Knees hit handlebars

gururug

Knees hit handlebars

Postby gururug » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:47 pm

Hi Guys and girls,

My LBS changed my neck from the default (110/90?) to a 60mm (they said there is no in between.

I was getting a sore neck. and it felt like I was stretching.

Now my just above my knees bumps the handle bars when i'm out of the saddle climbing.

How far are the tops of your knees from the handlebars when you are climbing out of the saddle?

Any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks in advance.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:49 pm

Your LBS changed your neck? Wow! Local Back-yard Surgeons .... :lol:

Is this a new bike bought through them? What sort of bike are you on? On MTBs, you can get stems between 60 and 90mm. There were also other things they could have done, like given you a stem with a different angle so the bars were higher.

If you're on a drop-bar, you could get different configurations of bars to suit your shape.

If you bought this bike new and through them, they sold you the wrong size frame.

Personally, I think your LBS is big on the BS and you should find a different L to call yours.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:57 pm

Go back and return it!

Stems come in steps of 1cm. 100mm being common and there certainly are 90mm and 80mm stems.

If you have to go to a 60mm stem, then I would wonder if the frame is too large for you. Hitting the bar when you stand is definitely not normal.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

gururug

Postby gururug » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:29 am

Thanks guys

Its a roadie. I bought it new off them and have had it for 6 months. I trusted them to get me a bike that fits because I was new to cycling. I guess I have no case for them to take it back if it is too small because I have been using it for 6 months?

They told me when I brought it that they would go through a lot of effort to make sure it fits but barely got me to sit on it when I bought it.

Ship! :(

gururug

Postby gururug » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:45 am

So I go back to the LBS. They say that I need my shoes for them to check the neck fit (lazy). I ask them to give me back my original stem and I will find a better LBS as after three visits they haven't even bothered to do a proper fit.

They say I shouldn't take advise from forums.

They didn't have my original stem so they gave me a PRO? brand one (70$) worth. And could be bothered swapping it so I have to do it myself.

I agree that solely taking advise from forums would be a mistake. But forum users are doing it because they want to, and have very little agenda other than to help. Which is more than I can say for this LBS at Burwood.

Looks like i'm going to have to pay for a proper fit in Sydney. Something I thought the LBS should do on the purchase of the $1900 bike.

I think they should have checked the fit of the 60mm stem before they let me leave the shop. That is only common sense. The guy (Dallas) says to me;

"If you go somewhere else they are bound to bag us" (hypocrite)

and

"I can take one look at you on the bike and tell if it is a good fit"

Why then did your shop need to fit a 60mm stem that didn't?

Thanks forum, at least I know when i'm getting stuffed around.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:40 pm

Something you haven't considered is how your body has changed. I'm assuming this fit problem is relatively recent, but even without that, my following comments still apply.

You started riding 6 months back right? If nothing else, started on road bikes then. Your body was in a particular shape at that time. Now, 6 months later, you've been riding and getting stronger and fitter and more flexible - over that six months, your bike fit will have changed because your body has.

Now that doesn't explain the attitude of the lbs. However, if the bike at new was marginal in some area eg reach, it's probable that the changes to your body have moved from marginal to incorrect ... rather than from marginal to much better (which is what we'd hope).

But regardless of all that, your body is now fitter, stronger, more flexible and for whatever reason, your bike doesn't fit. The answer is to get the fit looked at and if you have to buy new components, do it (says he staring at the spare parts on the dining room table).

You can do the fit yourself, and I'd recommend having a go at it at least and I'd suggest you start by reading this article by Peter White (all of it because the devil is in the bits you skip dammit). After you've decided you need to change some bits, take your bike and shoes and yourself to a lbs and have a chat with them. Ride the thing there so you're warmed up and have a good idea of what's hurting and what isn't.

Bike fit is a complicated and personal thing. There is as much bulldust written about it on forums as there is about cleaning chains. Ignore anything that relies on a calculator and numbers. Ignore blanket generalistions. Bike fit is about how YOU feel on THAT bike and no-one cares more about where it hurts or understands that better than yourself. Bike fit is about removing those hurts ... because there is no need for them to be there. But there is no magic bullet - some luck onto the right fit, others need some time to work it out, but it's a fascinating if frustrating journey.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:23 pm

gururug wrote:They didn't have my original stem so they gave me a PRO? brand one (70$) worth. And could be bothered swapping it so I have to do it myself.
Huh? How long ago did they change over your stem to the 60mm? You should be able to find out the brand and model of your original stem through bike brand's web site or even Google. Pro brand? No idea what that is.

Sounds like a very poor store. The term "proper fit" is being thrown around so much it's almost just a meaningless sales pitch. I'd be interested in knowing which shop it is.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:50 pm

There's nothing wrong with Pro gear - it's a Shimano-owned company. I have a Pro stem (in my spares box, 'coz I found an Alchemy one on eBay) and my computer is a Pro as well.
It is odd that they went so short, so quickly, but presumably felt that your sore back was the result of the reach to your bars being too long. It might have been better to experiment a bit.
You shouldn't be hitting your legs when your pedalling out of the saddle. The short stem will contribute to it - but your riding style probably is too. I suspect that you are leaning forward with most of your weight in front of your cranks. Try to 'stand' a bit more upright - you really want your weight over your cranks (or a bit forward) so that you are pushing straight down on your pedals. It means that your body will move around a bit, but it is more efficient. If it feels too strange, ride as naturally as you can, but work on moving your weight back away from the bars.
As well as transferring your weight more directly to the pedals, it will also open up your chest a bit and help your breathing - and get your head up so you are looking a bit further down (although it will usually be 'up' if you're out of the saddle :cry: ) the road.
Win, win really. :wink:
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

gururug

Postby gururug » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:42 pm

Thank's for all the help.

Yeah its the shimano owned PRO brand. My high pressure pump us the same brand and it sits between BBB and specialized (mid-high range)

Richard, you are right in saying that fit will change over the first 6 months of riding. Funny how they never mentioned that. Just shows how crap their service is. Seems OK with the longer one back on but I haven't ridden yet.

W ell, I don't need this 60mm stem anymore (PROMAX). Anyone want it? If not i'll save it for when i see cludence.

Thanks again all

Wanta-bike

Postby Wanta-bike » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:06 pm

i know this thread is a bit old, but just thought i'd add this bit o' info....

what size bike frame do u hav? as if its a small and it came with the "standard" 175mm cranks, perhaps shorter cranks?

when i got my roadie a couple o' months back, bike shop dude changed the stem from the original 100mm to a 80mm; original 175mm cranks to 170mm

also, dunno if the spacers on top of the headset would do much (except have th bars higher or lower of course) - but this could be worth lookin into

hope i've helped a bit

gururug

Postby gururug » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:40 pm

THanks for the additional help.

I asked about three LBSs' about shorter cranks when I got the bike. They all reckoned that 175 was ok, but they never looked at me on the bike. Personally I reckon 170 is more my size but I have never tried them and I am getting more and more used to the 175's.

60mm was way too short, I ahve gone back to the stock 90/100mm length and it seems that i'm not stretching so much now.

Sizing is such a fine art. Anyone with major sizing issues I suggest you fork out for a pro when you get a new bike. The sad thing is in 6-12 months your flexibility / confort wil have changed so you'kk probrably have to fork out and get another fit again.

I think i'd rather shop for a new car or house or get married (stress factor) then try to get a bike to fit myself correctly.