What to wear?

snedden9485

What to wear?

Postby snedden9485 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:20 am

What do most of you MTBers wear whe riding the trails? I am looking to do some X country training in the scrub. Should i just wear my road kit (eg bibs and jersey)? Or maybe bibs and a t shirt?
Chris
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2011 Malvern Star Oppy TT9 Time Trial
2011 Giant Omnium Track
2012 Giant XTC Composite 29

Nobody

Re: What to wear?

Postby Nobody » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:38 am

Wear whatever you're happy to crash in:
Nobody wrote:Hi Trailgumby,

Just to show you that you're not the only one with recent trail "troubles". In the last three weeks I decided (foolishly it appears so far) to get back into trail riding.

1) First problem was trying to bunny hop a log at speed using platform pedals. Didn't clear the log completely so rear wheel hits log, feet slip off pedals, tail bone lands on front of saddle with the appropriate scream of pain! :oops: :( Bent seatpost bolt on clamp and so replaced seatpost.

2) I tried negotiating a short steep section with a turn at the bottom before the dry creek bed. Went to get weight behind saddle. Somehow shorts got caught on front of saddle so couldn't get weight back. Rear wheel started to lift so to avoid going OTB released brake, tried to turn at bottom, still going too fast so hit brakes again. This time went OTB and face planted. Ouch! Injured tendons in right hand by bending fingers back too far.

3) Three days ago I was riding on a wet track, came down a shallow hill onto a wooden bridge with a bit of moss growth. Tried to turn on bridge but must have been still on brakes. Front wheel washed out. Came down on hands and slid along bridge. Pinky finger on left hand folds under hand. Ouch again! :( Got up thinking all might be OK until I saw blood coming from between my fingers! :shock: :roll: Rode home on a nearby road then went to the doctor. Got X-rays next day to find pinky fractured in at least 2 places and what appears to be a small chip out of the knuckle. Two days off work.
For three weeks the only riding I'll be doing is on the trainer I'd say.

I hope this gives someone a laugh. I'll still keep trying to trail ride, just need to be more careful.
From viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13895&start=25

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:03 pm

Yeah i might do it in some old knicks i have lying around.
Chris
2011 Giant Omnium Track

thm

Postby thm » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:04 pm

Normally only wear old casual clothes, and as Nobody stated stuff that you don't mind crashing in and getting ruined. So yeah t-shirts and boardies for me. But with it getting cooler, maybe some light pants would be ideal now.

But on the trails I see loads of people in their lycras. So really whatever makes you comfortable.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:34 pm

I'd recommend not crashing, its overrated.

pooja84

Postby pooja84 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:02 pm

Ya i think roadkit will be proper. The main point is that you should feel comfortable. All The Best!!

bouncer1979

Postby bouncer1979 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:21 pm

Shorts with bike shorts underneath and a cycle top. Comfortable. Also carry a 3 litre camelback because I drink like a fish out on the trails.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:07 am

Here yer go Sneddon, enjoy.

Supertankers and Ranchsliders laugh at ground surfing. :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:03 am

mikedufty wrote:I'd recommend not crashing, its overrated.
+1. Definitely not something I'd volunteer for again. :?

+1 to the hydration pack. Bottles can get covered in spray/dust/other stuff off your wheels. In one mtb race in Wales almost half the field got taken out with dysentry. When they investigated they reailsed one of the course sections went through a sheep paddock. I guess you could say they had a crap experience. It's still a risk with hydration pack bite valves, but they're a little further out of the way and the better ones have caps avaialble.

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:22 am

I went out this morning on the trails. I wore some shorts (just long cotton shorts past the knees), an old FOX MX jersey, MX gloves and old road shoes with SPDs on. Bum didnt get too sore, but it was only a short ride. Might wear some bibs under the shorts for long rides.
Chris
2011 Giant Omnium Track