Cheap cycle computer

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:56 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I think that geoffs has one of those garmin ones.
Michael has one of those Forerunner models. I haven't seen anyone with an Edge 305 yet.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:08 pm

I have a Vetta RT55 on my older bike, think it's a very good little unit. Newer bike has a wireless CicloSport CM413.

The CicloSport uses an O-ring to mount the bracket, which works on either the stem or handlebar. It was a bit awkward to mount with the narrow fork clearance. Have had it out in heavy rain and nothing bad happened. It has a 2 bike system so now I can get a cheaper kit to use it on the new MTB too.

I don't see myself getting any benefit from cadence, the main things I'm interested in are distance and average speed.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:35 pm

sogood wrote:
Michael has one of those Forerunner models. I haven't seen anyone with an Edge 305 yet.
Michael McK. ?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:33 am

mikesbytes wrote:
sogood wrote:
Michael McK. ?
No, Colnago Michael.

Oh, my head just ticked over. You were talking about GS. Yes, I think he has one but I have not seen the unit.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:04 am

I have a Sigma BC 1606L DTS (wireless with cadence) purchasedoff Ebay for $95. Had no problems with it and the light is handy.

Will eventually look at a HRM version, but need to geta better saddle and shoes first....

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:40 am

MichaelB wrote:Will eventually look at a HRM version, but need to geta better saddle and shoes first....
What effect do you expect the saddle and shoes to have on your HR? :roll:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:04 am

"An uncomfortable wedge of plastic inserted in certain parts of the body may have a small but significant effect on the HR of the patient" Lancet, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p 34.

:wink:
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:12 am

europa wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Will eventually look at a HRM version, but need to geta better saddle and shoes first....
What effect do you expect the saddle and shoes to have on your HR? :roll:

Richard
Wallet emptiness :wink:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:27 am

MichaelB wrote:I have a Sigma BC 1606L DTS (wireless with cadence) purchasedoff Ebay for $95. Had no problems with it and the light is handy.
How long you being using it for Michael? Any use in the rain?

Seems to be mixed reports on the wireless model.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:39 am

Aushiker wrote:
MichaelB wrote:I have a Sigma BC 1606L DTS (wireless with cadence) purchasedoff Ebay for $95. Had no problems with it and the light is handy.

Regards
Andrew
About 4 months now, but previously had a BC1206 (wired) that had been in use for 9 months (upgraded with the new bike).

Been in the rain a few times with no hassle at all.

Only issue to date is that the cadence magnet moved on the crank arm, but that is now fixed.

The size & the clarity of the display is very good.

I bought the Sigma as the budget didn't stretch to the Polar CS200cad at the time.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:57 pm

MichaelB wrote:1 About 4 months now, but previously had a BC1206 (wired) that had been in use for 9 months (upgraded with the new bike).

2 Been in the rain a few times with no hassle at all.

3 Only issue to date is that the cadence magnet moved on the crank arm, but that is now fixed.

4 The size & the clarity of the display is very good.
I've got the BC 1606L DTS too...

1 Since early March for me

2 Laughs at rain so far on the commute

3 Agreed, in my case it was the huge hollow on the rear of the crank, a bit of 2pack epxoy sorted it for good

4 Agreed again, I'm very happy with the unit overall.

Bnej, I used to think that way with the MTB, but I listened to this lot...
A cadence readout will improve distance and ave speed by letting you use the engine more efficiently.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

McPete

Postby McPete » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:06 pm

I've just remembered to give an update:
I was riding to school a few months ago, and went to change mode by pushing the button, which caused it to fly off and it was promptly run over! The lack of a locking mechanism got me!

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:30 pm

McPete wrote:I've just remembered to give an update:
I was riding to school a few months ago, and went to change mode by pushing the button, which caused it to fly off and it was promptly run over! The lack of a locking mechanism got me!
Did you have to recalibrate it afterwards? :roll:

bummer :(

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:29 pm

Well took the plunge today and ordered the Sigma BS 1606L wired with cadence from Phantom Cycles.

Will let you all know how it goes for sure.

Thanks for all the advice.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

Matty

Postby Matty » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:05 pm

McPete wrote:I've just remembered to give an update:
Damn, that sucks. At least you have an excuse to upgrade :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:42 am

MichaelB wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Regards
Andrew
About 4 months now, but previously had a BC1206 (wired) that had been in use for 9 months (upgraded with the new bike).

Only issue to date is that the cadence magnet moved on the crank arm, but that is now fixed.

I bought the Sigma as the budget didn't stretch to the Polar CS200cad at the time.
Hmmm. Cleaned the bike on Saturday im prep for ride on Sunday.

Speed sensor unit decides that it doesn't like working anymore. :x Worked fine last ride. Changed battery and fiddled, but seems to be dead.

See how Ebay warranty works .... :roll:

thm

Postby thm » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:51 pm

Not sure how many people know about this. Probably most. But Cell Bikes has a special Le Tour edition of the Sigma 1106. Its RED!!! I've got a standard grey one and they are a great budget computer. Thats if you don't care about cadence. 8) Plus its only $29.

McPete

Postby McPete » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:42 pm

...Red? EEEp. *looks*

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:50 am

MichaelB wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
Aushiker wrote: How long you being using it for Michael? Any use in the rain?

Regards
Andrew

Hmmm. Cleaned the bike on Saturday im prep for ride on Sunday.

Speed sensor unit decides that it doesn't like working anymore. :x Worked fine last ride. Changed battery and fiddled, but seems to be dead.

See how Ebay warranty works .... :roll:
Time for a bit of an update : Contacted Sigma Sport via the web and got a phone call from the agent in Melbourne that day !!! Said "send it over, and we'll look at it". Cool.

Anyway, it seems like it was a bit waterlogged as it is now OK, so will see what happens in the near future before sending it off.

tuco

Postby tuco » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:40 pm

Sigma BC 1606L DTS (wireless with cadence)

Has any had any of the parts fall of the bike? They're only held on with rubber bands. :shock:

I installed one to someone's bike and got into my bits box and grabbed a few cable ties to add to the cadence sensor and the display unit. Still haven't found a way to cable tie the speed sensor on but I'm working on that.

Also, the speed sensor keeps moving and eventually hits the magnet. I've tried double sided tape and a hot glue gun but nothing seems to stick to the rubber pad on the speed sensor unit. My next step is to use magic which I'm not real good with only being a novice.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:00 pm

I'm thinking about getting a Garmin Forerunner or Edge 205. I didn't like the idea at first, but the more I look at it the sexier it is.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:13 pm

tuco wrote:Sigma BC 1606L DTS (wireless with cadence)

Has any had any of the parts fall of the bike? They're only held on with rubber bands. :shock:

I installed one to someone's bike and got into my bits box and grabbed a few cable ties to add to the cadence sensor and the display unit. Still haven't found a way to cable tie the speed sensor on but I'm working on that.

Also, the speed sensor keeps moving and eventually hits the magnet. I've tried double sided tape and a hot glue gun but nothing seems to stick to the rubber pad on the speed sensor unit. My next step is to use magic which I'm not real good with only being a novice.
Agreed there with the cadence sender and head unit Tuco.
It was bloody hard getting enough stretch for the speed sensor and yes it did move about till I wrapped some old tube around the fork leg, seems the rubber to pad contact works (for now.)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Matty

Postby Matty » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:29 pm

I just got my Sigma 1606L and just have a quick question.

With the cadence magnet, on one page of the manual it shows two different sizes for it. One a thinner one and another a thicker one. I was wondering if you guys got both the thin and thick magnet or a little riser for it?

Also what's the small thin rectangular piece of plastic for?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:59 am

Matty wrote:I just got my Sigma 1606L and just have a quick question.

With the cadence magnet, on one page of the manual it shows two different sizes for it. One a thinner one and another a thicker one. I was wondering if you guys got both the thin and thick magnet or a little riser for it?

I got one magnet and a small plastic riser. Haven't used the riser, but needed to put some tape on the crank to stop it moving.

Re Tuco's Q : Yes, I have had one band break, but that was becuase I tried to adjust the speed sensor on the fly and it contacted the magnet. Other than that - no.

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:59 am

Matty wrote:I just got my Sigma 1606L and just have a quick question.

Hi Matty,

Who reads manuals?

The package I opened had two magnets, one for the speed sensor (thin one) and one for the cadence (thick one). No separate riser for it. The larger one appeared to already be mounted on a little 10mm (?) square block. Actually you just reminded me I still have work to do on the install I did. The crank was hollow at the back and the magnet is a little floppy.

The small thin rectangular piece of plastic is used to open the battery cover on the cadence and or speed sensor. The two pins match up with two holes on the battery covers.