

I found it quite decent. Nice colour. Keep it up.