Carry stuff to get you out of trouble!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Carry stuff to get you out of trouble!

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:42 pm

I thought the 700 was a nominal diameter of wheel and tyre, just as 26" is for MTB.

The x 35 relates to tyre width at the widest part. Your tubes are a little big for comfort IMO.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

NotTim

Postby NotTim » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:38 am

DaNmAn wrote:Just on the subject of being prepared, I got some c02 cylinders to compliment my mini hand pump today.

I also got a new tube so I can take 2 out with me.

When I got home, I realised that it is a 700x35/43, mine uses a 700x32. Does this mean this tube is too big?

Also, I know the 700 stands for cubic centimeters of air in the tyre yeah ? but what does the 32 mean ?

Thanks in advance - Im a commuter newbie, used to just be 26x2 on the mtb
Have a read on what Sheldon has to say about the matter,

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

but the basic summary is that the 700 is the size of the wheel, it refers to the outside diameter of the tyre, this obviously will change depending on the tyre, but the standard 700 wheel has a rim 622mm in diameter, The 32 is the width of the tyre in mm.

Your tube is technically a little big, but it will probably do the job and get you out of trouble.

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:52 am

DaNmAn wrote:I also got a new tube so I can take 2 out with me.

When I got home, I realised that it is a 700x35/43, mine uses a 700x32. Does this mean this tube is too big?
Assuming you haven't fitted it, I'd be taking it back to the shop and asking to swap it for the correct size. Worst they can do is say no... ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

nitecheck

Postby nitecheck » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:51 am

Phillip - u did the right thing….hopefully if u ever need assistance a fellow rider will be so accommodating ..another :D from me....

Although I carry everything I need (now) to keep the bike on the road during a mishap - short of a heart attack :P - - I really appreciate other riders asking if I am ok & do I need a hand? I always thank them for the offer & assure them that all is well. Only once after 3 flats in 1 trip & having run out of tubes at 1am in the morning - did I have to walk pushing the bike 14km to home …… since then I have added a patch kit to my breakdown pack. It was a one off....but I learnt a valuable lesson....patches may not be inconvienient to use on the road ....but I wished for a patch kit each & every km I had to walk..... :oops:

provoked

Postby provoked » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:52 pm

I bought my first C02 kit this week, so I've finally removed that damned pump from my frame. It was noisy, and chipped the paint off my new bike! :x

Ended buying a Giant Kit containing a puncture repair kit, two C02 bottles and the nozzle attachment, in a nice pouch. Altitude has them for $35 atm (Elizabeth St) if anyones interested.
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton

noload

Postby noload » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:49 pm

That's true the streets are unpredictable anything could happen with your tires or bike when you're commuting be sure to have your tools. Safety first guys. :mrgreen:

DaNmAn

Postby DaNmAn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:47 pm

After 2 flats in a week - I got my bike some inner tube slime - now I just carry Co2 and a pump.

If I have a gash that renders the tube useless, chances are it has also rendered the tire useless so no getting out of that one unless I carry a spare tire.

I have a good support team/wife/family so vehicular help is usually only 20 or so minutes away max.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:04 pm

Park Tools makes a patch for bike tyres, something to at least get you home if that plastic $5 note doesn't work. I've just ordered one, never used the patch before.

I commute 25km each way, mostly along a busy cycleway all the way into Perth. Hazards are generally most often after a winter storm or every weekend, the latter being glass deliberately smashed across paths, most often near a bridge or underpass. I also have to cycle along the nightclub strip in the CBD so I see lots of glass there. Obviously I also see a few fellow cyclists walking or dealing with flats. The rule is to check if they have the tool bag, pump and bits, if so I ask if they need help; if they are carrying nothing I don't stop or ask. They have to learn. And I'd rather help someone who has at least tried to be self-sufficient even if they haven't got down the intricacies of how to remove a stubborn tyre, getting the patch to stick or how to avoid pinch-flatting when putting it all back together. Tools then help, no tools then don't, Harsh But Fair.

Since my commute is heavy I ride with Conti Gatorskin tyres or the like, have a good all-weather pump, a tool bag with glued and glueless patches, a few patches in the larger size for the inside of tyres, tyre levers (including one steel-reinforced), multitool, spoke key, oil, tissues or wipes from KFC, spare tubes, a couple of those cheap Knog front and rear lights as backup, spare batteries for the radio or rear light, and a roll of electrical tape. This isn't extra weight, these all get used at some point out on the road. The adventure of bike commuting.

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:34 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:The rule is to check if they have the tool bag, pump and bits, if so I ask if they need help; if they are carrying nothing I don't stop or ask. They have to learn. And I'd rather help someone who has at least tried to be self-sufficient even if they haven't got down the intricacies of how to remove a stubborn tyre, getting the patch to stick or how to avoid pinch-flatting when putting it all back together. Tools then help, no tools then don't, Harsh But Fair.
For maximum educational benefit, call out "sufferinyajocksmate" as you ride past ;)

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:35 am

Stopped at a red light yesterday, I was asked by a bloke on a mtb if I had stuff to change a tyre. Turned out he had spare tube, patch kit, pump, tyre levers - but no wrench to remove the wheel :roll:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:21 pm

Last night, I offered assistance to a bloke who was manfully striding down the road with his bike slung over his shoulder.

Turns out he did carry stuff to get him out of trouble - he had already dialled the missus to come and pick him up :-)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

stated

Postby stated » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:41 pm

Stopped at a red light yesterday, I was asked by a bloke on a mtb if I had stuff to change a tyre. Turned out he had spare tube, patch kit, pump, tyre levers - but no wrench to remove the wheel :roll:
If he had a patch kit he dosen't need to take off the wheel, no?

cyclenut

Postby cyclenut » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:46 pm

Good on your for helping this punter out. All you can hope is that he will learn from this experience. I once had my saddle bag stolen off my bike when it was locked up in the university bike cage. I didn't notice till I was up in the middle of the Adelaide Hills with a flat tyre. Another cyclist rendered me with assistance and I am forever grateful (would have been long hilly walk home). I felt really bad as I didn't even have any money to offer him in return for his help.
So maybe this cyclist will feel rather grateful and bad about not being able to give you some money and will sort his kit out. Otherwise there is a fair chance he is yet another one of those punters who buys a bike, rides it for a week and retires it to the shed! :roll:

You can patch a tube without taking the wheel off if in a fix. Under normal circumstances to much of a pain in the ass. Maybe this cyclist was unable to think outside the box of the norm.

stated

Postby stated » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:59 pm

Is patching a mtb tube hard/ different? I had the first flat a week ago on the 26X1.75 tyres and when I inspected the damage it was because of improper rim tape, so I patched it the same way I done dozens of times on the roady tyres but air leaked as soon as it reached 40psi, happened twice, luckily had a couple of spare tubes so used them. I am going to put a spare tube in my work bag and a small shifter and a pump.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:43 pm

Usual sorta thing for a road tube Stated. Find hole, rough up. Apply glue, allow to dry. Apply patch, massage well with tyre lever. Mind you a spare means the flattie can be fixed in comfort at work.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011