IDIOTIC RIDERS

shane2

IDIOTIC RIDERS

Postby shane2 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:00 am

This message is intended for the group of 20 to 30 riders descending Deviation Road, Carey Gully at 8:50AM Saturday morning, April 18.

As my wife approached a corner on this road in her red Forester, you approached from the opposite direction and as you rode around the corner, numerous brushed the centre line and two of you ended up completely on the opposite side of the road, in the CENTRE of our lane. My wife had to slam on her brakes and come to a complete stop. I then lent over and sat on the horn to warn the rest of you approaching idiots. Most of you were descending without any regard to oncoming traffic.

I have never seen a more moronic example of riding. Despite the long gradual descent and good visibility,many of you rode without regard to oncoming traffic let alone sensible and legal road use.

I live and ride in the Adelaide Hills and have never seen nor participated in such idiotic riding.

You should have seen how terrified my wife was, having to stop to avoid a cyclist being splattered over the bonnet.

Completely unacceptable.

hifiandmtb

Re: IDIOTIC RIDERS

Postby hifiandmtb » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:38 am

I hope those that did this read this forum. Riding on the wrong side of the road is completely stupid.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:56 am

Shouldn't be too hard to find one or two individuals from that group and get the message through. That is indeed appalling and unnecessary behavior.

Shane, any idea of a club strip or defining colour of lycra, any details possible in identifying?

bongo

Postby bongo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:09 pm

That is poo,certain groups or individuals are making it impossible for cyclists to be accepted on the road,even by other cyclists!?!What hope is there of changing mentalities when this goes on.

shane2

Postby shane2 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:44 pm

rustychisel wrote:Shouldn't be too hard to find one or two individuals from that group and get the message through. That is indeed appalling and unnecessary behavior.

Shane, any idea of a club strip or defining colour of lycra, any details possible in identifying?
Good question rusty but unfortunately I didn't think of this sort of thing at the time (too alarmed!!!!) and I remember all riders being dressed differently.

Three riders came so close to serious injury or death; so very close.

shane2

Postby shane2 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:45 pm

BTW I've informed BikeSA of this incident and this thread.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:40 pm

rustychisel wrote:
They must belong to the Temporary Australian road racing crew

shane2

Postby shane2 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:05 pm

The what?

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:13 pm

reminds me of a group of "veterans" that regularly ride around perth's cycle paths wearing fluoro yellow.
about a month ago my wife, daughter & self were riding past the new construction at the entertainment centre. the whole group of Oppys drifted over to our side of the path while they executed their left turn, around what is currently a blind turn because of construction hoardings. i was leading but could see in my rear vison mirror that both daughter in middle & wife at rear were well within the left of our lane. some deadSh@t oldie that decide no one respects them decided my daughter was in the wrong because he was over the centre mark and gave her his bell! they were clearly in the wrong & a collision very likely.

unfortunately bogans are widespread, they emulate Peter Brock in cars, depending on age on bikes either oppy or Lance Armstrong. I would guess there are quite a few wannabees in Adelaide now, they can never understand that Brock, Oppy & Armstrong left/leave their racing to closed, one way circuits.

shane2

Postby shane2 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:46 pm

I'm yet to hear who the riders were who nearly sprayed their organs over our bonnet. Adelaide is a very small place so I'm a bit surprised.

othy

Postby othy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:13 pm

shane2 wrote:I'm yet to hear who the riders were who nearly sprayed their organs over our bonnet. Adelaide is a very small place so I'm a bit surprised.
Why are you surprised? There were 1.2 million bicycle sales last year alone in Australia. What makes you think that a small bicycle forum will be able to identify who the riders are, when you can't even give a decent description of club livery.

You seem pretty intent on finding the bunch, though to what this will acheive I'm not sure. Perhaps go to bikely.com / mapmyride.com, enter the suburb, look at routes that pass through it and see if any of the group training rides that are listed intersect with your location.

I don't think you'll stir up anyone here who will disagree that cyclists should obey the road rules. Everyone involved should be thankful that no one was injured or killed, and hopefully the riders got the same scare as your wife and will proceed more carefully in the future.

Cycotic

Postby Cycotic » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:14 am

shane2 wrote:
numerous brushed the centre line and two of you ended up completely on the opposite side of the road
So out of a group of 20-30 riders, 2 of them rode dangerously. It's a bit unfair to label the whole bunch then, isn't it? It's a bit like labelling all cyclists idiots because a motorist saw one rider run a red light. (And no, I wasn't part of this bunch).

It sounds like sensible defensive driving on your wife's part. Hopefully those 2 riders have realised, thanks to your horn, how dangerous it was and will not do it again. Lesson learnt, no-one hurt, time to move on.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:03 pm

shane2 wrote:Most of you were descending without any regard to oncoming traffic.
easy with the criticism of the OP, he's already established his point... having seen some really appalling behaviour in the hills I could make a guess as to which group, but that would prove nothing, nor help.

shane2

Postby shane2 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:38 pm

Cycotic wrote:
shane2 wrote:
numerous brushed the centre line and two of you ended up completely on the opposite side of the road
So out of a group of 20-30 riders, 2 of them rode dangerously. It's a bit unfair to label the whole bunch then, isn't it? It's a bit like labelling all cyclists idiots because a motorist saw one rider run a red light. (And no, I wasn't part of this bunch).

It sounds like sensible defensive driving on your wife's part. Hopefully those 2 riders have realised, thanks to your horn, how dangerous it was and will not do it again. Lesson learnt, no-one hurt, time to move on.
So the lesson was learnt was it? What a powerful crystal ball you must own.

Rusty please pass on the details of the group you suspect; I'd' like to have a word with some of the members, particularly those who came so close to death.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:48 am

no, that would be unfair and I'd be uncomfortable with what is sheer supposition on my part.