Disabled Bikers

Hoppy

Disabled Bikers

Postby Hoppy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi

I just found this forum today and now I feel I am a massive underachiever...lol CONGRATULATIONS to all who do the hard yards and manage to dodge the idiot car drivers out there!

I have a left leg that just doesn't work and fractures in two of my vertebrae so have been thrilled to hit the road again (not literally speaking) to get fit.

Started back on the bike again in late March after a 15 year rest (I like to rest a lot) and now am doing 15klms a day (pedaling distance only - no coasting) at an average speed of 25kph. I know that is probably slow for most of you, but hey I'm old, and slow is my maximum speed...lol

I apologise if I ever get in your way, but be assured, I'm pedaling as fast as I can...lol

Seeing I can only pedal with one leg, does that mean that a 100km ride for people suffering 2 good legs disease, is a 50km ride for us one legged cyclists?...lol

I'll complete 420k's for April and plan to ride at least 450k's in May.

I am so fit all of a sudden, I feel fantastic!

If you know anyone doing it tough with a disability see if they can ride a bike... I am so thrilled I started riding again! It is changing my life!

winona_rider

Re: Disabled Bikers

Postby winona_rider » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:19 pm

hi Hoppy - good to see you on the bike.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:25 pm

winona_rider wrote:hi Hoppy - good to see you on the bike.
+1 to that. Given you are riding around using one leg, I somehow doubt anyone is going to agree that you are an underachiever, as long as your out there enjoying your riding then its all good :D
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:36 pm

Hoppy wrote:Seeing I can only pedal with one leg, does that mean that a 100km ride for people suffering 2 good legs disease, is a 50km ride for us one legged cyclists?...lol
Read up on our fellow forumite Alex Simmon's writing (see Training sub-forum) and you'll get a different perspective.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Hoppy

Postby Hoppy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:26 pm

Thanks for your kind words guys.

I managed to ride 440kms my first full month in the saddle....I'm chuffed!

I also found some geared weight bench equipment in our local park, which enables you to lift a percentage of your own weight, provided by the Brisbane City Council.

Having been basically housebound for quite a few years I am stoked.

Keep pedaling guys, the old crippled guy is hot on your heals...lmao

CYA